IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

16 hours ago, very honest said:

first image of a black hole

blackhole.png?itok=THJrwcHP

at the center of nearby galaxy m87, the black hole is 6 billion times the mass of the sun

this must be a sign

• Farnsworth 1

6 hours ago, eclipsis said:

this must be a sign

haha

the image predates ae's sign. i imagine the TDR/Warp/ae email thread went like:

tdr: so do you have any art direction for the cover?

ae: [the black hole image]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, auxien said:

this really is a strange album. even after many months spinning it pretty regularly, it feels pretty odd in a lot of ways. enjoyable tho.

it surprises me how close it is to Oversteps - it's much more accomplished, of course, but IMO it confirms one of my long-held theories that Ae albums go through cycles of four:

Incunabula, LP5, Quaristice, NTS 01-04: radically different sound design, commissioned/curated by other parties and not necessarily chosen by Ae, very experimental ideas with a long runtime, experimenting with new release media.

Amber, Confield, Oversteps, SIGN:

much more melodic, softer and smoother sound design with a rich palette of frequencies. more accessible and more "human", though some obligatory tracks will push these boundaries in abstract ways.

Tri Repetae, Draft 7.30, Exai:

many varied ideas and experiments, rigorously worked out and stripped down for the sake of presentation, resulting in tracks that can be long and monotonous, while individually very creative and unique.

Chiastic Slide, Untilted, elseq 1-5:

these albums benefit the most from the creative experiences of past projects. before re-inventing their sound again, Ae present us with collosal, long-winded tracks, with the approach of cramming in as many exotic ideas as possible and making them fit together. here a single track can do what three or four tracks would do on a conventional album, in terms of flow and ascending/resting. i'm also tempted to put Lego Feet in this category.

• Confused 1

Altho SIGN is very close to Oversteps I think SIGN is far better!

It has more depth, here you can clearly hear how they have evolved from that time. I'm so curious how their live-sets sound now!
I guess the guys just waiting so stoked to tour around Europe again. 

• Like 7

sign plus is evolving into the "getting it" phase. Now that my attention is no longer captured by prominent things, truly subtle details take on a decisive role, and consequently change the perception of what I was used to. By letting things flow without intending to focus, while doing other things, I find myself actually doing nothing and being much more focused than when I was purposefully focused. And, as usual, I wonder how I hadn't noticed the whole mass from the beginning. Yes, I wonder, but it is also true that, this time, they have been seriously careful to hide some things. Submerged suggestions.
And so, you have done it again.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Living rn for this autotranslation of a Japanese review of SIGN on amazon

A new version of the warp's lonely (duo) Ogosho Autechre.The album was released for the first time in two years.

The previous work is all five pieces (digital sales only), the previous work is all four pieces, the CD and eight sets of supermassive hen, and the Autechre world that unfolds sandwiched a number of live sound sources in between.
With the number of songs and the length of playing time, it was inevitable to listen to both good and bad, but this work fits on a single CD.
The 2013 release of “Exai” was also two and a half hours long.
Since the 2010 release of “Oversteps”, “Oversteps”, the album that will be heard within 74 minutes, has been the first time in ten years.

Well, I talked about it for a long time, but what about this work?
Of course, the paranoid sound of Autechre and the goodness of localization, but this time I felt that acoustics was particularly characteristic.
The sound field is more hazy than the reverb, and the round sound of the glittering contours of the extraneous pops wandering around like a light passing through the darkness.

The previous work, and the previous work, there are a number of energetic songs that are unthinkable from the length of the scale and sounds that feel the roughness of the cross section, in fact, more than half of the low frequencyIt was a dance track with a sense of attack.

However, this work has become a percentage of ambient drones, there are also things that make you feel the beat, but the low-frequency strength (volume sense) is also a little weakened adjustment introspection.Tracks that are not very suitable for dancing stand out.

If you write this, you might think that it's a tull album or an esoteric album, but this is not the case.
I was able to fully enjoy the sound, fine drums, and synths that resonate directly to the brain.

I can't explain what it was, but I thought about the theme and made an album to match it.
Actually, this is the first time I feel something like a theme at Autechre.

The color is the 11th song “R Cazt”, which is practically the last track.
Bass and sweet rumor, such as slightly grabbling in the ear invites the trip.
I think it's a good track at the end of this album.

