IGNORED

Your personal favourite of your own tunes

picklish

How many tracks have you got out there, and which one is your personal favourite? Tough ask maybe

There's so many posters with so many BandClouds that it would take a long time to go through them all. A LONG time.

I'm not gonna tell you mine as it makes the thread sound like "hey guys listen to me, listen to my tunes, liiiiiiiiiiiisten" but it's not that, I wanna know yours 

Sorry if this thread has been done afore

• Like 1

By trade I'm a sleep scientist and the opening minutes are taking me here

The term catathrenia originates from the Greek kata (below) and threnia (to lament) and describes a rare condition which occurs during sleep being characterized by monotonous irregular groans also known as nocturnal groaning

I've had a concept album about sleep disorders bashing around in the back of my head for years but I've never done anything about it, except recording my own EEG signals and turning it into audio, but I like the idea of having some catathrenia in it

• Like 1

cool, I like the section after 1m20s. Thats a lotta notes to pack in that bassline at the start!

Had a flick through your other tunes, I prefer Tell Me the most

Usually with my tunes I generally prefer the ones with the most plays but its far from always the case

• Like 2

I'm pretty keen on drone, its definitely got its time and place, but I'd be pushed to name my favourite drone track. Or any drone track.

There was an internet radio station playing drone 24/7 that put a shout out for tracks a while back, i forget the name, but I can't ever resist slapping a donk or a dyad on anything and everything drony, so i was always told to sook the root when i sent them stuff.

Are you thinking of film scores or scenes when you make it, or is it just for getting transcendental/mainlining horse/drowning out the persistent sirens and allowing sweet sleep to take you?

• Like 1

very very lush, will definitely listen to that again, loved the sound choices of the rounded guitar and lofi skippish trainline drums and the breathy overdriven wind(?) type sound in the fade out, really sweet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The transition to the keychange toward the end of this. (At roughly 4 mins)

I had been sitting there trying so many weird solutions to transitioning into that keychange and then that one happened..just felt..right and smooth i guess. In my mind its an elegant solution to a stupid, self inflicted problem.

I tend to get kinda annoyed with a lot of my own music so its kinda refreshing to have a moment like that one.

Edited by mause
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, mause said:

The transition to the keychange toward the end of this. (At roughly 4 mins)

I had been sitting there trying so many weird solutions to transitioning into that keychange and then that one happened..just felt..right and smooth i guess. In my mind its an elegant solution to a stupid, self inflicted problem.

I tend to get kinda annoyed with a lot of my own music so its kinda refreshing to have a moment like that one.

nice, i like that you've got a favourite bit of a track, satisfying when it works out like that.

When you're doing a key change like that do you have a look at the circle of fifths or whatever to decide where to go, or just bash on till it sounds right? I usually do the latter but it would probably would make sense to do the former

The track sounds like someone, can't quite think who........ ?

1 minute ago, picklish said:

When you're doing a key change like that do you have a look at the circle of fifths or whatever to decide where to go, or just bash on till it sounds right? I usually do the latter but it would probably would make sense to do the former

dont usually do the whole circle of fifths thing..just play around with chords until it feels "right" i guess...circle of fifths stuff is good tho.

3 minutes ago, picklish said:

The track sounds like someone, can't quite think who........ ?

? wHo CoUlD iT bEeEeEeEeee???
? hehe

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Goiter Sanchez said:

My fav track that I've released is probably this one, the closing track on my debut EP:

Really nice drums and i liked the unexpected vocals and holy shit i was not expecting that ending at all!

12 hours ago, Goiter Sanchez said:

My fav track that I've released is probably this one, the closing track on my debut EP:

yoo this is wild, nice work!

strong Djrum vibes with the violins and vocals, luv it

Edited by mause

2 minutes ago, mause said:

dont usually do the whole circle of fifths thing..just play around with chords until it feels "right" i guess...circle of fifths stuff is good tho.

? wHo CoUlD iT bEeEeEeEeee???
? hehe

I only know a bit of theory but whenever i learn or remember a new trick I'm always like 'fuck that was actually really useful'. 

In my head people who know too much theory end up creating noodle jazz and atonal inharmonic classical frippery which I don't often enjoy but maybe that's a unwarranted prejudice

Just now, picklish said:

I only know a bit of theory but whenever i learn or remember a new trick I'm always like 'fuck that was actually really useful'. 

In my head people who know too much theory end up creating noodle jazz and atonal inharmonic classical frippery which I don't often enjoy but maybe that's a unwarranted prejudice

yeah its great when theres a lil nugget of theory that proves to useful like that! and yeah, there is always gonna be those big brain thinker types that wank around making stuff thats functionally useless but technically impressive.."good" music, in my opinion, is functional..useful..not just clever on paper but acctually does something..goes somewhere, its gotta hit that special place where the brain just gushes feel good chems!

ive always thought about a lot of theory as, by all accounts, an analytic tool really..generally speaking, its more suited for deconstructing something after the fact to understand why it works..less so for applying during writing. buut knowing these things can help in the writing, like..another tool to yer belt i guess

17 hours ago, Goiter Sanchez said:

Very cool. Those chords are super lush. Beat was pretty wild. Not usually my kinda vibe beatwise but very impressed with this. Sound design and the way everything flows is pretty excellent.

2 hours ago, plugexpert said:

Have a couple of personal favs accumulated, especially the older tracks that I thought had lost, but through epic recovery have recoverered. Listening back feels like a time-machine to different feels. I always like the energy in this one;

https://plugexpert.bandcamp.com/track/hardcore-jungle-gabber

"Made with protracker on the Amiga 500 somewhere between 94 & 95"  - i started making stuff on acid pro and rebirth about 98, a couple of years later, but was definitely influenced by all the chaos of these older Amiga kids and their hardcore. In Scotland around 95 it was Ultra-Sonic - Annhiliating Rhythm and Rhythmic State - Soap On A Rope the likes, the Dutch stuff always seemed a little harder, a bit more serious, a bit less daft.

Definitely full on energy ?

Hey thanks all! Yeah, I like restless arrangements that change but retain unifying elements, often a fun challenge composing in that way! The track is from this release: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp.com/album/adapteras-ep

On 8/20/2020 at 7:05 PM, sheatheman said:

This one has the most plays so I guess it’s the best 

Love the chilly fall night vibes, coming home from a techno club/night wearing a thick jacket.

• Like 1