Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

alco review by alco:   this is the new "autechre" album by them, the brothers. it's called "sign" which is short for "signs." i believe this is an m night shaymalan (or whatever) reference a

the autechre brothers. "the signs" in 2020. october. i forget the date. i'm meeting up with them, the "boys" of autechre. sean, the one who thinks its sick to make beats super wacky is smoking a cigar

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, FEF said:

“The piano is beautiful but it’s dumb,” Booth told me. “It separates the artist from the string.” 

The clear implication here is that the harpsichord is ugly but intelligent, and you can get right in at them strings 

SIGN

Seriously Irrecognizable Guitar Noodling

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, FEF said:

“The piano is beautiful but it’s dumb,” Booth told me. “It separates the artist from the string.” 

The clear implication here is that the harpsichord is ugly but intelligent, and you can get right in at them strings 

harpsichords are great. i liked that quote a bit, but it seemed off. programming/creating in Max is just as 'dumb' to me if not far more so. all they're doing in Max is just remaking the machinery between the pianist's fingers and the strings. and it's lovely of course, but it's still removed in a way. 

Spoiler

personally love hearing Tori getting right in at them strings 

23 minutes ago, FEF said:

new rig

84980-guit.jpg

i've been thinking about looking into a MIDI guitar. supposedly the tech is getting pretty good.

• Like 1

These are all good and valid takes on the album. One thing I really love about Autechre is that their discography is so deep and varied. There is an amazing variety of rankings. I mean it happens with all bands but it’s just pretty cool to me how everyone has a totally different itch to scratch. 

Th red a is peak fucking Autechre to me. This whole album pretty much shook me yesterday but I can’t get this track out of my head.

Edited by Friendly Stranger
  • Like 1

First listen through now. Couldn’t catch the stream yesterday due to work. 
this is definitely lush as all fuck

it will take time to decide my take on it. Definitely going to listen several more times.

Sean's piano lessons:

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso1_500.gifv

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso2_500.gifv

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso4_500.gifv

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso3_500.gifv

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso5_500.gifv

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, auxien said:

harpsichords are great. i liked that quote a bit, but it seemed off. programming/creating in Max is just as 'dumb' to me if not far more so. all they're doing in Max is just remaking the machinery between the pianist's fingers and the strings. and it's lovely of course, but it's still removed in a way. 

I disagree because the pianist either plays a score or otherwise decides what to play (e.g. improvisation) as distinct from generative elements. I only have a sketchy understanding of how Max works but as I understand it you can use it to trigger musical events within defined parameters and then refine the parameters to produce more desirable results. I would assume Sean & Rob construct parts with instructions like "play notes in this scale within these rhythmic limitations" or "play combinations of these six notes" and apply conditions and exceptions. Or maybe they invent a melody or chord sequence and have randomized (but controllable) things happening to it or against it.  

Edit: and I know they've mentioned using "if A then B" type commands

My overall point being that it's a different method of composition / performance than sitting down at the old joanna, "Seinfeld voice" not that there's anything wrong with that. One of the most revealing comments they've made about their process, I think, is comparing it to jazz, though it's (as I understand it) generative factors (controlled, to varying extents, beforehand or in real time, by them) that are producing the variations, rather than the decisions (also dependent on parameters) that go into a jazz solo. 

Also think of Cage and others expanding the parameters of the piano with prepared piano techniques, e.g. using objects to damp the strings or change the timbre - there's a direct lineage from that to the way our bois mess with the envelope

Edited by FEF
  • Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1
36 minutes ago, Roo said:

Sean's piano lessons:

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso1_500.gifv

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso2_500.gifv

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso4_500.gifv

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso3_500.gifv

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso5_500.gifv

Sean: The piano is beautiful but dumb. 

Rob: I’ll do the fingering. 

• Burger 1

On second listen now. 
This really is very good. Too early to say where I place it in their overall work. 

While the '16/'18 live stuff did certainly suggest a move away from insane beat-fuckery, there were still quite a few massive hard as hell beat-gauntlet tracks on NTS, so this still did come as a surprise turn to me. 

I'd be interested to know how those who didn't care for oversteps feel about this one. 
I'm not saying Oversteps and Sign are cut from the same cloth, and I definitely see them very differently. 
But still, I'd like to know what someone like Sweepstakes thinks of this one. (forgive me if this has already been shared) 

1 hour ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

T-9 mins until blastoff folks. 

Wish me well. Will this be a voyager or challenger space mission? Only time will tell 

howditgo

4 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

howditgo

Welp I’m just about touching down now. Quite nice, lol.

I don’t want to be reactionary but it’s certainly “up there” with my fav albums

Praying for an extensive interview. Also, if it's a two parts affair, I'm REALLY curious to hear what the second one sounds like...

THX Sean and Rob 

:catsupine:

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Like 4

An interesting comparison is that this month is the 20th anniversary of Kid A, which itself had a sister sessions album follow 8 months later. Those were both a new era departure for RH, and in the context of ae it was a key shout-out which nurtured a new audience. Kid A & SIGN both with the 4 letters.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, Roo said:

An interesting comparison is that this month is the 20th anniversary of Kid A, which itself had a sister sessions album follow 8 months later. Those were both a new era departure for RH, and in the context of ae it was a key shout-out which nurtured a new audience. Kid A & SIGN both with the 4 letters.

Drunk reply... So, sorry - but OK computer is the best RD. 

• Thanks 1