IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

this got buried 74 pages back so reposting. little interview about SIGN

https://sfj.substack.com/p/autechre-sign

Sign is hip-hop, if we see hip-hop as a deeply rooted system of growth and language and construction, so pervasive that it can be felt more easily than seen. It is not necessarily helpful to say that Sign is hip-hop, but it is also true and confusing.

:facepalm:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

These WAVs are lush as.  One nice thing about speakers as opposed to headphones is you can listen louder without as much concern about the effect on one's hearing

1 minute ago, NewSchoolScience said:

Sign is hip-hop, if we see hip-hop as a deeply rooted system of growth and language and construction, so pervasive that it can be felt more easily than seen. It is not necessarily helpful to say that Sign is hip-hop, but it is also true and confusing.

Yeah, felt the same way reading that

godammit F7 is just too good..... i want to plug it into my soul for all eternity. it's the perfect version of the "screamy synth" type of track that i love to death, like known(1) and YJY UX. when i hear i literally hear voices screaming the same as what's inside my soul

• Like 1

I honestly don't understand the love for SIGN. I mean... I love it... I think this might be one of the best albums by Ae I've heard in decades... but what is it about everything else since LP5 that I'm missing?

Just now, Jamesqdot said:

I honestly don't understand the love for SIGN. I mean... I love it... I think this might be one of the best albums by Ae I've heard in decades... but what is it about everything else since LP5 that I'm missing?

Okay, maybe not LP5, but Oversteps... let's overlook the trilogy that escaped me of Confield, Draft 7.30 and Untilted.

1 minute ago, Jamesqdot said:

Everything else?

2 minutes ago, EXTRASUPER81 said:

Everything else?

I'm not exactly sure about why the bros title their songs but the music is an art and if you have the time and money to invest in it. Have a listen it's all worth while, if you have the patience. It's complex no doubt!

6 minutes ago, eclipsis said:

if this is better than Exai i'm gonna shit myself

it is so different that it is impossible to make a comparison. Perhaps there is a point of contact with jatevee C and YJY UX, but the context has profoundly changed

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

it is so different that it is impossible to make a comparison. Perhaps there is a point of contact with jatevee C and YJY UX, but the context has profoundly changed

Maybe that's the reason.

More  than any other other album this feels like a distillation of everything they've done previously. With all of the contemporary production.

Edited by Jamesqdot
  • Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, Nenlow66 said:

Anyone else hearing what seems to be deliberate “remixing” or mutations of previous tracks (kinda like sinister sintrail)? Track 3=bqbq and eastre, Track 2=known1, etc??

Going to listen for this - hadn't noticed yet.

11 minutes ago, President Squidward said:

on discord i have some friends who are disapp

those people are not your friends

Edited by IOS
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, NewSchoolScience said:

Did this reviewer just discover hip-hop, like, yesterday?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Farnsworth 1

As always, the latest album has another leap forward in the clarity/fidelity/definition of the sounds... rather stunning how well they manage to keep that up

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jamesqdot said:

Okay, maybe not LP5, but Oversteps... let's overlook the trilogy that escaped me of Confield, Draft 7.30 and Untilted.

I absolutely don't see those as being a trilogy. Confield was kind of ending, Untilted was a kind of beginning, and Draft was something of a one off; there were definitely Confield-ish moments, but I don't hear anything Untilted-ish.