Jump to content

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20


NewSchoolScience
 Share

Recommended Posts

Totally in love with this album. I'm finding that I'll listen to it all each time, rather than dipping into specific tracks; probably some conditioning from NTS, and Elseq.

It's been nice sharing the listening experience with friends, haven't been able to do that with an Autechre album since 1995. Mentioning Autechre is usually met with eye rolls. 

10 minutes ago, markedone said:

"crowded market"- yeah.. fuck off guardian.  sounds like that spotify ceo´s comments about musicians having to adapt to (his) market

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/16/autechre-sign-review-warp

I really don't get/or see the point of reviews anymore, at least in "trad" publications like that anyway. Pointless. Sure it's just an extension of marketing, and Warp gotta send those demos out... 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bodywithoutorgans said:

t's been nice sharing the listening experience with friends, haven't been able to do that with an Autechre album since 1995. Mentioning Autechre is usually met with eye rolls. 

I feel your pain; absolutely none of my physical friends listen to Autechre.  Boards, check.  Aphex, check.  Meat Beat, check.  etc, but Autechre has proven too obtuse.  'tis nice to share the experience with folks online, at least.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tailings said:

I feel your pain; absolutely none of my physical friends listen to Autechre.  Boards, check.  Aphex, check.  Meat Beat, check.  etc, but Autechre has proven too obtuse.  'tis nice to share the experience with folks online, at least.

Yeah, even online can be good, if it's the only option open. I've only dipped into this forum over the years, but it's always interesting to see strong felt experiences, positive and negative, especially for SIGN.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After sitting with the preorder for a week or so and now listening to it again today, I have to say this album fuckin rules. Bear in mind, if I had to give you my fave Ae album before this it would be either Oversteps or Untilted. It's just a sonic cavalcade that really unfurls after a few listens. 

M4 Lema is an amazing opener and it feels like their rig is just getting going in the beginning. This is probably my favorite "beat" track on the album. The end reminds me a bit of Altibzz. 

F7 is reminiscent of known(1), a personal favorite of mine. This has some Bronchusevenmx vibes as well near the back half. 

si00 is growing on me, a little too bubbly

esc desc is an amazing ambient swell

au14 reminds me of elseq/NTS output

Metaz form8 is a true highlight. Someone else described this like Vangelis and I can see it. This is hauntingly beautiful sci-fi if I've ever heard it

sch.mefd2 is decent, again remins me of elseq/NTS, with maybe a hint of Move Of Ten

gr4 is a cool little diddy, a great headphone piece with lots of great stereo phasing, sounds a little generative

th red A is another fave of mine. Those real buzzy stabs and the deep deep bass that comes through periodically is a pleasure

psin AM begins like a sped up "Everything You Do Is A Balloon" by boc, but this is a good chill down piece

r cazt easily has to be their best album closer since idk when, and that is a tough feat. YJY UX is masterful, Yuop is an amazing one, but this transcends all of them and really pummels you

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jules said:

This has been discussed at length in this thread. the sign cover consists of 2 "a" and 2 "e" shapes.

 

 

it is true, both letters are intertwined in the cover, but the "a" is like a ghost, while the "e" has a dominant role, and is the only one to be full. This gives hope for the same treatment for the "a"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love the whole thing ! Makes me feel good about everything for some reason and I am ready for death, not that it is coming, just in case, everything is connected etc. The pulse widhts are wide on this one! th red a is aewesome.

Edited by zlwwlz
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

lol this is kind of a "shallow" way to see it but for the time being I consider SIGN good because... Well, I've had Metaz form8 and r cazt on repeat a bunch of times. And that has been my typical ae listening style - finding tracks I like and then listening to them on repeat endlessly. I didn't find that at all with NTS when it came out and it sucked but I gave it another go after SIGN came out and now I've listened to elyc9 7hres on repeat dozens of times. So yet another few tracks that I can put on the "list"... good... It takes a while to judge albums as a whole because it takes me ages to go through all the tracks and properly get to know them so we'll see

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, drillkicker said:

My Bleep account appears to have vanished, so no new Autechre for me :catsob:

Update:  apparently I was registered with my old email that no longer exists

i had this issue, theres like multiple websites, there's an autechre bleep website and my account didn't work there.  my account worked on plain bleep.com though. idk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cyanobacteria said:

i had this issue, theres like multiple websites, there's an autechre bleep website and my account didn't work there.  my account worked on plain bleep.com though. idk

I had the opposite problem.  I was trying to login to bleep.com because I didn't know it was separate from the autechre bleep page.

Anyway, I had a listen and honestly I was quite underwhelmed.  It felt like a step back from what they've been doing over the previous decade.  Of course I'll need to listen again, but my first impression was not what I was expecting.  The chord progressions were more predictable, the rhythms were simple and linear, and the sound design didn't shock me at all.  Does anyone else feel this way ?  I'm hoping it'll start to make sense once I've listened more, like their albums usually do, but I was hoping for something more dynamic and dense considering it's a shorter release.

  • Like 2
  • Burger 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

I had the opposite problem.  I was trying to login to bleep.com because I didn't know it was separate from the autechre bleep page.

Anyway, I had a listen and honestly I was quite underwhelmed.  It felt like a step back from what they've been doing over the previous decade.  Of course I'll need to listen again, but my first impression was not what I was expecting.  The chord progressions were more predictable, the rhythms were simple and linear, and the sound design didn't shock me at all.  Does anyone else feel this way ?  I'm hoping it'll start to make sense once I've listened more, like their albums usually do, but I was hoping for something more dynamic and dense considering it's a shorter release.

you need more listens

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...