IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

n cur is one of Sign's most ethereal moments, I could play it on repeat for 24 hours without feeling its weight. It belongs to an internal vein of ae, which started with Rpeg, then returned more frequently in recent years (foldfree casual, carefree counter dronal, JNSN CODE GL16), and now has incorporated something Wagnerian. it's a crime that a piece like this is reserved for the Japanese edition: :catrage:

Edited by Draft78
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kirm said:

N Cur is really nice, if only someone could Permanently Make it mine, I would be greatly appreciative!  

did you the youtube post? go to there. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, tailings said:

it would be fantastic if they'd release a comp of all those japanese bonus tracks.  What is preventing that from happening?

They should do this and have an exclusive bonus track on the Japanese edition

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 24
  • Farnsworth 2

3 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

possibly even reminds me or terry rileys “a rainbow i[n Cur]ved air”

never listened to this but the first few minutes definitely make a good case for this theory. seems almost certainly a reference, if not a full homage or possibly even:  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the more I listen to this album, the more I really like it. 
I'm not sure I would put it in my top5 Ae releases, but it is really fucking good. 

In one of those interviews that was posted, Sandra mentioned M4 Lema started out with a more significant beat that really slammed. Then Ronette did his work and much of the beats were mixed down/out and it became a different thing. 
While I actually love the fact that this album is mostly beat-less, I do slightly long to hear the beat-slam version of M4 Lema. not that I dislike the version we got, but the implication of the beat is so tantalizing in that  track, the thought of letting it all materialize into some massive beat is mouthwatering. 

• Like 2

Hey all, what level of damage would you guys consider uhm... petty? Considering these vinyl aren’t typically repressed etc.... the top of my sleeve is damaged/split all across the top, other sides are fine. Should I be requesting a new sleeve?

• Like 1

I like how they can create an at best mediocre album. WATMM will use trillions of brain cycles and words to declare its greatness. 

A confirmation bias thing. I find myself thinking "why could it be awesome?". "They are Ae. It must be awesome". Quite unfair, if they were unknown artists, many of us would have moved on.

Ok, I'm telling nothing new here.

For me SIGN brought me back to some less explored territories in elseq and NTS.

SIGN for me has a lazy vibe. Traditional tracks set in traditional DAWs. idk idk idk

4 minutes ago, azatoth said:

What's your beef with Autechre and their DAWs, mr. Sausagewater

Cannot put it in words, DAWs like Cubase, S1, Ableton force you into some 4/4 and repetetive mindset, a trap - whereas, let's say just as an example you just had a timeline and samples and set your stuff manually there... To me SIGN sounds like they went from a free to a more trapped approach. Or I may just be confused ? It's not important. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Hey all, what level of damage would you guys consider uhm... petty? Considering these vinyl aren’t typically repressed etc.... the top of my sleeve is damaged/split all across the top, other sides are fine. Should I be requesting a new sleeve?

You are referring to the (mostly) blank orange paper sleeves, right? 

As long as the vinyl itself is fine I would just put the record in a better quality inner sleeve and keep the originals for A E S T H E T I C.

Which is what I'm doing right now because I'm finally giving the analog vinyls a first spin.  

Edit: M4 Lema is perfect. 

Edited by baph

3 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

I like how they can create an at best mediocre album. WATMM will use trillions of brain cycles and words to declare its greatness. 

A confirmation bias thing. I find myself thinking "why could it be awesome?". "They are Ae. It must be awesome". Quite unfair, if they were unknown artists, many of us would have moved on.

Thanks for saying this, I've now realised I'm a total piece of shit for enjoying this album

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

To me SIGN sounds like they went from a free to a more trapped approach.

It does to me too, but mostly in the synthesis. It’s almost traditional, except that there’s a bunch of little twists in every track that suggest it’s not.

• Like 1