IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

6 hours ago, Polymershapes said:

Eeeesh i think i like this better than the album version. How'd he do that?

He's a mega clever bastard. Wouldn't say I like it more, but it's really good. Brings a whole fast dembow funfair feel to proceedings.

7 minutes ago, misuta Go said:

Easy. The original is lazy boring. Hard for fanboys to realize...

there's so much there to hold your attention, how can you get bored by the vast variety?

Edited by cyanobacteria

11 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

that says more about you than the track.  there's so much there to hold your attention, how can you get bored by the vast variety?

You understand that it's all subjective, right? I will always adore the ae when they are the future (lp5, ep7, confield, exai, elseq etc).

When they get in that oversteps mood, there is not much to hold my attention, personally. I'm nobody, so no harm done. I'm sure in the future they will come around to their other style that i love once again...

Edited by misuta Go
  • Like 1

it seems unlike any ae release I've ever listened to unless I just haven't listened to NTS LIVE and elseq enough.  It seems to have much more complex relationships between the various elements and more of a factor of having to dig into random crevices of the tracks to find the best parts

1 hour ago, misuta Go said:

You understand that it's all subjective, right? I will always adore the ae when they are the future (lp5, ep7, confield, exai, elseq etc).

When they get in that oversteps mood, there is not much to hold my attention, personally. I'm nobody, so no harm done. I'm sure in the future they will come around to their other style that i love once again...

personally im not seeing the oversteps connections that clearly, this album is the most futuristic thing I've ever heard

• Like 1

it feels so organic, like it has to be that way specifically, like theyre using physics simulations of natural processes which then sound natural.  this is in terms of the amplitude and attack of the synths and the melodic structure as well.  its really easy to project ideas onto this type of music and im probably completely wrong

really autistic way to write "it sounds amazing"

Edited by cyanobacteria
  • Like 3

I haven't been able to rid myself of family members to listen to this in total seclusion. This tuesday tho...

I have had the track titles to have fun with. I spotted some potential animal references here and there. M4 'lemur' and r 'catz' obviously, and with some imagination the word si00 looks like a tarsier (s being the tail and 00 two big eyes). Maybe there's more? Yes or BS?

Far back in the mix is really the album’s trademark. That is where SIGN’s sense of progression lies, the support details, whilst the forefront themes get modulated infinitesimally. Has a jammy precision feel to it that does reward many listens, lovely textural depth to get lost in. The 3 beatier tracks are much the same, just a bit more varied in affect. The second half of each track is packed with goodness.

the one in-album criticism I might have is gr4 being much shorter than the rest and seeming to be gone before you know it. An emosh reprisal yearning for another minute to acquaint itself (“Time is a funny thing. Time is a very peculiar item”). Doesn’t hurt the album, just undercuts the track’s selfhood slightly

Edited by Roo
  • Like 6

First listen : Easy and disappointing. Dark/sad album. Those annoying (lazy ?) chords… 

Second listen : such a subtle and well balanced album ! Both micro details and macro coherence blown me.

F7, si00, au14, Metaz form8 and sch.mefd 2 are splendid tracks.

The overall album is beautiful from start to finish. And so much to hear again.

Metaz form8 !!!!! (makes me log in)

• Like 2

This is where I seem to be now (I will cringe at this a few weeks from now no doubt):

M4 Lema still mind-blowing and still kind of overshadows in terms of sound design, overall freshness, and sense of development (imho of course.) 

Metaz form8 is sort of beautiful. Like a much friendlier eastre off of Elseq 3. I could have done with it being twice as long! 

esc descth red and probably psin AM are three I still don’t get. Maybe those chords are just chords I happen to find real dull and plodding, and the synth sounds they’re on also seem pretty dry and singular and samey, but not dry in that interesting, “woody”/brittle Draft 7.30 organic way but dry in a bright super-obvious-it’s-a-synth way. But if you like those chords and find them real emotional and love SEGA Megadrive or chip tune or whatever stuff than that’s cool! F7 a similar situation, but I like it more. Some of my favourite music is NES or Gameboy music.

The rest I still don’t know about. The rest sounds like it could have been jam sessions but have been cut to a quarter of the length. They seem like they could really grow on me. Some amazingly thick bass going on.

I predict all the reviews will hail it as a “return to form” because of the brazen chord sequences and shorter length, and will have have broadly the reversed opinion of the tracks to mine above. LOL.