IGNORED

Affordable alternative to TR-707

Berk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Anyhow, if you are OK with a Roger Linn developed MPC-like sequencer, there's always

img5c5280c584e32_l.jpg

Even that's not super cheap anymore, but it's still a better value than most modern drum machines in the same price range. A 660 is cheaper and has a nice crunchiness to the sound (actually my favorite digital drum machine in terms of sound) but the 770 has more 80s Roland samples in it

Thanks. I think looked up the lists of samples in most of those drum machines, but couldn't actually find any with 707 samples?

I thought it had 707 but I could be misremembering.

I'm was sure the MC303 has 707 samples in it but I gave mine away to a friend a couple years ago, but I just googled it and no 707 - it has 808, 909, 606 and CR-78 but I guess the 707 wasn't cool enough yet in 1995 or whatever.

I guess the Volca Sample really is one of the best options, even the TR-8 is pretty expensive used and Roland doesn't appear to offer the 7x7 sample upgrade for it anymore.

I checked to see if that IK UNO Drum can load user samples since it's a kind of cheap-ish, under the radar thing, and I don't think it can but it does come with a library of samples from vintage drum machines including a bunch of Roland stuff, but NO 707!

It's weird how underrepresented it is.

EDIT: DR-880 has 707 samples but it looks like a used one is up in the $300+ zone usually.

2 minutes ago, user said:

No one here considers a tr-8 with 7x7 expansion a cheap/affordable alternative to an actual 707? How so? 

According to Roland's site the 7x7 expansion isn't available anymore. There's a used one with the 7x7 expansion for $425 on Reverb right now but at that price maybe a Model:Samples or Electribe sampler or something like that makes more sense.

2 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

According to Roland's site the 7x7 expansion isn't available anymore. There's a used one with the 7x7 expansion for $425 on Reverb right now but at that price maybe a Model:Samples or Electribe sampler or something like that makes more sense.

I was unaware of the discontinuation of the expansion, what a ridiculous move. They should make it freely available if they discontinue production of the tr-8, if that is the reason for the expansion pack being unavailable. 

Yeah, I guess for some machines prices can differ quite a bit based on where you are. Here in nl tr-8’s incl expansion were going for around 300,-, last time I checked. 

2 hours ago, user said:

I was unaware of the discontinuation of the expansion, what a ridiculous move. They should make it freely available if they discontinue production of the tr-8, if that is the reason for the expansion pack being unavailable. 

Yeah, I guess for some machines prices can differ quite a bit based on where you are. Here in nl tr-8’s incl expansion were going for around 300,-, last time I checked. 

I didn't dig around, maybe it's available fee somewhere on their site or included in a newer expansion or something now but the main 7x7 landing page says it's discontinued, which is ridiculous with the TR-8 still being available.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:27 AM, TubularCorporation said:

I guess the Volca Sample really is one of the best options, even the TR-8 is pretty expensive used and Roland doesn't appear to offer the 7x7 sample upgrade for it anymore.

I checked to see if that IK UNO Drum can load user samples since it's a kind of cheap-ish, under the radar thing, and I don't think it can but it does come with a library of samples from vintage drum machines including a bunch of Roland stuff, but NO 707!

The Volca Sample really does punch above its weight, especially with the custom firmware that came out a few months ago. It sounds great - just the right amount of crunch for my ears, and lots of tweakability. The sequencer is pretty lame just like all the other volcas, but there are so many parameters to motion-sequence, including the fun/useful ones unlike some of the other volcas. Also, said firmware opens up the MIDI implementation to where it should have been in the first place. That'd be my go-to for a place to sequence a bunch of crusty old drum machine samples for cheap.

The UNO is cute but no thanks on membrane buttons. They should have learned from all those terrible 80s panels.

4 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

I didn't dig around, maybe it's available fee somewhere on their site or included in a newer expansion or something now but the main 7x7 landing page says it's discontinued, which is ridiculous with the TR-8 still being available.

As far as I can tell it's not available anywhere anymore. Perhaps they were afraid that second hand tr-8 sales might hurt the sales of their freshly anounced tr6-s...

https://www.roland.com/global/products/tr-6s/

On 10/1/2020 at 1:25 AM, user said:

No one here considers a tr-8 with 7x7 expansion a cheap/affordable alternative to an actual 707? How so? 

Exactly sure you can get one for £200!!! You shouldn't have to pay more as there are so many of them around lol.

Archived