IGNORED

What's your favourite Spring Reverb VST?

TheBro

In all seriousness, for spring reverb it's probably best to use a convolution reverb and load it with spring impulses. Springs are really hard to model algorithmically.

Also, if you have hardware, just buy a cheap spring tank and hook it up to your mixing desk. You'll need to crank the gain going in and after it comes back out and you'll need to do some serious EQ-ing but it beats buying a dedicated unit.

You can make a spring style reverb in Ableton, as long as you don’t need the cheesy spring pop sounds.

set the quality to eco, size to below 2, and diffusion filter to a pretty aggressive bandpass. 

19 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

You can make a spring style reverb in Ableton, as long as you don’t need the cheesy spring pop sounds.

Them's fightin words! 

more of a response to chim's post tbh. but my point is the ableton reverb has parameters to get you almost anywhere you need to be. it's a fantastic plugin. spring reverb is really about the resonant frequencies of a spring that bring out guitar tones really well, but you can apply that theory to any sound. its all about the diffusion network baby. a size parameter helps also, which i guess is the math that handles the reflections.

19 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Willing to bet some squid that TheBro is not looking to make surf rock though... ?

Nah I've always wanted some sort of Spring Reverb whether its hardware or software for dub mainly. I'm trying some dub at the moment lol.

I've still never heard a convincing digital spring reverb, not even close, but fake sounding digital spring is its own sound.

That said the closest I've heard is the Accutronics bricks, but those are more hybrid because they're three or four digital delay lines running on independent clocks so they drift against each other and act kind of like springs, but they're all summed in analog.

It's not a reverb but I remember this being an OK physical model of springs, and I haven't tried it since v2 came out:

http://www.taron.de/lots/

4 hours ago, TheBro said:

Nah I've always wanted some sort of Spring Reverb whether its hardware or software for dub mainly. I'm trying some dub at the moment lol.

Dub definitely needs the 

5 hours ago, sheatheman said:

cheesy spring pop sounds.

If you don't need them (btw: f*** you ? ) why on earth would you want a spring reverb? If it's just about the EQ profile then, yes, something like you did in the Ableton video above will suffice.

It’s a primitive method, and all of the springy qualities are artifacts of the method. I like the tone of a spring reverb but don’t really want to open it up and thump it to get all experimental. I love a real spring but kind of despise the digital versions of pops and whatnot.

Sort of.  The biggest real Accutronics tanks (not the digital brick they license from Belton) is only like $20 and the driver circuitry you need to actually make it sound decent isn't that expensive or complicated (putting it directly on an aux send will sort of work but it's usually really noisy and the last tank I did that with regularly stopped working, which may or may not be related), but nobody really makes an affordable line level kit or anything that I know of.

This looks good but $120 is really expensive for what it is:

http://hamptone.com/products/sr1-kit/

The u-he one is fun, but I stick to convolution for spring. Been using ConvologyXT since it's a free plugin. One spring reverb that has really interested me is the UAD AKG BX 20 plugin, demo I heard sounded really nice, don't own a Universl Audio thingy so it's out of the question, no idea of it's using convolution or not.

4 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Sort of.  The biggest real Accutronics tanks (not the digital brick they license from Belton) is only like $20 and the driver circuitry you need to actually make it sound decent isn't that expensive or complicated (putting it directly on an aux send will sort of work but it's usually really noisy and the last tank I did that with regularly stopped working, which may or may not be related), but nobody really makes an affordable line level kit or anything that I know of.

The driver circuit is nothing but two amplifiers, and maybe a bit of EQ, however. You can do the amplification in your mixing desk and the EQ-ing in your DAW.

Noise is part of the charm, IMHO but YMMV of course.

Mine occasionally stops working too but that’s because the cables are home made (sloppily).

I’d say go for a tank, and get a big one so you can have a long decay (which you can then shorten in your DAW if you want).

6 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Really suspicious that the kit has no actual spring in the list of components. Maybe it's just that I don't know the first thing about spring reverbs though.

2 minutes ago, thawkins said:

no actual spring

Contrary to popular belief, the "spring" in spring reverb actually refers to the season. You'll notice it'll sound like rubbish any other time of the year. Not enough pollen to make a proper connection. 

It would be interesting to build my own spring reverb with some insane spring set up. Like super long springs or a dozen different springs with different harmonic frequencies etc.

36 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Really suspicious that the kit has no actual spring in the list of components. Maybe it's just that I don't know the first thing about spring reverbs though.

It says reverb tanks are required. I guess something like this: https://en.uraltone.com/electronic-components/reverb-tanks.html

Archived