IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

8 hours ago, tailings said:

I feel your pain; absolutely none of my physical friends listen to Autechre.  Boards, check.  Aphex, check.  Meat Beat, check.  etc, but Autechre has proven too obtuse.  'tis nice to share the experience with folks online, at least.

For me, listening to Autechre is a very private affair. I don't even need people to give positive feedback about it. I know what it does for me  and that's enough, really. I have shared some Autechre with mates years ago and that didn't go well. It wasn't a nice experience, but I got over it. So sod 'em, it's private now!

• Like 1

Still no CD, which means the 19th at the earliest ?

If you want to get a CD out to remote Australia, then dispatching 8 days beforehand during Covid probably isn't going to cut it. Still, digitals are noice as fallback. Just irritating when you preorder something several weeks out and just know it won't get there on time.

Edited by Roo

2 hours ago, zkom said:

Ah, I found it

yet, in esc desc i keep finding traces of this:

(and while i'm far from being a hans zimmer follower, that slowdown at 1:30 breaks some serious big asses)

• Confused 1

I was the one idiot who forgot to pre-order so I ended up having to wait a week to download.

Anyway, just completed my first cycle. psin AM is the number one standout track for me at this time. Bears some similar melodic trends to classic BoC, yet feels distinct enough to be easily identifiable as otherwise. But on a more personal note, it's hitting me in the feels like nothing else right now.

I don't really have a good assessment on the rest right now. I'll have to give this album more listening cycles first.

• Like 3

If you consider my reverse logo theories conspiratorial, you have no idea what you are likely to find out there.
From you tube (be strong):

Ciarán Byrne

If you consider the central shape within the cover art as being representative of both the 'A' and 'E' surrounded in flame, this signifies ending / resignation.

W a v e s O f R e d

I personally don’t think Autechre will ever stop making music, I personally see the orange as some kindof life showing up in this barren, dystopian landscape. Really this cover can describe the album really well, being the most “human” in their dystopian sound of a discography. I think this album may foreshadow some kindof new beginning / renaissance for Autechre. Still an interesting take nonetheless.

Ciarán Byrne

@W a v e s O f R e d Yes, I suppose its interpretation would be colored by individual temperament. I do hope they continue to make music.

Ciarán Byrne

@W a v e s O f R e d Just to add, I don't think the sign necessarily represents Autechre's resignation from making music, but is more so reflective of a collective resignation in a broader context; artists and DJs being told to reskill by dim-witted politicians, covid, environmental decline, etc.

Kevin Cobb

This is the kind of fine intellect I expect from Autechre fans!
However, the flames do not necessarily indicate resignation, because their shape is the same color as the negative space surrounding them. Additionally, all of the orange shapes that suggest a flame are the same fundamental shape as that in the center, in different arrangements.

This could be interpreted as the graphic fire being the living envelope that defines Autechre; this could signify a greater acceptance of their identity with that fire, but also an admission that within the fire is that same neutral substance permeating the environment.

This gives me some Metroid Prime visuals, esp si00. I remember John and Dog's names being mentioned in the games "thanks to" credits and now I'm doin a think...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Draft78 said:

yet, in esc desc i keep finding traces of this:

(and while i'm far from being a hans zimmer follower, that slowdown at 1:30 breaks some serious big asses)

I guarantee Hans Zimmer didn't do any of the technical work in any of this (i.e., all of the work required to make electronic music).  I went to see him live last year and he was shit.  All of his chords progressions are the same.  I also have the Zebra 2 "Dark Zebra" preset pack by Zimmer.  No way on earth that cringe merchant programmed any of that.  He gets a technician with real skill to do it all for him.

I hate Hans Zimmer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Burger 2

17 minutes ago, LemanRuss said:

I guarantee Hans Zimmer didn't do any of the technical work in any of this (i.e., all of the work required to make electronic music).  I went to see him live last year and he was shit.  All of his chords progressions are the same.  I also have the Zebra 2 "Dark Zebra" preset pack by Zimmer.  No way on earth that cringe merchant programmed any of that.  He gets a technician with real skill to do it all for him.

I hate Hans Zimmer.

ewww are yuou serious?: thats rly sad

12 hours ago, zkom said:

I'm still fucking sure that I've heard the higher pitched laser gun sounds on the background of psin AM in some other track but can't for the life of me figure what it was. Driving me nuts. It's like a very vague dream I have of hearing them and thinking that that sounds pretty cool.

Maybe c7b2 the grande breakdown lazors ? Slightly different though and more metallic.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, zlwwlz said:

Maybe c7b2 the grande breakdown lazors ? Slightly different though and more metallic.

Nah, it's not those. There's some more ambient style track that has a really long outro, I think, with lush pads and lasers firing in the background. Or then I've dreamed the whole fucking thing.

To me psin AM is very weird, because it's like some heavy dissociative-like experience where you feel something is alien and very familiar at the same time. The first time I heard it I was thinking "yeah, I remember this thing, this always existed, but this is the first time I'm experiencing this". It's not really like deja vu, but something that used to be really familiar to you but then you forgot and now you are reminded of it again.

I don't how to word it better..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, zkom said:

I'm still fucking sure that I've heard the higher pitched laser gun sounds on the background of psin AM in some other track but can't for the life of me figure what it was. Driving me nuts. It's like a very vague dream I have of hearing them and thinking that that sounds pretty cool.

glos ceramic second half?

1 hour ago, zkom said:

Nah, it's not those. There's some more ambient style track that has a really long outro, I think, with lush pads and lasers firing in the background. Or then I've dreamed the whole fucking thing.

newbound maybe?? to me it also sounds familiar but i'm thinking atari 2600, can't put finger on a particular game tho.

3 hours ago, LemanRuss said:

I hate Hans Zimmer.

Doesn't Zimmer have a stable of composers and producers who does his stuff and those that have gone to do solo composing all sound like Hans?

Edited by azatoth

3 hours ago, LemanRuss said:

I hate Hans Zimmer.

Guess he is more like Hans Off amirite :cisfor:

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, zkom said:

Characi fits the description, but tbh there is  a lot of lasers in Autechre with slightly different ways of getting there, so it is probably true, good luck on your quest.

I think this album carries a message.
I listen to the album and I see a progress of situations.
Or maybe I should stop taking drugs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Burger 1

2 hours ago, zkom said:

"yeah, I remember this thing, this always existed, but this is the first time I'm experiencing this"

yeah dude i felt the same, it also sounded like something ive made in the past 

Edited by natios