IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

n Cur is nice yeah. feels like a little extra tail to the album, which is fitting obv. reminds me of my early MIDI experiments sequencing the stock MIDI sounds, but really just sounds like some strange place between really old and really new. pseudo-nostalgic, i guess?

6 minutes ago, tailings said:

it would be fantastic if they'd release a comp of all those japanese bonus tracks.  What is preventing that from happening?

Embarrassment at how shitty and non-selling it would be?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

Just now, Amen Lare said:

Embarrassment at how shitty and non-selling it would be?

Shitty is a matter of opinion but you can't seriously think it would be non-selling.  There are plenty of people, (me included), who would like those tracks on hard copy.  I don't own any of those Beat records releases.  No matter; much, much thinner and sketchier comps have been releasedover the course of history; ae discards would be nearly prime cuts by comparison.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tailings said:

Shitty is a matter of opinion but you can't seriously think it would be non-selling.  There are plenty of people, (me included), who would like those tracks on hard copy.  I don't own any of those Beat records releases.  No matter; much, much thinner and sketchier comps have been releasedover the course of history; ae discards would be nearly prime cuts by comparison.

I seriously think that, how do you know there's plenty? Do you have an idea ~how many people buy regular releases for a start?

And what's this argument that sketchier comps were released? Ae should lower their standard closer to the worst releases in history coz they don't care or why, exactly?

Shitty or not to you, they were deemed as good as bonus tracks go by their creators, and in a comp context they would flow way worse than as an optional outro.

15 minutes ago, Amen Lare said:

Shitty or not to you, they were deemed as good as bonus tracks go by their creators

glares at MCR Quarter

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1

N Cur is so lush.  I really had to change hats from NTS to get into this album.  Glad I did.  It's basically Ambersteps.  Does anyone else think that track title is a reference to ncurses ?

40 minutes ago, tailings said:

Dunno, combining different Autechre eras on a single release... Can't see that work

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

N Cur is so lush.  I really had to change hats from NTS to get into this album.  Glad I did.  It's basically Ambersteps.  Does anyone else think that track title is a reference to ncurses ?

Probably, but also encore (which makes the track titles seem not that careless, considering telling titles like si00 and au14)

24 minutes ago, tailings said:

You mean like this?

image.png.b3d94e88804c6b43d9736bf4f236c93b.png

image.png

Yeah, this is a box set with different albums, tracks from different eras aren't mixed on one single album. That Warp Spotify playlist about AE someone posted here is a better example of mixing different AE styles from different times in a playlist. The difference is that they could choose tracks from the entire discography and therefore could choose tracks that somehow transition into each other well even though they belong to different eras. If they make a compilation of bonus tracks the selection is much smaller and harder to make work. You'd end up with Incunabula & Tri Rep tracks on the same release as keyosc. Doesn't really fit in my extremely humble opinion

5 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Yeah, this is a box set with different albums, tracks from different eras aren't mixed on one single album. That Warp Spotify playlist about AE someone posted here is a better example of mixing different AE styles from different times in a playlist. The difference is that they could choose tracks from the entire discography and therefore could choose tracks that somehow transition into each other well even though they belong to different eras. If they make a compilation of bonus tracks the selection is much smaller and harder to make work. You'd end up with Incunabula & Tri Rep tracks on the same release as keyosc. Doesn't really fit in my extremely humble opinion

So, in other words, a single release combining tracks from different eras, ie, a comp, (at least one of many possible kinds).  Yeah......

Edited by tailings
  • Farnsworth 1

12 minutes ago, tailings said:

The difference is that they could choose tracks from the entire discography and therefore could choose tracks that somehow transition into each other

Umm, I don't see any choosing on the EPS comp: it is simply a chronological compilation of all AE singles/eps up to that point.  

3 hours ago, tailings said:

Incur > N Cur, seems pretty straightforward as ae titles go.

or it refers to the nth iteration of a recursive loop

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 5:51 AM, zkom said:

Nah, it's not those. There's some more ambient style track that has a really long outro, I think, with lush pads and lasers firing in the background. Or then I've dreamed the whole fucking thing.

Maybe this?  Just noticed it today...