IGNORED

Wagon Christ - Recepticon (10/24/2020)

auxFACTOR

Whole album slaps, the production and final master/cut of this is p amazing. 

I enjoyed every track quite a bit, but I think Same Ol’ Is my initial fav (if I had a gun to my head/was forced to choose). It just pounds so good. Great album for a big stereo ?

I went CD on this. Vinyl was sadly out of my price range... plus it completes my wagon Christ CD collection... ? gonna listen through the flacs now. I wonder if this’ll end up on Spotify. My guess is no...

Been listening to this on repeat since it came out. It's lovely! Probably my favorite Vibert release since Rhythm, although Bizarster was pretty fantastic too (Can't believe that came out 5 years ago already!) 

Hello continues the trend of excellent Wagon Christ intros. Luke is the master of first tracks. The rest are all quality too - I feel like I usually end up skipping at least one or two on Vibert albums, but not the case here. That middle run of Designer-Bleep-Same Ol is sublime. Super fun album

• Like 4

As much as I love this album, I’m just going to throw this question out there... but what makes it a Wagon Christ album for any of you?

I’m on the fence a bit as this strikes me as just a really good Luke Vibert album, maybe a Rhythm 2.0. It’s missing some of the synth work I consider integral to Wagon Christ releases... the beats and pacing are Wagon Christ for sure... 

What’s the main synth in tracks like Shadows or Toomorrow that are found basically only in his Wagon Christ releases? That’s what’s missing for me on this one.

Im not complaining at all to be clear, it’s top notch vibert for me immediately one of my favourite albums of his of all time. Just not sure it’s hitting me as a Wagon Christ release. /drunk rant

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

23 minutes ago, yekker said:

Probably more samples in it than other aliases right?

No I don’t think so, the recent Vibert barrage (amen andrews, modern rave and rave hop) had way, way more samples. 

It feels like Wagon Christ to me, but I've struggled with this before, what is it exactly that makes up each particular pseudonym, and not really come up with anything terribly specific. He has his internal logic, and ultimately that all I/we really need to know, I guess...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

As much as I love this album, I’m just going to throw this question out there... but what makes it a Wagon Christ album for any of you?

I’m on the fence a bit as this strikes me as just a really good Luke Vibert album, maybe a Rhythm 2.0. It’s missing some of the synth work I consider integral to Wagon Christ releases... the beats and pacing are Wagon Christ for sure... 

What’s the main synth in tracks like Shadows or Toomorrow that are found basically only in his Wagon Christ releases? That’s what’s missing for me on this one.

Im not complaining at all to be clear, it’s top notch vibert for me immediately one of my favourite albums of his of all time. Just not sure it’s hitting me as a Wagon Christ release. /drunk rant

Luke has always said there's a certain vibe that WC tracks have- so to me it's interesting when you have a straight up drum n bass/jungle track like Wet Leg or All my Fingers Freak Mix that fall in the WC discography.   Do I consider Recepticon a WC?  certainly... I think the overall quality is a notch up from Rave Hop ( Which is very Wagon Christ-eque).   

The synth your referring to that features heavily  on Sorry I make You Lush and Toomorrow is synth Luke created in Reason a patch in Malstrom i believe.

• 2 weeks later...

been listening to this a lot the past few days. holy hell the drums sound super! they have a very full, bass-y sound. reminds me a little of the drum sounds on Syro, very very well produced.

that part when the drums first kick in on Special Designer Song - so fucking good! that massive back and forth bassline, then the heavy beat kicks in. if I still messed around with turntables, that would be a perfect loop to grab and launch a scratching assault over, if scratching was still cool...

On 11/6/2020 at 9:49 PM, Hugh Mughnus said:

IMO Wagon Christ albums all have a similar vibe running throughout, where as Luke Vibert albums tend to change up each time. from trip-hop to acid to disco, Vibert albums tend to stick to a certain style for each album. this may not be true for every single track, but just my take on it.

Wagon Christ albums always seem to be very goofy/funny sample heavy, and have a more "playful" sense about them. again, not every track, as there are indeed some darker moments on some tracks. 

One thing I've thought before is why was "We Hear You" released as a Vibert album, and not WC? that one seemed to fit the WC mold more than the other Vibert albums.

13 minutes ago, zero said:

One thing I've thought before is why was "We Hear You" released as a Vibert album, and not WC? that one seemed to fit the WC mold more than the other Vibert albums.

I agree - and maybe even Rhythm as well? Those two albums seem to straddle the line quite closely.

After repeated listens I can tell I was just having a moment when I posted that lol recepticon is clearly a wc album. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1