IGNORED

John Frusciante - Maya (Timesig/Planet-Mu)

kiya

On 10/15/2020 at 5:20 AM, purlieu said:

He's a fan of 'sloppy' playing, which probably explains that solo. You ought to listen to his solo debut, Niandra LaDes and Usually Just a T-Shirt, if you think that playing was a bit off.

wasn't that just the heroin playing on that one though? I get what you're saying about sloppy playing, but he was barely alive during that period.

and one of my favorite performances of his where he completely went off key was the '92 SNL rendition of Under the Bridge.  

• Like 1

Nah, it was recorded while he was still in the Chilis - a lot while on tour - and he didn't really get into heroin big time until after he'd left the band. Some of Smile from the Streets You Hold was recorded while he was a junkie, and that album was released to fund his habit, but there's little to connect the drug to his debut.

• Like 1

Maybe a apprentice, not a wizard. But it’s hard to knock the man too much, doing a 360 on his usual day job, and having a go. Any Aphex fan is a friend of mine so no hard feelings ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

On a bit of a Renoise bender, so checked this out again.

He's not musically incompetent, but the sequencing itself is lackluster. I'd almost say "amateur".

Still, it's fun that he's doing this.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Just a reminder that this is very good. It has grown on me a lot.

Still cant believe this guy is a chili pepper... what is the musical Venn diagram here?

Edited by gnarlybog

19 hours ago, gnarlybog said:

Still cant believe this guy is a chili pepper... what is the musical Venn diagram here?

Seems to me became friends with vsnares well back but not sure how that happened.

He talks about his electronic influences in this article such as the Analord series, Confield, Drum N’ Bass For Papa and Cavalcade Of Glee. By the looks of it he’s been delving into collecting and creating electronic music for quite some time now.

https://thequietus.com/articles/28961-john-frusciante-maya-interview-red-hot-chili-peppers-favourite-music

• 4 months later...

Hot take: This is one of the strongest IDM records I have heard in years. It really grows on you. There are a lot of cool acts in the genre, but you rarely hear such strong melodies and compositions. Often IDM acts feel too derivative of the pioneers or just bland. This album hits a nice sweet spot.

Edited by gnarlybog
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 5:16 PM, gnarlybog said:

His first electronic album was 2004's A Sphere in the Heart of Silence, a collaboration with Josh Klinghoffer (the guy who replaced him in RHCP until recently), although that's more on the Radiohead IDM-tinged indie end of things. Still, at the time he cited Confield as one of his favourite albums. To be fair, I think Antony Keidis is an IDM fan (I remember him speaking highly of Squarepusher), just doesn't let it out through his music.

17 minutes ago, purlieu said:

To be fair, I think Antony Keidis is an IDM fan (I remember him speaking highly of Squarepusher), just doesn't let it out through his music.

You might say that he doesn't give it away. portrait-young-smiling-man-on-260nw-1156

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/15/2022 at 7:48 AM, gnarlybog said:

Hot take: This is one of the strongest IDM records I have heard in years. It really grows on you. There are a lot of cool acts in the genre, but you rarely hear such strong melodies and compositions. Often IDM acts feel too derivative of the pioneers or just bland. This album hits a nice sweet spot.

Do you mean only in recent years in terms of release or in general? No disagreement, but interested in the discourse, mostly because I want to throw how much Brothomstates grew on me over the years. 

• Like 1