IGNORED

John Frusciante - Maya (Timesig/Planet-Mu)

kiya

I love me some of that '91-'96 rave/breakbeat hardcore/jungle stuff dearly myself but what can I say? I never would have guessed he'd be quite so into this stuff; I'm not surprised he likes it at all, though being a friend and collaborator with Aaron Funk; I'll definitely give this a listen but idk about buying it... wonder how many die hard RHCP fans are gonna get turned into junglists thru this? One can only hope I suppose

• Like 2

2 hours ago, splesh said:

... wonder how many die hard RHCP fans are gonna get turned into junglists thru this? One can only hope I suppose

One of my best friends is the biggest rhcp fan I’ve ever met. He literally has their logo tattooed on his back. He is one of the last people I know that would ever willingly listen to jungle. He thinks JF is just being a “weirdo”. It kinda gives me a little hope that bad jungle isn’t going to have a renaissance wave in next year’s Grammys or something... but I wouldn’t mind a bump in the value of all of my old jungle 12”s before selling them off. 

• Sad 1
  • Burger 1

I've listened to some of his solo albums (made with guitars), and his Trickfinger material has been on my radar for a while. Got nothing on today so I'll give it some of it a spin.

I won't go into how much I detest some of his RHCP band mates. 

Edited by beerwolf

I remember him namedropping Ae as one of his biggest influences back when he and Josh Klinghoffer released A Sphere in the Heart of Silence back in 2004, although that album was more Radiohead-ish than anything else. Was always a bit disappointed it took him quite so long to start releasing full on electronic stuff, and apparently what he's put out is still only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the amount of material he's recorded.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, purlieu said:

I remember him namedropping Ae as one of his biggest influences back when he and Josh Klinghoffer released A Sphere in the Heart of Silence back in 2004, although that album was more Radiohead-ish than anything else. Was always a bit disappointed it took him quite so long to start releasing full on electronic stuff, and apparently what he's put out is still only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the amount of material he's recorded.

Yeah I reckon he has tonnes of gear. His divorce sounded horrible.

• 3 weeks later...

californication was on the radio the other day and i was fucking gobsmacked at how bad the solo was. jaw droppingly bad. somehow in my mind i had remembered it better than what i was hearing. out of tune, out of time - something i could play and i've never picked up a guitar in my life. hilarious stuff. and of course keidis is a shite singer who is always flat.

anyway i liked that track OP

• Haha 3

He made the peppers great imo. Bad solos? Its about the feels man.
Like the 2 tracks, its fun and any album about a cat is a win for me. Will give it a listen or 2 but he prob got money enough and rian treanor made a great album sooo gonna get me that 1 instead

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dr lopez said:

californication was on the radio the other day and i was fucking gobsmacked at how bad the solo was. jaw droppingly bad. somehow in my mind i had remembered it better than what i was hearing. out of tune, out of time - something i could play and i've never picked up a guitar in my life. hilarious stuff

It's true!  I was so weirded out when I first heard that song as a kid, like "WTF is Fruciante doing... isn't he a guitarist?"  I never understood that solo.  Was it deliberately bad?  I can't think of another solo that's baffled me as much.

Also, he has the best falsetto.  There better be falsetto all over this motherfucker.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 10:59 AM, dr lopez said:

californication was on the radio the other day and i was fucking gobsmacked at how bad the solo was. jaw droppingly bad. somehow in my mind i had remembered it better than what i was hearing. out of tune, out of time - something i could play and i've never picked up a guitar in my life. hilarious stuff. and of course keidis is a shite singer who is always flat.

anyway i liked that track OP

On 9/2/2020 at 9:37 AM, Candiru said:

*Frusciante guitar solo*

i gave a listen to both those rhcp tracks again (probably first time in 15 years) and both solos are great..  chill af and fits the songs perfectly.

back to the album at hand, im not liking brand e nearly as much as the other 2 preview tracks..

• Like 1

Who cares how the guitar solo in Californication sounds when it’s sitting in one of the worst sounding productions in history, don’t even get me started on that hack Rubin because everything he’s been involved with for 25 years has been absolute shit and thanks for the tinnitus from having to listen to all of your loudness war casualty crap on every radio station on earth circa 2000 you shit I had to break up with Nancy because she wouldn’t stop playing Scar Tissue and I still miss you Nancy I’m so sorry it wasn’t me it was the dynamic range and also when Reggie slipped me that bowl with the opium residue I had no idea what I was saying I miss you baby my life has really turned around since then I swear and I don’t even cum in that sock anymore and no I don’t only talk about how you should really watch Firefly unless it’s 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3