Drowned In Sound Music Forum

Anyone post on there? It's more Indie centric. Maybe a good place to discuss guitar based music.

Just wondered if any of you have ever visited their shores.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has ever been mentioned but does the mysterious ManjuShri ever speak? I ask because I don't seem to recall ever any words been typed.

It's like he or she is a ghost in the machine of watmm, and only communicates via symbols and youtube tracks. A bit like a Watmm Ouija board.

Spooky 👻

• Like 1

Hi Zephyr_Nova

Yes I was also reading this thread! I quite like the concept of How Good Are They Really, each week discussing certain bands. This thread was pretty crazy. But it's Slayer! So things seemed to go a bit haywire.

You have to explain a bit further about why you don't like it, what puts you off? 

Most threads aren't in nature like the Slayer one 

Edited by beerwolf

Seems like most of them are just there to make fun of it, with little appreciation for the way its impacted the course of music to come.  That's the general vibe I got.  I think too many users in a forum like that would grate on my nerves.  

Yah I’ve had a few too many. We shall pick this up tomorrow. Maybe via pm.

Im genuinely interested. Speak tomorrow.

I have followed Drowned in Sound on Facebook for a long time (for music news basically), but never joined the forums. Any time I've popped in there the format annoyed me so I never bothered. I guess it looks ok right now, still not great UX though. Never gotten used to Reddit for similar reasons. 

• Like 1

Well I'll let the cat out of the bag (I've been in two minds whether to say anything)

I joined a few months ago because I liked the Neil Young listening club thread, the Rolling Ambient, Modern Classical thread and the HGATR thread. And I got on really well on there, no shit posting and no being silly, zero flab and good stuff to read. I think in hindsight I was getting on a little too well, (possibly putting some long serving noses out of joint, of one person in particular). I made the critical mistake of making one drunk (proper watmm style lol) comment on the Kanye West thread. Bad idea! Of course I thought it was hilarious, and was cackling like a hyena when I sent it. But sometimes I just can't resist!! It would not of got me banned on here, not even bat an eyelid. So I wake up in the morning and of course I can't log in, been banned for 2 weeks for 'threating language'. Cool fair enough, but also thinking to myself you're a bunch of fucking hypocrites because there are hundreds of comments I've read on there using threatening language when you disagree with something, and how the fuck can you listen to Kanye Wests lyrics and possibly be offended by what I said??? Hahah that's a joke. But whatever. I'll be back soon.

First day I'm back, just posting along, this dude say's what the fuck are you doing back on MY forum (it's not his forum at all), I told him to chill out, he tells me to fuck off (not exactly leading by example are we). So instead of doing what he wants me to do, which is of course react and fall into the trap, I write a really heartfelt and kind apology. So that's it then all finished then. Posting along and this dude is having pops at me, while everybody else is liking my comments and telling him to back off and leave me alone. After a few days of getting back into the swing of things I try to log in one morning. Can't do it. I have been banned. And I know I was a ultra good boy because I know one tiny slip and its bon voyage. I get a message you are banned for 1000 years for being a racist in the Kanye West thread. Holy wow. I didn't even go back to the thread, and my original post is zero racist. As you would know I've never posted anything slightly racist. It's just a lie cooked up by cuntface to get me off the forum, he's gone crying and blithering to someone with the power to get me off. Friends in high places.

I think to myself I'm not having this I'm gonna find out who the main man is of Drowned In Sound and sign up to twitter just to tweet him what the fuck is going on his forum. I'm honest enough to admit when I'm wrong and I'm good enough to always say sorry. Always. So I sign up to twitter and low and behold what do I see on the main mans twitter page? He's been posting up my comments on his twitter feed as his personal likes from the forum. So it all fits into place. I tweeted him and explained exactly what was going on but never bothered to read the replies. I just wanted him to know the deal. Maybe I'll look later.

It all started with the Black Sabbath hgatr, when a few of us combined, in a place where Indie Rock Rules Supreme, and out numbered 20 to 1, turned it into a awesome thread.

Maybe I should quote some Kanye West lyrics about jealousy. I'm sure he has some. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Sad 1
  • 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, IDEM said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a HGATR?

Your ignorance IDEM is excused. 

It's when they (mostly indie brigade) rate artists on a music forum. Most of the forum are cool and a good bunch. They give Aphex a good score, and there are a few BOC and AE fans on there. But there is one cunt in particular Funkhouser who mugged me off and I let him get away with it. I should of destroyed the fucking cunt when I had the chance. If you're gonna get banned, then get banned fighting on your feet, not grovelling!!

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/how-good-are-they-really-aphex-twin/45777

Edited by beerwolf
22 hours ago, Gocab said:

This is a HGATR

sofia-hulten-fuck-it-up-and-start-again-

Edit: My bad, picture is IUGATR

No worries, it's the thought that counts!

33 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Your ignorance IDEM is excused. Check it out.

It's when they (mostly indie brigade) rate artists on a music forum. Most of the forum are cool and a good bunch. They give Aphex a good score, and there are a few BOC and AE fans on there. But there is one cunt in particular Funkhouser who mugged me off and I let him get away with it. I should of destroyed the fucking cunt when I had the chance. If you're gonna get banned, then get banned fighting on your feet, not grovelling!!

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/how-good-are-they-really-aphex-twin/45777

Ah, I get it, I get it! How Good Are They Really! 👨‍🎓

So Aphex Twin is better than Stevie Wonder, but not as good as Marvin Gaye. Well, waddayaknow ... This concept of slapping some random number on an artist's whole oeuvre strikes me as a bit absurd tbh.

Also, a forum that rates Aphex Twin a mere 4.18 is clearly not deserving of the mighty badger.

Edit: On the other hand, it's not that hard really and actually kind of fun.

Aphex Twin: 5

NIN: 4

Iron Maiden: 3

Arctic Monkeys: 2

No Doubt: 1

:cisfor:

Edited by IDEM
9 hours ago, IDEM said:

No worries, it's the thought that counts!

Ah, I get it, I get it! How Good Are They Really! 👨‍🎓

So Aphex Twin is better than Stevie Wonder, but not as good as Marvin Gaye. Well, waddayaknow ... This concept of slapping some random number on an artist's whole oeuvre strikes me as a bit absurd tbh.

Also, a forum that rates Aphex Twin a mere 4.18 is clearly not deserving of the mighty badger.

Edit: On the other hand, it's not that hard really and actually kind of fun.

Aphex Twin: 5

NIN: 4

Iron Maiden: 3

Arctic Monkeys: 2

No Doubt: 1

:cisfor:

Autechre:  5

Clark:  4

Tycho:  3

Kidz Bopp Volumes 1 to infinity:  2

Aphex Twin:  1