Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

alco review by alco:   this is the new "autechre" album by them, the brothers. it's called "sign" which is short for "signs." i believe this is an m night shaymalan (or whatever) reference a

the autechre brothers. "the signs" in 2020. october. i forget the date. i'm meeting up with them, the "boys" of autechre. sean, the one who thinks its sick to make beats super wacky is smoking a cigar

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

You drive while tripping?

I cannot think of anything more terrifying!

I was tripping out on the harmony between the colors of fall around me and the Sign album art.  My time with hallucinogens are decades in the past, but the experiences still resonate at moments like these.

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Autechre Release New Album; Fans Polarized

After so many years in the business, I thought AE would have learnt how it's really done by now.

You see, it's about how to get the vibe going......

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Wait ... wtf is this accessible garbage?

That's not the ae I know, love and can feel elitist about!

Spoiler

sounds pretty good, though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 2
2 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

?????? ????

have you heard sign yet boss? did you like it????? ????

Edited by Ivan Ooze
14 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Wow. Apart from the first track, this was incredibly disappointing.

I was intentionally careful not to say anything more than "disappointing". Forum posts are public and (more or less) permanent. First impressions of an Ae album are famously subject to change and deep development, and I wouldn't want to be that guy whining about the new Ae within the first 24h like a spoiled child who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas. This is why I don't read reviews either, especially not before I've heard something myself: Most critics are doing it as part of their job, getting all types of shit thrown their way and having to listen to new stuff all the time, and they can't possibly put in the amount of time required to interpret slow-burn type music such that Sven and Bjorn make. I'll have to live with this album for a bit before I can really give an intelligent critique of it. 

Some folks had suggested they would be disappointed if SIGN was a continuation of the Exai/AE_Live/Elseq/NTS sound, as I gather we've all had our fill of that. I don't know what I "expected" instead of that, but it just wasn't this. Maybe all that's missing are the beats. Cause I'll say this much, pre- deeper listening:  I just don't think this type of symphonic synth stuff is what they do best. The production and sound design are lush af; no one can deny that. But I can't help but lol when Stan says in the interview "the piano is dumb" and then writes... well, listen to the opening chord of r cazt. Then go to a keyboard and mash your hand down on some white keys.

I say this with no disrespect to Steak & Rib whatsoever because obviously what they do is distinguished from traditional music. They have always and will always do whatever they want, and are always a few steps ahead of everyone else, music theory notwithstanding, and eventually I will love or at least appreciate this. A "disappointing" Autechre album is still more likely to become a mainstay in my discography than most other things. 

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
3 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Then go to a keyboard and mash your hand down on some white keys.

And if you hold it down for an hour, you'll have All End  💁‍♀️

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

it's only a day old toaoaod, just think about that for a second before claiming autechre album dissapointing on a fliggin idm forum

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1
2 minutes ago, Ivan Ooze said:

it's only a day old toaoaod, just think about that for a second before claiming autechre album dissapointing on a fliggin idm forum

Perhaps you didn't read my post, it's just up there ^ 

Sorry if someone already mentioned this - and I'm making a comparison which I previously said was unnecessary - but M4 Lema and Cipater sound sort of similar at the start

• Facepalm 1
Just now, beerwolf said:

trolling 

dont take the bait 

What’s gotten into *you* then?

9 minutes ago, Ivan Ooze said:

Lolol

I think under normal circumstances I might be a tad underwhelmed by this release, but the way life has been going lately, I really needed an album like this. I love the tonal space it sits in as opposed to something like Oversteps. It's got a hint of creepiness and a dash of melancholy, but it's overwhelmingly warm and optimistic. This album is like a hot bath.

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Ivan Ooze said:

toaoaoad acting kinda sus

Thank you fine folks for reminding me that it's time to get up from the computer and get on with my life 🙂 

• Haha 1

My first listen in its entirety will be tonight so looking forward to it. Based on everyone’s comments it’s going to be lush and I’ll appreciate it much more than nts and elseq but as a more ambient album it won’t get as much play time from me as say, exai or confield. I’m assuming a lot of course just based on everyone’s characterization of it thus far.

ambient mainly melody driven tracks just aren’t my usual bag. But we shall see in a few hours!!

Just now, toaoaoad said:

Thank you fine folks for reminding me that it's time to get up from the computer and get on with my life 🙂 

Ooze is just jahokin around. 🙂

• Like 1