I bought a domestic CD on Amazon for this work.is for the bonus track.
I have said many times, but I want to deliver bonus tracks such as OTOY.

It is the key bonus track, but as mentioned above, it has a slightly snake-foot feeling because it is a structure that feels the theme and flow.

While grabbing the ear with a prominent sound, gradually the drone enters, slowly fades out over time, and finally draws the heat in almost silenceWith an emotional deployment, I think the track itself is very good.
The impression of the album will change greatly if you swap this in the 11th track and listen through.This is nice with this.
Those who are anxious please the domestic board.

FLAC is sold in their official store for $12, if you're good with a raw album.It seems that you can buy 24 bits for 15 dollars.

When I was writing the length of my thoughts for Autechre, it became quite long.
I don't have a professional knowledge of music, I would write abstract words, but it is a very good album that feels warm, carnal, emotional, and unusual for them.Come on.

Does anyone know where I can find these eight sets of supermassive hen?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

still feel kinda lukewarm on these two, I blame NTS. Hoping time and possibly next release (soon?) will change that!

currently have esc desc Metaz form8 r cazt on loop for evening walks with doge, so good for these autumn days 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ooqpoo said:

still feel kinda lukewarm on these two, I blame NTS. Hoping time and possibly next release (soon?) will change that!

currently have esc desc Metaz form8 r cazt on loop for evening walks with doge, so good for these autumn days 

... it's enough that I read NTS, that a prehistoric compulsion drive me to put it up ... it's not an easy thing to manage. 8 hours, I mean

Is this Autechre’s saddest record? Is there another album of theirs that is so melancholy? I think this is what makes it so distinctive to me. It’s violent and huge and brooding and …. sad. 

• Like 4

Listening to this now for the first time since April.

M4 Lema is such an incredible opening track. The amount of both texture and detail is truly staggering. As is often the case with some of Autechre's most ornate works, it calls to mind a marble sculpture of the renaissance like Giuseppe Sanmartino's 1753 Cristo Velato (The Veiled Christ). It is also one of their longest first tracks at 8:49; feed1 is 11:37, t1a1 is 18:39, and of their releases before the days of selling FLAC/WAVs online, only Cipater is longer by a mere 8 seconds at 8:57.

• Like 7

Fall is back and so is SIGN! Gimme dat orange ???

Subjective Fall associations were strong with this one, lots of early listening done on very rainy days/nights or out in the colourful outdoors. Mostly left the album alone since then, needed to give it time, typical Ae digestion patterns. Ready to chew it some more.

Had quite a nice time listening to si00 the other night in a rainstorm sitting down by the ocean on a little dock/lookout type thing, tiny lights on the horizon flickering in the wind and rain. 

• Like 7

sch.mefd 2 feels like a continuation of certain aspects of both M4 Lema and F7 in some sense, though less astonishing than either. au14 feels like Sean and Rob giving the fans "what they think we want", e.g. some nice beatfuckery with some nice stuff in the background.
th red a feels like a slowly dying creature gasping its last breaths as it writhes in agony and it seems like it would have been a natural choice for an album closer, not that an album four seconds short of 52 minutes would feel long enough from Sean & Rob. psin AM makes an excellent counterpart to M62 from Move of Ten, another jammy jam laid over/under a four-on-the-floor beat, though a more sedate one. si00 is really something special the likes of which we haven't heard from the brothers since Quaristice at the most recent or maybe even since Confield.

n Cur is gorgeous, a worthy bonus track to be sure, though one that takes its sweet time fading out. r cazt is gorgeous but goes on a bit longer than it needs to and feels like an alternate take of krYlon or Yuop from Oversteps, which is no bad thing, but it does somewhat cover much of the same ground. Similarly F7, esc desc, Metaz form8, gr4, th red a, & r cazt, which together make up just over half (or 54.545454545454545454...%) of the album or 34 minutes, all feel like a revisiting of the sonic realms which Oversteps and Move of Ten first laid out for us 10 years prior. This is not a bad thing at all and is indeed a very welcome thing if we consider NTS Sessions, elseq 1-5, Exai, and L-event to all be deeper dives into Quaristice's terrain or at least those first two a continuation of the latter two. Second, they feel very much like what the beatless ambient album some were hoping for around the time that Oversteps was first teased.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1