IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

On 10/4/2021 at 12:30 PM, splesh said:

psin AM makes an excellent counterpart to M62 from Move of Ten, another jammy jam laid over/under a four-on-the-floor beat, though a more sedate one.

I like this comparison, love both of these tracks! I always enjoy when they do something really stripped down and embrace the subtlety. I was listening to MoT the other morning and was reminded how much I love nearly every second of it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sign turns 1 tomorrow. Listening on my drive to work on rainy and cold fall day. Despite how lush the album is, it’s a fall album through and through. Very fond memories of this time last year. 

I’ll be mainlining this all weekend.

Edited by Friendly Stranger
  • Like 11

looked at a couple reviews of SIGN again and this one kinda nailed this bit imo:

Only time will tell if ‘SIGN’ is as lauded as ‘Incunabula’, ‘Tri Repeate’ or ‘Confield’, but after these initial dalliances with it I have to admit that it is their most immediate and enjoyable album to date. The music has a distant, crushing vibe to it, that is totally captivating, but the music isn’t claustrophobic. It gives itself, and the listen, room to breathe and move. In the past their album tended to come at you, or to overwhelm before you had a chance to make your mind up about them. Here, Brown and Booth allow you to settle into the tracks before they start twisting the screw. And it works.

https://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/autechre-sign

(except for the bit about Incunabula being lauded lol i mean i maybe at the time it came out?)

edit: also weird grammatical errors made it to publishing and haven't been corrected obv. looks almost as bad as one of my posts.

Edited by auxien
  • Like 3

On 10/15/2021 at 2:11 PM, Friendly Stranger said:

Despite how lush the album is, it’s a fall album through and through.

Aye, I'll be heading out for some nice autumnal walks with SIGN as the soundtrack. si00 has been doing it for me this weekend.

God damn, I bloody love Ae. Despite all the new music I get, and all the great stuff I have in my collection, I always return to Ae.

SIGN is awesome. 

LargeValidHapuka-size_restricted.gif.81318d3ededb13db294d5102581c1842.gif

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

...Vangelis is certainly not the first thing that comes to mind hearing autechre, yet n cur has something, both in the melody and in the cold spatiality, that reminds me of this, from the Antarctica soundtrack

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

...Vangelis is certainly not the first thing that comes to mind hearing autechre, yet n cur has something, both in the melody and in the cold spatiality, that reminds me of this, from the Antarctica soundtrack

it’s because they bought one of these- 

https://black-corporation.com/product/deckards-dream-mk2/

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 9:11 AM, Draft78 said:

Vangelis did come to mind listening to Ae somewhat recently for me listening to wetgelis casual interval.

Sonically, it feels like a snippet of eastre (as far as S&R are concerned) but this piece you've shared by the Greek synth maestro (eat shit Yanni team Vangelis all the way lol) does sound like a number of things the lads have done recently in a number of facets, some of the patches (both some of the early twinkles and the pads), as well as something in its melodic sense. Good call, this is a truly beautiful piece. I'll have to check out the rest of this score.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:53 AM, xox said:

Yes! Just... although frequency is change in amplitude, what defines it is the speed of that change. If we deduce it completely it’s all about time; time/speed of amplitude (frequency domain) and time of events (time domain). That’s why we cant conceptualize music in other ways than as our internal experience, bc time is mind’s internal concept (space is external); we sense ourselves in/through time. That’s why music matters to us humans more than other forms of art.

ok im out

With that logic light is also just about the change in amplitude of the electromagnetic field at each photoreceptor in your eye, except you get more more spatial information from your eyes(6million cones each compared to 2 ears) and less resolution in terms of frequency(3 types of cones compared to 3.5k inner hair cells). And time is a part of loads of art that isnt music. I think music is so important to humans for other reasons that im not really sure about, similarity to language and the connection between language and emotion seems like an obvious one though.

The way our brains receive the auditory data is more like a 1 dimensional screen, similar to our vision being received as a 2d screen. We know this through stuff like fmri, but it doesnt explain the existence of binaural beats, really odd stuff.

Oh and sign is good

6 hours ago, vkxwz said:

With that logic light is also just about the change in amplitude of the electromagnetic field at each photoreceptor in your eye, except you get more more spatial information from your eyes(6million cones each compared to 2 ears) and less resolution in terms of frequency(3 types of cones compared to 3.5k inner hair cells). And time is a part of loads of art that isnt music. I think music is so important to humans for other reasons that im not really sure about, similarity to language and the connection between language and emotion seems like an obvious one though.

The way our brains receive the auditory data is more like a 1 dimensional screen, similar to our vision being received as a 2d screen. We know this through stuff like fmri, but it doesnt explain the existence of binaural beats, really odd stuff.

