IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

1 hour ago, Candiru said:

I’m happy they didn’t make another 8 hour art installation. I barely listened to elseq or NTS sessions because it was more like Ae wallpaper than an album I can pay attention to. I can’t absorb that at all. 

elseq was better about it cuz at least most of the tracks weren't twice as long as they needed to be so it was easy to pick out a great double CD from it

it was illuminating to learn that nts is a compilation of weird jams that had accumulated or something like that [anyone got the quote?]. made a lot more sense like that. a weird wasteland of strange shit. like lovecraft's dream-quest of unknown kadath (one of the coolest fictional works i've read)

Edited by very honest
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

Sequel IGreatly Needed

Sean, Rob pls

:catnope:

Daaammmmmn..... You just got an album and you're already starting again with the pls.  You're going to send the duo into therapy.

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1

15 minutes ago, tailings said:

Daaammmmmn..... You just got an album and you're already starting again with the pls.  You're going to send the duo into therapy.

Sean said they prepped 2 albums for release. i suspect this will go like Oversteps then Moves of Ten releases. i want the sequel as well ?

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

17 minutes ago, ignatius said:

Sean said they prepped 2 albums for release. i suspect this will go like Oversteps then Moves of Ten releases. i want the sequel as well ?

I'm aware......  

Even so, might they not have a moment to bask in the glory of completing SIGN.  Just because Sean hinted at 2 albums completed says nothing about how those releases are related nor whether both were ever intended to be released nor on what time frame.

I'm not suggesting your desire isn't real.  Only, damn, the album >>>>JUST<<<< landed.

7 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Yeah but where are the other 15 hours of music!? 

It's in the microsounds.  Go back and listen, you'll find it.  Take notes and report back.

• Like 1
  • Burger 2

5 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Yeah but where are the other 15 hours of music!? 

15? Our good old Sean talked about a ton of hours of unreleased music, adding that the only perplexity that kept them from releasing all that stuff was the fear that their music would "depreciate" from saturation. It was probably the covid_chat, or an interview, now I don't remember..

14 minutes ago, tailings said:

I'm aware......  

Even so, might they not have a moment to bask in the glory of completing SIGN.  Just because Sean hinted at 2 albums completed says nothing about how those releases are related nor whether both were ever intended to be released nor on what time frame.

I'm not suggesting your desire isn't real.  Only, damn, the album >>>>JUST<<<< landed.

right?! i was just saying that the other day... SIGN is not even officially out yet

2 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Just a joke, based on elseq being 4hrs, NTSS being 8 --> etc

Edit: That's just to greedily assume they'd be increasing the output exponentially. I suppose I'd be happy if this one were only 12hrs :shrug:

there's a flaw in your math mate

I was in the process of trying to write something about how Metaz form8 is one of the most emotionally affecting pieces they've ever created, and somehow this happened:

[spoiler]mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtemtematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematematemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemzatemz[/spoiler]

I was literally just trying to type the track title, so no idea where that came from... but it sums up what I was trying to say better than I could.

*guess that spoiler tag didn't work out.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Farnsworth 1

24 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

How so? SIGN is already an hour long. An additional 15 would bring it up to 16.  4 doubled is 8, 8 doubled is 16. Alternately if they were just increasing by 4hrs each time, it would be 12.  Dumb joke anyway, and maybe I didn't put it very clearly. Carry on

that makes sense, your math is good then ?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mushroom said:

elseq was better about it cuz at least most of the tracks weren't twice as long as they needed to be so it was easy to pick out a great double CD from it

I actually found NTS easier to digest than elseq cause of all the long tracks and each part coming out each week. It was an amazing time, find it strange all reviews saying it was to much!

Where as lots of people wanted a return to the usual album format, I was worried it wouldn't seem enough! But the lads have reminded me with SIGN that they are also masters at this format.

Love it more with each listen and think this could end up as one of my all time favs by them. Would love there to be a 2nd part but more than happy if this is it for now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kirm said:

Where as lots of people wanted a return to the usual album format, I was worried it wouldn't seem enough! But the lads have reminded me with SIGN that they are also masters at this format.

im really digging it. ppl have been expressing disappointment at its supposed straightforwardness but there's a lot of shit going on in these tracks. just cuz it's less abrasive on average doesn't mean there isn't a crazy amount of subtle detail to listen for

not that i want to jump on anybody for not liking it. thats a lame thing to do imo

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tailings said:

I'm aware......  

oh totally.. bask away.. it's still filtering through people's eager ears. 

