Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

Do you guys remember Sean mentioning importing the Max/msp system in M4L for remixing purpose ? If I understand correctly the new material is also produced in M4L/Ableton right ?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

alco review by alco:   this is the new "autechre" album by them, the brothers. it's called "sign" which is short for "signs." i believe this is an m night shaymalan (or whatever) reference a

the autechre brothers. "the signs" in 2020. october. i forget the date. i'm meeting up with them, the "boys" of autechre. sean, the one who thinks its sick to make beats super wacky is smoking a cigar

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

Do you guys remember Sean mentioning importing the Max/msp system in M4L for remixing purpose ? If I understand correctly the new material is also produced in M4L/Ableton right ?

there was definitely discussion of them using M4L from Max to Live for audio mixing, iirc. i assume it was from the Twitch chat?

Edited by auxien

play this loud. new listens show the quieter details buttressing the chords/pads. very much like their middle era stuff, like others have said. i think some of the simplicity in the harmonies is deceptive for a first listen

• Like 7
16 hours ago, fizzkinz said:

I'd be interested to know how those who didn't care for oversteps feel about this one. 
I'm not saying Oversteps and Sign are cut from the same cloth, and I definitely see them very differently. 

Bullseye! I didn't care for Oversteps much and it really feels like Oversteps 2.0 with variables -- not by sound/composition but as a stylistic move, even this "jams to songs" transition.

MoT was certainly a more raw & welcomed collection to me, tho sorta mishmashed together very inconsistently (feels like the most ragged Ae release ever), and i hope for something similarly drastic to happen with the green one.

Edited by Amen Lare
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

I remember, and i got a word from an unknown source that Ae agreed to remix Sophie. Probably other remixes are in queue.

Don't believe that they would use M4L for their own stuff, i mean what's the practical reason to switch from Max? I think it works worse in M4L and gives them nothing new tool-wise

• Thanks 1

^the way i understood (assumptions based on what was actually said, somebody dredge that up pls) it at the time (been months now and my memory is shit so grain of salt here) was that they were 99% in Max still of course, but piping the audio channel/s via M4L into Ableton and using Live as a 'mixing desk' essentially. which Live is very good at being, and possibly more user friendly than Max (have very little experience in Max tho so dunno)

• Thanks 1

Yes he was talking about using it as a mixing desk now I remember ! Nerdy tech talk ITW Sean, Rob pls...

Imagine the package art using some kind of gloss/matte dynamic as design feature like Chiastic Slide. Like there's more to it that we haven't seen from a tiny image on a computer screen. But I also fantasized about this for Exai art which was embossed, similar thing anyway.

Perhaps if the bright orange of the SIGN cover depicts the oozing cheese within, then the green album promises some hearty, nourishing vegetables.
Wise words from the
Departing
Eat your greens,
Especially broccoli
Remember to
Say "thank you"
For the things
You haven't had
  • Like 4
  • Burger 1

Can you all imagine if the next release is called 'OFF' would that mark the end of their max exploration? 'SIGN—OFF' 

OR maybe signing off the way they've been going about things in max - and so ready to introduce something new? 

I say this because Sean mentioned that they 'revamped' their system but how do we know that's what we're hearing on SIGN? and what we're going to hear on the next 'green' release?

Again I say this because - isn't that something they're known for - like with Exai... Which was worked on years before release... Right? 

I also thought of this because though I really enjoy listening to SIGN - it doesn't really sound like a 'revamped system' to me tbh... Because elseq, AE_LIVE and NTS sound quite similar to SIGN (in many ways)

... Maybe the 'revamp' is yet to come? Or might just be wishful thinking. What do you all think? 

Maybe they’re signing off for good? Or maybe it’s the first part of a prince covers trilogy “sign” “o” “the times” and we haven’t noticed these tunes are all prince song reworks. I can’t wait to hear U Got Tha Look

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Man Bleep charging $15 for 24 bit wav and $15 for CD with 24 bit wav download card. No breaks.

be grateful for the opportunity to give money to the techre bros

• Like 1