IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

12 minutes ago, diatoms said:

761922ac-4aa2-4d77-aa9c-04f2864c2111.thumb.JPG.7537603d614a6011bd67d726462615ca.JPG

I taught I saw a mad one traipsing around the cows in the early am:)

rip diatoms ego

• Like 1

“...a rare melodic depth to their expansive sound. 

I don’t get why people keep saying this. Am I the only one who generally finds Autechre ARE melodic? Maybe I just don’t get what a melody is. Hah. But I certainly don’t think it has to be some “dooo do dooo do do dooo” top line LOL. Elseq is full of melodic-like movement in the upper registers. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lianne said:

“...a rare melodic depth to their expansive sound. 

I don’t get why people keep saying this. Am I the only one who generally finds Autechre ARE melodic? Maybe I just don’t get what a melody is. Hah. But I certainly don’t think it has to be some “dooo do dooo do do dooo” top line LOL. Elseq is full of melodic-like movement in the upper registers. 

Yeah, everything is melodic in Autechre p much, including percussive elements. I think they mean melodic as in a melody you can pin down?

• Like 1

You really need another album already? SIGN isn't even out yet (officially). You will be so disappointed if there's no album number 2, you do it to yourself :cisfor:.

If there is a second album like Saemus hinted (though what he said could mean anything) it doesn't make much sense releasing it shortly after the "first" one. Spring 2021 would make more sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phudoshin said:

Im all set for a good ol listen later..... ?

761922ac-4aa2-4d77-aa9c-04f2864c2111.thumb.JPG.7537603d614a6011bd67d726462615ca.JPG

these are at least 5 hours of travel: are you not convinced to wait for the green one, in order to have at least the vehicle guaranteed for two hours?

2 minutes ago, eclipsis said:

You really need another album already? SIGN isn't even out yet (officially). You will be so disappointed if there's no album number 2, you do it to yourself :cisfor:.

If there is a second album like Saemus hinted (though what he said could mean anything) it doesn't make much sense releasing it shortly after the "first" one. Spring 2021 would make more sense.

...SPRING??!! WE NEVER KNOW IF THERE WILL STILL BE CIVILIZATION FOR THEN!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, kieselguhr kid said:

AE_store has previews up now. still gonna wait for my vinyls to arrive before second listen

Same here.  Looking forward to blasting it out Friday night if it has arrived by then!

43 minutes ago, eclipsis said:

You really need another album already? SIGN isn't even out yet (officially).

This should win most WATMM 2020. The “pre-“ in the “pls” (pwease) grows more pronounced and emboldened with each indulgence.

Still, I’m keen for my green eggs & ham, Saemus-I-Am. Anytime after Easter would be excessive.

Edited by Roo

46 minutes ago, Ivan Ooze said:
59 minutes ago, diatoms said:

I taught I saw a mad one traipsing around the cows in the early am:)

Expand   Expand  Expand  

rip diatoms ego

livin' that ego death life

2 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

srsy tho sign will keep me occupied for a good while fo sho, but in case of ae to me it's always the more the merrier, probably spoiled by elseq/NTS excesses.

Yeah, I get you. I just feel like people are focusing too much of their attention on something that's not really confirmed (doesn't currently exist) instead of a fresh new album they have at their disposal. I.e. not living in the present but always looking for something new and shiny ahead. That 'never enough' mentality.

• Thanks 1

I'm definitely guilty of that, just in general. I'm sinking my teeth deep into this new record though. Apart from a couple of new releases from Detroit Underground, I'm giving it pretty much exclusive attention. Still having trouble with si00, but everything else is clicking nicely now. psin AM and Metaz are the favorites atm.

30 minutes ago, eclipsis said:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

In Sign I find wonderful, evocative music. And this music is perfectly aware of being wonderful and avocative: it never takes the risk of not liking me, it doesn't dare, it keeps itself in safe territory. And the way I like it is very immediate, after all it targets quite defined emotions, it is never really ambiguous, and this scares me a little: defined, explicit emotions are more difficult to reiterate: that's why music that I liked a lot remains in some way linked to the time in which it was published and infrequently I go looking for it again, while with Autechre the opposite happens, precisely because they focus on an intertwining of moods just suggested and often in contradiction . But not this time, at least apparently. So I have the feeling that something still has to happen, and that everything is not resolved in the placid and solemn stability of sign. After all, so much has been said about the second album, that even from a psychological point of view I feel incomplete (without confict feeling behind the surface).

If, then, nothing happens, we have in any case an album of great beauty, even if in more general terms and less susceptible to revelations.

interestingly (yeah right) i find it to be a very unstable record and it makes me feel unstable.

lotsa tracks are ambiguous as fuck imo: lema is angels singing while bombed out landmasses vainly try to form a megabot, f7 has frequent dives into discorance, si00 oscillates between innocence and total claustrophobic dread, au14 is pumpy / uplifting and futuristic as hell while also feeling weirdly baroque and empty, schmefd is basically ALL over the place tonally and r cazt is beyond bitter / sweet.

to me it's a very challenging listen, that's why i'm already taking a break. i can take feed1s all day, but this kinda emotional engagement really poops me out.

(ps: oversteps 2 my ass)

Edited by jaderpansen
  • Like 7