Moves of Ten didn't come immediately after Oversteps and i expect a similar timeline with whatever the 2nd album is that they release. I'm just expressing enthusiasm for whatever the next installment is by say "can haz plz". 

• Like 3

Robot farts are pretty subjective, I’ve come to realize. We all seem to have our own preferences for robot farts and that’s okay, it really is. 

AE interviewed by the NY Times is so awesome.  Placing their photo on the front page is rather surreal.  On the one hand I skeeve at the idea of wallstreet brokers listening to AE >because< they read an article in the Times.  On the other hand, I strongly suspect anyone discovering AE >because< of the Times article will likely find themselves in such deep water they'll quickly go back to their safe territory of Maria Carey or Black Crowes or whatever.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

alco review by alco:

this is the new "autechre" album by them, the brothers. it's called "sign" which is short for "signs." i believe this is an m night shaymalan (or whatever) reference and i believe the "liquid" and "aquatic" aesthetic is a direct reference to this film. iirc the film is about aliens who visit earth but the water is too wet for them and they freak out. hence the autechre album "sign," in other words the wet one by the brothers. 

this album was given to me in strictest confidence by sean, one of the two brothers who go by "the 'chre." no one has heard it. he did a pre-release with fake tracks that rob sent him but the actual album is a solo album by sean himself. i asked if he was mad at rob and that's why he did this but he just said "nah" and "do you even know what you're talking about." rude, but typical. i believe this is "mancunian" but i'm from usa so i'm not sure.

track 1 "m4 diffain." this one is pretty cool, seriously. it starts off with your typical ae bullshit - little goofy fart type sounds and "dsp." but not so fast, this isn't your typical ae, this is new parameters ae. which means the first song abruptly changes to really fast vocal arpeggios and it is by "oneohtrix magix whatever" and everyone loves it. my mom called me from arizona and asked me what i was listening to and i told her but she didn't believe me. the end result of this conversation is that i am removed for her will and all of her vast fortune will be inherited by my brother who died several years ago. very strange stuff but this is what autechre is all about. this is "beat fuckery" of the highest order.

second track "Fruity Loops" version 7. sean sent me a post it in the mail saying this title is misleading and that he used version 8. i don't believe him. this clearly has version 7 vibes. for instance, there are synths on here with 2 oscillators and i know FL8 doesn't do this. this track is one of the "pads" tracks where he's copying rob. this means it's "lush" rather than "mental" and i feel a lot of emotions as a result. this causes me to feel like i am underwater but the water is made up of dreams instead of wetness. i'm swimming in my dreams and all around me are fish which are my different memories that are all sad and exquisite. there is a shark and that is my father. i'm scared but i miss him too. that's just how it works when you hear an "feels" track by sean (one of the brothers).

ok on to the next track which is called "sign" but the "gn" is replaced by "00" bc sean can't type (cf the name "autechre" - lol idiot). so this is the title track. it's also known as "the bubble track" or the "bubstep track" by the "bubble brothers." i came up with these names, i think they're pretty funny and i'm sending them off to warp records to see if they can be included in the promotional material for the record "sign" by autechre. i know one of the warp guys passed away (RIP) but i don't know which one so i will address my email "to whom it may concern." this track is obviously an hommage (mancunian: "piss take") to "analog bubblebath" by that one guy who told madonna to squeal like a pig. i appreciate that but the song has no tempo bc sean forgot to set it in "max" which is stupid bc it seems like he should know how to do that by now. this is where having rob in the studio would really come in handy but you gotta appreciate sean's effort. A for effort on this one, m9.

"esc desc" is weird bc it made me press "esc" which is one of the buttons on my keyboard (not sure if universal, as a creative/continental i am on "macintosh"). so anyway one of the new "features' of apple's new os is that when you press escape you can't use your iphone bc it's updated to the new ios which won't work on your phone bc it's now immediately obsolete. so, i wasn't using my phone and i didn't notice this but it's one of those things where everytime i use my phone i associate it with this track so i think this one sucks pretty bad bc it fucked up my phone. very "ambient" i guess.

