IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

I think under normal circumstances I might be a tad underwhelmed by this release, but the way life has been going lately, I really needed an album like this. I love the tonal space it sits in as opposed to something like Oversteps. It's got a hint of creepiness and a dash of melancholy, but it's overwhelmingly warm and optimistic. This album is like a hot bath.

• Like 7

My first listen in its entirety will be tonight so looking forward to it. Based on everyone’s comments it’s going to be lush and I’ll appreciate it much more than nts and elseq but as a more ambient album it won’t get as much play time from me as say, exai or confield. I’m assuming a lot of course just based on everyone’s characterization of it thus far.

ambient mainly melody driven tracks just aren’t my usual bag. But we shall see in a few hours!!

Just now, toaoaoad said:

Thank you fine folks for reminding me that it's time to get up from the computer and get on with my life ? 

Ooze is just jahokin around. ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ivan Ooze said:

it's only a day old toaoaod, just think about that for a second before claiming autechre album dissapointing on a fliggin idm forum

Agreed, though history has proven this sort of comment par for the course.  In fact, I'd argue almost everything posted in the last 24hrs might easily be confused as cut and paste from any past ae release.  Which is precisely why I've held off making any sort of grand, sweeping generalizations; my ears simply haven't listened to anywhere near the necessary numbers of cycles to speak intelligently about this new release.  No fun that, I know, but I'll bet my lunch money  A) most everyone making some grand proclamations for or against SIGN, will eat their words at a later date B) that SIGN is a strong album in it's own right even if I can't yet peg where it falls in overall pecking order.

Edited by tailings
  • Facepalm 1

Enjoyed my first listen. Track 3 and 4 got me into a cosily ominous trance. Track 6 felt like I was looking at a sprawling city at night from a skyscraper terrace. Closing track is lush on lush. It's nice to have a little mellow gem like this following NTS. In a way feels like their Tomorrow's Harvest. 

• Like 2

I will agree this is a very sad album, which is very fitting considering the state of global affairs ATM.  I typically go to music for its energizing properties and almost instinctually avoid melancholy music, so it will be interesting how SIGN comes off when the world around isn't in such a shit state.

I just finished listening to r cazt and LCC queued up right afterward.  Never has LCC sounded so much like a pop song.  LOL.

the only tracks that don't click with me are au14 and th red a Oo

r cazt is the most soundtracky - traditional thing they've ever done i think. 

psin gives me 90s gescom vibes

and i just have to love esc desc, especially the beginning and ending. although its the first track i remember from them that seems like it can get 'worn out' like hearing a pop tune over and over again. so nice tho

si00 just has an interesting atmosphere and feeels nice

sch mefd has a great atmosphere and sounds so ilike that

metaz form8 is melancholic i would say, and really nice

m4 lema = no comment

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dingformung said:

It's not a "sad album".

And it has nothing to do with "the state of global affairs ATM".

The latter point is certainly conjecture on my part.  The former is how the album strikes me; bully if you feel different.  I'll concede your view point; I can't count how many times I've been annoyed at people who describe music as 'dark' that I find to be uplifting, etc.

YMMV and all that cliched crap.

• Facepalm 1

ive listened to it on computer speakers, decent headphones and my sound bar so far. Next is car when i go to my friends house tonight. which i guess will be half of it the way there and half back

• Like 1

Although i have to say in addition to the above, this album isn't like a warp speed advance of music or anything crazy innovative ofc, but i am very soft nowadays and haven't even listened to music for a couple years much and so I don't have the forward momentum as much.

But I do remember the years after confield, waiting for draft, then came untilted, then quaristice, and then eclipsing with oversteps, as each record sounded completely different and new and I was totally into it. it was a crazy period tbh.

Then came exai and i sort of felt like it didn't have the same momentum, i started to hear the same sounds somehow, and sort of similar with elseq and nts, but in retrospect exai, elseq and nts all have their own sound production wise i think, and this one does as well. even though we hear similar sounds on a lot of the records, if you play a few seconds of each track on each album, they all sound different still.

so in general im with others i cant compare or place SIGN yet, but i mean i really like all the tracks ive listed so far, and the idea of a 90s-ish ambient synth epic thing is great

• Like 3

This certainly scratches that moody itch that we had glimpses of in the 16/18 sets. It's also mostly ambient, something that still points to my theory that this and the coming "green" are possibly solo impersonate each other LPs.

The only complaint is that I wish some tracks were longer and/or had more defined codas. Maybe this will change with more listens, but man, they really spoiled us with Elseq and NTS, no?