Oh and sign is good

i probably understand what you're saying and bc of my education and work i know a few things about the brain but sorry, i don't think you understood me here! physical properties of the sound and of our brain and hearing has nothing to do with what i was talking about! and btw comparing the sense of sight to hearing couldn't be more --- wrong? and what you're talking about is mostly comparable to the frequency domain of the sound/music. music works in ratios and relationships that change in time and abstractions of the highest order (highest just in comparison to other forms of art). i agree that other forms of art 'use' time, like dance performances or movies just bc they're 'happening in time' but that's it and btw that's not what i was talking about at all... and if we're talking about it, have you ever heard that dance performances and movies use music scores to provoke or to amplify feelings or even ''to give an emotional context to the scene''? the other way around just water downs a quality music (autechre bros understand this, hence the darkness at their concerts and it's one of the reasons ligeti rejected so many offers to make musical scores for movies) and that absence of music and silence in movies are being used for the same purpose (i.e. hitchcock, the birds)? why do you think that's the case? and when other forms of art are 'using' time, they just mimic the properties of music; that's why you can hear responses like ''oh, that movie feels like music'', same for a performance or even a book. but imageries that music provokes in us are totally our own! the reason why music deals with the will (as a philosophical term) and all other forms of art are dealing with ideas (as a philosophical term) is precisely bc of time, domain that we can only experience internally... as our own internal experience bc both the will and time are our genuine internal constructs, as ive said earlier, and 'space' (everything that's not us, including everything we see, including colors and ideas) are external constructs i.e. objectified ideas! you can't bend the objectified ideas but you can bend time, in music you can and MUST bend time at the level of narrative and abstraction not at the level of form which only consequently follows the bent content, you can and must so to say 'shorten the expression' (artistically speaking, in expression, in narrative, not merely making the track shorter for 20 sec, length changes became subjective experiences, again bc time = will?), elevate it abstractly IF you want to produce quality music (in other forms of art when this is done directly in the same way you end up with a nonsense, in other forms of art you must mimic some properties of music, not bend it like music), for an example, if you produce music yourself then you surely understand why plain arpeggiators are so weak, musically speaking...

Edited by xox

9 hours ago, xox said:

i probably understand what you're saying and bc of my education and work i know a few things about the brain but sorry, i don't think you understood me here! physical properties of the sound and of our brain and hearing has nothing to do with what i was talking about! and btw comparing the sense of sight to hearing couldn't be more --- wrong? and what you're talking about is mostly comparable to the frequency domain of the sound/music. music works in ratios and relationships that change in time and abstractions of the highest order (highest just in comparison to other forms of art). i agree that other forms of art 'use' time, like dance performances or movies just bc they're 'happening in time' but that's it and btw that's not what i was talking about at all... and if we're talking about it, have you ever heard that dance performances and movies use music scores to provoke or to amplify feelings or even ''to give an emotional context to the scene''? the other way around just water downs a quality music (autechre bros understand this, hence the darkness at their concerts and it's one of the reasons ligeti rejected so many offers to make musical scores for movies) and that absence of music and silence in movies are being used for the same purpose (i.e. hitchcock, the birds)? why do you think that's the case? and when other forms of art are 'using' time, they just mimic the properties of music; that's why you can hear responses like ''oh, that movie feels like music'', same for a performance or even a book. but imageries that music provokes in us are totally our own! the reason why music deals with the will (as a philosophical term) and all other forms of art are dealing with ideas (as a philosophical term) is precisely bc of time, domain that we can only experience internally... as our own internal experience bc both the will and time are our genuine internal constructs, as ive said earlier, and 'space' (everything that's not us, including everything we see, including colors and ideas) are external constructs i.e. objectified ideas! you can't bend the objectified ideas but you can bend time, in music you can and MUST bend time at the level of narrative and abstraction not at the level of form which only consequently follows the bent content, you can and must so to say 'shorten the expression' (artistically speaking, in expression, in narrative, not merely making the track shorter for 20 sec, length changes became subjective experiences, again bc time = will?), elevate it abstractly IF you want to produce quality music (in other forms of art when this is done directly in the same way you end up with a nonsense, in other forms of art you must mimic some properties of music, not bend it like music), for an example, if you produce music yourself then you surely understand why plain arpeggiators are so weak, musically speaking...

yeah. so, in the Ae subforum we're all for people posting walls of text about the details and/or emotions of Ae's music. but... a wall of text to criticize and take down another user's post?

is the a sub-sub forum for people who intensely scrutinize people who intensely scrutinize Ae? i'm used to a certain level of introspection and this just isn't doing it for me, being completely fixated on another person and all.