IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

i like Quarstice. it's full of some real gems too. the Quaristice Versions release especially. I also hear some Quaristice vibes in SIGN... more than Oversteps vibes. 

• Like 2

It's funny having been on this forum for almost 20 years at this point and every time a new album comes out it's the exact same deal as far as immediate reactions go. Of course people just straight up might not like this, but this feels like the Oversteps release all over again, and Quaristice before that. Predicting some changes of heart in the next 2-4 weeks.

I for one love the return to a more melody driven style but everybody's got their own thing!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, fumi said:

I'm just not that much of a hardcore AE fan that I just want to keep listening to it over and over (and over) again until I've convinced myself it's an amazing piece of work (which it isn't) IMO.

the well-known technique of listening to an album over and over (and over) until it rules

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

I think a lot of the Quaristice hate arose out of the fact that it was a 3 year wait between albums (I think their longest gap ever?) So there was a lot of time for fans to build expectations, and Untilted was a tough act to follow. That initial reception seems to have kinda lingered with a lot of longtime fans. Content-wise I think it has stood the test of time and contains a lot of solid material, and definitely marked a new era where they started to reveal a lot more about their process. 

that's such a consumerist perspective

Oversteps sounded fresh and exciting (big, different) when it came out... it was springtime, it felt fresh. d sho qub. SIGN, not so much. it feels a lil stale, rote. i'll take formulaic AFX over this, thirty-five times out of thirty-six. maybe [SIGN]'ll sound better on the stereo?

I haven't figured out my own opinion on this yet, hello, some parts are really beautiful, I bet it would be a good introduction for somebody curious to get into their not-early material but finding the heavier mixes of exai and elseq a bit too inaccessible. This one's more focused on a particular section of the sound and I think it's really cool to hear that, but maybe it lacks some range

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Spamlet said:

I haven't figured out my own opinion on this yet, hello, some parts are really beautiful, I bet it would be a good introduction for somebody curious to get into their not-early material but finding the heavier mixes of exai and elseq a bit too inaccessible. This one's more focused on a particular section of the sound and I think it's really cool to hear that, but maybe it lacks some range

I was going to describe this as an “accessible” autechre album earlier but figured I’d get raked over the coals. Find some of the chords pretty simple and straightforward which is not what I’m used to from them.

Im not complaining as this is one of the more enjoyable releases of theirs (for me) in years despite the general lack of beats etc. I guess I’m kinda conflicted lol ?

It's kinda the exact album I was wanting them to make, the gorgeous synth textures with the drums peeled back a bit! If that idea turns out to have limitations then it's my fault, sorry guys. But I think Metaz form8 and M4 Lema are gonna be some of my favs from them forever, and that different ppl seem to gravitate toward different tracks (as usual) is a good sign i'd say

• Like 2

SIGN is an ae album that really requires you to relearn and come at it from a different angle to that you might be accustomed, it isn't really a matter of accessibility or simplicity or range. It impresses their rich command of sound design more than ever before really, "the piano is dumb" comment feels very relevant here. It almost feels like an interplay between the themes and embellishments, like one remixing the others demos. Grandma managing to smile a "that's nice, dear" to SIGN is missing the point of what makes SIGN a little special.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 3