IGNORED

John Frusciante - Maya (Timesig/Planet-Mu)

kiya

Yes, John Frusciante from the Red Hot Chili Peppers..

https://johnfrusciante.bandcamp.com/album/maya

The track that's available now is fucking top notch, I still can't believe I'm listening to the guy from RHCP... being friends with Aaron Funk did him well.

Edited by kiya
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

John Frusciante releases the first instrumental electronic album under his own name on Aaron Funk's Timesig label. The record is dedicated to his cat Maya who recently passed away, a fellow traveller in his otherwise solitary music making sessions. He says "Maya was with me as I made music for 15 years, so I wanted to name it after her. She loved music, and with such a personal title, it didn't seem right to call myself Trickfinger, somehow, so it's by John Frusciante."

'Maya' is inspired by his favourite music: '91 to '96 UK breakbeat hardcore and jungle. It’s a varied and personal take with sophisticated, authentic production balanced against John’s acute sense of melody, an inspired blending of machines and samples infused with a joyful energy.

The process of making his tracks changed over time as John explains; “For a full year before I started this record, I worked within self-imposed limitations and rules that made the music-making process as difficult as possible, programming for programming's sake. After a full year of that, I decided to make things easier, to the degree that I could regularly finish tracks I enjoyed listening to, while continuing many of the practices I‘d developed. Throughout the recording of Maya, I would prepare to make each track very slowly, but would finish tracks very quickly. I'd spend weeks making breakbeats, souping up a drum machine, making DX7 patches, and so on. By the time an idea came up that seemed like the beginning of a tune, I had a lot of fresh elements ready to go."

huh

Huh. Interesting. I remember around the time of TCH, one of the BOC guys recommended this guy's stuff. Looking forward to checking it out. 

3 hours ago, goDel said:

His other releases are under Trickfinger ? Or has he used other names as well?

that's the one i was thinking of, and i guess it's his only alias, though he is in some groups. ataxia is good. https://www.discogs.com/artist/79827-John-Frusciante

Edited by very honest
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

I'd put most RHCP fans into the 38 - 43 age band tbqh

I'd put most IDM fans into the 35-45 bracket. People who were in their late teens in the late 90s or early 2000s.

• Like 2

His Trickfinger stuff is pretty great, especially the first album. 

Under his own name, Foregrow is a lovely record. PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone is basically late '90s SP/Aphex mixed with his own lo-fi solo stuff.

11 minutes ago, purlieu said:

His Trickfinger stuff is pretty great, especially the first album. 

Under his own name, Foregrow is a lovely record. PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone is basically late '90s SP/Aphex mixed with his own lo-fi solo stuff.

Enclosure is pretty terrible though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 6:17 PM, goDel said:

Mine goes from 16 to 78! ?

1806aa9c-b570-11e6-88e6-10b95c3cfac0.jpg

ay nice I have an L78. The extra speeds are not much use but it's good to have. I never figured out if that slider has discrete values or if you can play anything from 78 to 16 rpm (as in, 60 rpm for example)

• Like 1