IGNORED

Falling in love with Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Polytrix

Is one of my favourite RDJ albums, in fact is key to understand the new electronic scene born in late 80s / early 90s. You can like it more or less, but it had/has a great impact to lot of artists. Somehow he managed to resurrect a lost germanic/french/british wave injecting fresh air with innovation and creativity since the oldies JMJ, Krafterk, Vangelis, Brian Eno, etc.

Edited by Diurn
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 11:24 PM, nikisoko said:

if you just realized how good this is, you're too late.

No you aren't.

So sick when an album or song clicks and you get it. Whenever that is.
The best thing is that from there, you can just own it.

Heliosphan is incredible but in 2020 I am not going to listen to it 15 times a day. I wish I only just discovered it, to get that feeling back.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, NVious said:

Rolled my car while this album was playing on the stereo a while back. "I" was the tune I was listening to as it happened. 

my favorite song created by a cat

45 minutes ago, diatoms said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is that true? Awesome if true.

9 hours ago, diatoms said:
9 hours ago, NVious said:

Rolled my car while this album was playing on the stereo a while back. "I" was the tune I was listening to as it happened. 

8 hours ago, NVious said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is that true? Awesome if true.

I Remember RDJ saying in an interview that he used to say "I" was made accidentally by his cat stepping on different keys for a minute:)

• Haha 2

ok so i'm a little late to the party... but i'm having my moment ???

with my turntable recently set up, i've been making mix tapes by hooking it up to the cassette deck. i dug out a copy of SAW85-92 i scored back in 2012 - the original not the remaster.

i can't tell you how good it sounds!! i have it in bed with me on a sony walkman, also been taking it outdoors. there are many subtle details and hidden layers in the music which no amount of lossy internet fandom could reveal. it really is like hearing it for the first time - on a tape, with something gently whirring as 'Tha' taps along...

• Like 2

The double opening KO blow of Xtal and Tha should be enough to convince anyone that they are embarking on a trip into classic album territory. I remember being a few minutes into Tha after having my ears x-rayed by Xtal and knew no qualms I was listening to something special. This album has always had plenty of praise, even the NME (in its 90's glory days) had this album somewhere in the top 15 of the top 50 albums of that decade. Most of the NME articles they did with him were great. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 9:22 PM, zlwwlz said:

Yeah still listening to this day, I find it great when I want to concentrate as well, the youtube compilations of his soundcloud dump are also amazing: 

Yeah, this. I've worked endless hours with this album on repeat. It's my Ritalin.

Ha, same here. I had years where I have literally listened to it every day multiple times at work and then at home when doing DIY projects.

It is very weird but I have not found much other sutff that allows me to intellectually crunch away while at the same time being attention demanding by itself.

It is in sync with my neurons passing information or something and makes the experience more pleasant while it is at it.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 4:32 PM, Diurn said:

Is one of my favourite RDJ albums, in fact is key to understand the new electronic scene born in late 80s / early 90s. You can like it more or less, but it had/has a great impact to lot of artists. Somehow he managed to resurrect a lost germanic/french/british wave injecting fresh air with innovation and creativity since the oldies JMJ, Krafterk, Vangelis, Brian Eno, etc.

This was a key aspect of me appreciating how important it was as I grew more and more enamored with it. Kind of a feedback loop of appreciation between the music itself and the context and crafting of it. It still sounds very unique and futuristic while increasingly classic and familiar. There's a very straightforward, playful and unabashed sound to it and I'm immediately engrossed by any contemporary musicians who tap into the same vibe.

• Like 1

been way too long i havent listen to the album in full. there's so much memories around the time ive discovered this album. there was less good music around, internet wasnt taking away all my free time. social media didnt even exist. simpler times.

I remember just randomly putting Xtal on. that was it, i was a fan.

Edited by Ayya Khema
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i remember ageispolis was in the first batch of random tracks i downloaded off of kazaa that got me into aphex twin. but of course this also included "outside kickass violin solo" and several other fakes  :cerious:

• Haha 2

On 11/2/2020 at 8:19 PM, Boxus said:

i remember ageispolis was in the first batch of random tracks i downloaded off of kazaa that got me into aphex twin. but of course this also included "outside kickass violin solo" and several other fakes  :cerious:

smooth.thumb.png.c5ee6191d17b0a8b2447f596e5b36a43.png

Smooth!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

i recently tried to remake "Xtal" as accurately as possible and it came out sounding pretty damn close to the original lol

it was really hard because the quality of the recording is technically 'bad'. it was difficult to recreate that tape fidelity from 85 or whenever that track was recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlIYcS9mIlM

Edited by mister miller
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Dead Geoff vs Wolf Man Part 6

Good evening fellow Aphex Twin fans! Top of the evening to you. 

I know Spotify is seen as witchcraft around these parts but I like it, and seeing as you don’t know where I live you can’t come round my dwelling and chuck me in the village pond to see if I sink or swim. I’m kind of fascinated with numbers of plays a track has had. This is a very underrated track (2.5 million +) in my humble opinion. One of his best.

• Haha 1