IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

5 minutes ago, hijexx said:

So you get all the tracks now if you buy on Bleep?

Seeing a lot of people talking about hearing the album, was that all PIR8 or can you get it legit right now?

Yeah, it's instant download for all pre-orders, including the digital "pre-order".

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Perhaps if the bright orange of the SIGN cover depicts the oozing cheese within, then the green album promises some hearty, nourishing vegetables.

Maybe some nice crunchy beets 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 2

5 hours ago, auxien said:

of course the analogy isn't one-to-one with AE+Max vs pianist+piano, but the original quote also is a touch of a reduction as well. but it gets the idea across and that's all that matters. ...so yeah, most of their stuff couldn't be transcribed simply to a piano, obviously. don't think that's the idea. the author of that interview/review writeup was making very clear, it's that all their music is based in electronica and specifically hip hop. so based on evocative textural recreations and creations and sampling of sounds. 

but the point i was trying to make, i guess i wasn't clear, was they're still separated from the sounds being created in a very similar way to the 'dumb piano' metaphor. unless they're fingerpicking a guitar or handdrumming on some tablas or dragging a bow across a cello string, they're also very separate from the sound. no matter how much work they've done in software/hardware to craft a sound or arrangement or sequence, they're very 'separate' from the sounds. this isn't bad, obv, just goes against their own point imo.

obviously what sean meant is he's hanging out with sound, they're relaxing together and just being in the moment together. 

with piano this is hard bc it's very uptight, just refuses to chill unless it's had some sustains on that particular evening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

Do you guys remember Sean mentioning importing the Max/msp system in M4L for remixing purpose ? If I understand correctly the new material is also produced in M4L/Ableton right ?

there was definitely discussion of them using M4L from Max to Live for audio mixing, iirc. i assume it was from the Twitch chat?

Edited by auxien

play this loud. new listens show the quieter details buttressing the chords/pads. very much like their middle era stuff, like others have said. i think some of the simplicity in the harmonies is deceptive for a first listen

• Like 7

16 hours ago, fizzkinz said:

I'd be interested to know how those who didn't care for oversteps feel about this one. 
I'm not saying Oversteps and Sign are cut from the same cloth, and I definitely see them very differently. 

Bullseye! I didn't care for Oversteps much and it really feels like Oversteps 2.0 with variables -- not by sound/composition but as a stylistic move, even this "jams to songs" transition.

MoT was certainly a more raw & welcomed collection to me, tho sorta mishmashed together very inconsistently (feels like the most ragged Ae release ever), and i hope for something similarly drastic to happen with the green one.

Edited by Amen Lare
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

Do you guys remember Sean mentioning importing the Max/msp system in M4L for remixing purpose ? If I understand correctly the new material is also produced in M4L/Ableton right ?

I remember, and i got a word from an unknown source that Ae agreed to remix Sophie. Probably other remixes are in queue.

Don't believe that they would use M4L for their own stuff, i mean what's the practical reason to switch from Max? I think it works worse in M4L and gives them nothing new tool-wise

• Thanks 1

^the way i understood (assumptions based on what was actually said, somebody dredge that up pls) it at the time (been months now and my memory is shit so grain of salt here) was that they were 99% in Max still of course, but piping the audio channel/s via M4L into Ableton and using Live as a 'mixing desk' essentially. which Live is very good at being, and possibly more user friendly than Max (have very little experience in Max tho so dunno)

• Thanks 1

Imagine the package art using some kind of gloss/matte dynamic as design feature like Chiastic Slide. Like there's more to it that we haven't seen from a tiny image on a computer screen. But I also fantasized about this for Exai art which was embossed, similar thing anyway.

Perhaps if the bright orange of the SIGN cover depicts the oozing cheese within, then the green album promises some hearty, nourishing vegetables.
Wise words from the
Departing
Eat your greens,
Especially broccoli
Remember to
Say "thank you"
For the things
You haven't had
  • Like 4
  • Burger 1

Can you all imagine if the next release is called 'OFF' would that mark the end of their max exploration? 'SIGN—OFF' 

OR maybe signing off the way they've been going about things in max - and so ready to introduce something new? 

I say this because Sean mentioned that they 'revamped' their system but how do we know that's what we're hearing on SIGN? and what we're going to hear on the next 'green' release?

Again I say this because - isn't that something they're known for - like with Exai... Which was worked on years before release... Right? 

I also thought of this because though I really enjoy listening to SIGN - it doesn't really sound like a 'revamped system' to me tbh... Because elseq, AE_LIVE and NTS sound quite similar to SIGN (in many ways)

... Maybe the 'revamp' is yet to come? Or might just be wishful thinking. What do you all think? 

Maybe they’re signing off for good? Or maybe it’s the first part of a prince covers trilogy “sign” “o” “the times” and we haven’t noticed these tunes are all prince song reworks. I can’t wait to hear U Got Tha Look

• Like 1