IGNORED

Mr. Bungle - The Wrath of the Easter Bunny Demo (Re-recording)

Rubin Farr

2 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Grabbed my red vinyl day of the drop ?

Saw them on the tour and it was ???

I only ever saw Faith No More open for Billy Idol in the 90s, from the nosebleed section of an arena.

Whoa... what a weird combo (re: FNM/Billy Idol).  I heard that mentioned in an interview once before.  Wonder how that came about.

I am reasonably excited about this release.  Hope they make new new music too, but very happy to hear them breathe new life into their teenage vision.  Crazy that they could even attempt to play this shit at such a young age.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:49 AM, Stickfigger said:

This EP makes me realise that sometimes it's better if bands you love stay "broken up"... Not the Bungle return many would have hoped for ... Sounds like Dead Cross 

this is a new recording of a collection they wrote before their first album (high school?)

haven't listened yet but interested

Edited by very honest

20 hours ago, bendish said:

FNM was huge for me but cant help thinking they didn't age particularly well.

Never really tried bungle too deeply. 

I still love FNM but you're right, they really do sound of their time. Even Sol Invictus sounded dated when it came out. Still a decent record though.

3 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

I'm not sure about this thrash stuff but I love Disco Volante and the self-titled album. And California is a fucking beast, if you haven't heard it you're missing out.

It's more like some old dudes reviving their teenage kicks by rerecording the first and worst demo, which is ok but whatever.
Yeah, those 3 Mr Bungle albums are gold, was hoping for more like these, that's the eclectic Mr Bungle sound I love.

2 hours ago, beerwolf said:

I’ll check it out. But I much prefer Tomahawk.

Tomahawk is really great minus "that native american chant" album, which was/is just a failure.

34 minutes ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

I still love FNM but you're right, they really do sound of their time. Even Sol Invictus sounded dated when it came out. Still a decent record though.

Agreed. As long as you don't look in the mirror, it's as the '90s never ended.
I still like to put FNM on while cooking sometimes, the soundtrack of feeling young, strong and beautiful, anticipating that really good meal.

• Like 6

Listening to the preview track was fun, but I would have much preferred it if they'd done Secret Chiefs 3 with Mike Patton. 

Or just a new Secret Chiefs 3 album without Mike Patton. Not a big Mike Patton fan, tbh.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I understand it's a re-recording of a thrash demo, and I listened to my fair share of thrash when I was younger, but I don't know if I'll listen to this more than once. Cool that they're having fun though.

It's tough to say whether I wish for them to record new material or not, with this thrash-heavy lineup. Doesn't mean it would end up thrash, but there's a good chance. Who knows. Whatever. We'll just have to see. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KovalainenFanBoy said:

that, and it being badly overproduced

This is definitely true.

Although, on the other hand ... maybe it makes them sound a little more ... adult.

• 4 weeks later...

Slight tangent but just hopped into say I just played Angel Dust for the first time in yonks (and I mean yonks) and I was a very happy bunny by the end of it. Total killer album. Seems to of aged perfectly.

Lucky the singles in the years since have never been overplayed and therefore overkilled by the dreaded work rock radio stations. Or any other media channels. Small Victory and Midlife Crisis are still fresh as a daisy ? And (almost) the rest of it SLAYS.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of disco volante and california but this isn't really my cup.

Secret chiefs on the other hand.. I love pretty much everything they've ever released. They long ago eclipsed bungle for me.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2020 at 3:11 PM, sidewinder said:

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I understand it's a re-recording of a thrash demo, and I listened to my fair share of thrash when I was younger, but I don't know if I'll listen to this more than once. Cool that they're having fun though.

My thoughts exactly. Would be awesome if came out with a proper follow-up to California but I'm not getting my hopes up. 

• Like 2

Today my spouse told me "we don't like that", when I listened to the the tracks on bandcamp again, and it's true we really don't. 
Except for "Grizzly Adams" which is pretty pretty and good at building expectations, before we get to jump of the cliff like lemmings towards a ship that has sailed and sunken decades ago.
Too bad.

• Like 1