IGNORED

Deftones – Ohms – September 25

jules

Intro riff is like the happy-go-lucky cousin of the My Own Summer riff.

Oft when I read "deftones" my brain interprets it as "deft ones".  This has always bugged me just a little bit.  Careful when you're merging words together, bands.

8 hours ago, zero said:

I was a big fan of the Palms album Chino did with Isis. wish they could have kept that going. 

Keep meaning to listen to this, thanks for reminding me 

• Like 2

^pretty sure Chino only knows like 15 melodies and just recycles them and transposes/slows/speeds them. that's okay tho, he's still good in his niche.

Abe is and always has been great yeah. agree he stood out on this track. and good that Stephen is trying to get more interesting over the last few albums i just dont think it serves their songs well. got some good groovy riffs for the main section of this one tho. not holding out much hope for this album after how Gore hit me (was not into it at all) and something about this track being the last on the album seems a little odd.

video is okay at least. sorta surreal video gameish vibes.

haven't listened to any of the stuff they've put out since the self-titled record (not sure why - is it good/bad?) but I still bump white pony and around the fur every now and again.

anyway this new track is pretty decent. guitar tone and riffs seem very CKY-esque, although maybe not quite as intricate. love that boss oc-2/3 sound.

6 minutes ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

the self-titled record (not sure why - is it good/bad?)

It's their weakest effort. Maybe you should give a go to ''Koi No Yokan'' and ''Saturday Night Wrist''.

15 hours ago, Jafs said:

It's their weakest effort. Maybe you should give a go to ''Koi No Yokan'' and ''Saturday Night Wrist''.

Probably my favourite album of theirs. Super heavy. Only real misstep was Saturday Night Wrist. 

On 8/21/2020 at 3:59 PM, zero said:

I was a big fan of the Palms album Chino did with Isis. wish they could have kept that going. 

I agree, I really love that album. I wish there was more. Though I do wish there were some heavier parts, ISIS always had the ability to get super dark.

On 8/21/2020 at 4:57 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Oft when I read "deftones" my brain interprets it as "deft ones".  This has always bugged me just a little bit.  Careful when you're merging words together, bands.

I always thought that was part of the point of their name, no?

On 8/23/2020 at 4:30 AM, Richie Sombrero said:

Probably my favourite album of theirs. Super heavy. Only real misstep was Saturday Night Wrist. 

SNW seemed like a bunch of songs pooled together rather than an album. I know the band was in really bad shape at that point and Im pretty sure they put that together without all being together at all in a studio. Gore for me was their worst effort, so Im hoping Ohms is a return to form. KNY is absolutely perfect IMO.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 3:57 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Intro riff is like the happy-go-lucky cousin of the My Own Summer riff.

• Like 1

New song is fine. I've kept up with them (fan since Around the Fur) and I've kept up with them but I think at this point I've just outgrown them (probably a long time ago). The last one I truly enjoyed was the self-titled and that's because I was more into they style when it came out so it stayed in rotation for a while, I actually got to know it as much as the previous ones. It's solid, quite under-appreciated for some reason (likely the curse of being a follow-up to the fan favorite White Pony). When Saturday Night Wrists came out I don't think I picked it up right away (probably didn't care for the single "Hole in the Earth" and still don't) but a friend eventually persuaded me to check it out. And I thought the cover art was great so what the hell. Anyway, it was decent but I didn't spend a whole lot of time with it (tried played it a week or so ago when Ohms was announced and it was tough getting through that awful first song). I did think Diamond Eyes and Koi no yokan were quite good and superior to SNW, and played them a good bit when they came out. They each contained a few songs with fantastic riffs. But Gore was a disappointment and I probably only spun it 2 or 3 times. It's probably me, but this might be the first album of theirs I don't bother listening to. I've changed, and they really haven't.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a promising good end of year 

new deftones 

new ae 

new zf boxset

new gaspar noé Shortcut

new jockstrap (jk)

so far best ep is Terminus by forest drive west

• 2 weeks later...

Wow on first listen I prefer this a million times than gore 

good deftones !

guitar and vocals upfront 

a bassist who has space to play

Drums : for me it’s the first time I hear Abe in the back, you can almost lose some ghost notes

or maybe my tinnitus is playing with me again

Edited by zaizai