"au 14" which, i believe, means "autechre 14" which refers to how long the brothers have been making music. 14 years already, hard to believe! i got into them back in 2019 kind of before they were well known. trent reznor emailed me and asked me to check them out and let him know my thoughts. i was like whatever man. but i'm glad i did because i'm a huge fan of stupid music that's just a bunch of sounds like if 5 rooms away some one wearing a suit of armor was vigorously fucking his collection of shields. au 14 is kind of lame though bc the beat has no bass, it's just like a 606 snare with their typical boss rsd10 delay on it like dude i've already heard this a million times. i'm guessing sean took this one from the archives to celebrate ae's 14th bday. lame. nothing out of ten.

so at this point in the record i had to flip over the digitals. the other side was messed up so i can't really comment. all i can say is that very clearly sean was trying to do a bunch of vocals and i guess warp let him do this bc he's in his 60s and they feel bad for him bc all the cool music is made by young people who are fashionable and use social media. some of the lyrics are really interesting though, i'll grant that. for example "psin AM" is about waking about and taking a leak and it's just kind of a cool slice of life thing like this is just sean giving his fans a peak at what it's like to be one of the ae brothers. i respect that. it's fan service but it's honest. then, weirdly, there's one called "th red a" which is another dumbass sean typo for "thread" and it's about posting on reddit and getting into creepy pasta and stuff. he sings about "slenderman" and whatever that one corny thing is where it's just like a shitty room with yellow walls and people on reddit are like "omg wow this is the scariest thing i've ever seen" and there are multiple youtube videos all with millions of views that are like "the room on reddit that will haunt you." apparently sean is into this kind of trash. fucking wanker lol

ok final track bc i have to go. to be honest i was just kind of skipping through most of this record and not really paying attention. nothing against sean but i just don't really like autechre or respect the band. the last track is typically called like "r gantz toodeetoo" or some corny shit like come on dude just call your tracks cool stuff like "bong garden" or "mother amulets" or "give me back my bike ii" it's unbelieveable that they keep releasing music with names like they do. anyway, this one is actually really good. i actually played it at 1% speed bc i wanted to enjoy it more. as a listener i feel there is no "proper" way to hear music, whatever i feel like doing is what i'm gonna do. so i played this out of one speaker at one percent. on the other speaker i was listening to squarepusher bc i really love some 100 year old man making wacky spasmatic beats like he's 11. it's so cool to me. plus, gotta love slap bass dude, it's so wacky as well. anyway, on this one sean steps away from the max bullshit and writes a proper tune with lots of cool synth sounds. you can tell he has a jupiter 8 bc it sounds very good. i'm also hearing a neve channel on this one, definitely got that signature rupert style sound. the beat is interesting, it's all samples of sean saying "cummies" but he makes it sound actually pretty serious and solemn. as i listened to this i envisioned myself as an old man, sitting in a retirement home staring at the wall. i can't make sense of a goddamn thing bc my brain has deteriorated so badly. thus, i am listening to caretaker. as old ballroom music plays with some reverb on it i have all these fragmented memories. i'm a child and it's "tree of life" and brad pitt is playing with me. my wife comes to visit me but i'm really mean to her for no reason and she goes home and cries bc while my organic vessel persists there is no longer love between us. i am gone. a nurse comes in to medicate me and it's discovered i've shit myself. this is normal. they change me and it's like i am a baby once more and i see my mother poiring baby powder on my ass and dick and stuff and i feel embarassed. luckily she puts a diaper on and doesn't linger staring at my literal baby dick. but then i'm an old man but i have the features of a baby. for like 5 seconds i remember where i am and what's going on. i hear the autechre song playing and it's like i am underwater again. i see all my memories drifting by, the fish memories, but now they are all corpses, the scales of their rotting flesh glimmering in the light. the smell is toxic, the water cold and inhospitable. i hear "cummies" "cummies" but it's like a sick beat that's completely fucked up. i don't know who i am but i know i never lived the life i wanted. i failed, i was a failure. "cummies" "cummies" "cummies" the beat gets more dissonant and i can feel the end. the last "cummies" beat plays as i close my eyes and drift away, a half lived life lost forever.

alco
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 19
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 3
  • Farnsworth 2

12 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

your typical ae bullshit

A+ review. degree was worth every penny. i laughed, i cried i laughed until i cried a little. literal lolz. greatness..

• Like 3