Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

24 minutes ago, tailings said:

You mean like this?

image.png.b3d94e88804c6b43d9736bf4f236c93b.png

image.png

Yeah, this is a box set with different albums, tracks from different eras aren't mixed on one single album. That Warp Spotify playlist about AE someone posted here is a better example of mixing different AE styles from different times in a playlist. The difference is that they could choose tracks from the entire discography and therefore could choose tracks that somehow transition into each other well even though they belong to different eras. If they make a compilation of bonus tracks the selection is much smaller and harder to make work. You'd end up with Incunabula & Tri Rep tracks on the same release as keyosc. Doesn't really fit in my extremely humble opinion

5 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Yeah, this is a box set with different albums, tracks from different eras aren't mixed on one single album. That Warp Spotify playlist about AE someone posted here is a better example of mixing different AE styles from different times in a playlist. The difference is that they could choose tracks from the entire discography and therefore could choose tracks that somehow transition into each other well even though they belong to different eras. If they make a compilation of bonus tracks the selection is much smaller and harder to make work. You'd end up with Incunabula & Tri Rep tracks on the same release as keyosc. Doesn't really fit in my extremely humble opinion

So, in other words, a single release combining tracks from different eras, ie, a comp, (at least one of many possible kinds).  Yeah......

Edited by tailings
  • Farnsworth 1

12 minutes ago, tailings said:

The difference is that they could choose tracks from the entire discography and therefore could choose tracks that somehow transition into each other

Umm, I don't see any choosing on the EPS comp: it is simply a chronological compilation of all AE singles/eps up to that point.  

On 10/17/2020 at 5:51 AM, zkom said:

Nah, it's not those. There's some more ambient style track that has a really long outro, I think, with lush pads and lasers firing in the background. Or then I've dreamed the whole fucking thing.

Maybe this?  Just noticed it today...

n cur is one of Sign's most ethereal moments, I could play it on repeat for 24 hours without feeling its weight. It belongs to an internal vein of ae, which started with Rpeg, then returned more frequently in recent years (foldfree casual, carefree counter dronal, JNSN CODE GL16), and now has incorporated something Wagnerian. it's a crime that a piece like this is reserved for the Japanese edition: :catrage:

Edited by Draft78
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kirm said:

N Cur is really nice, if only someone could Permanently Make it mine, I would be greatly appreciative!  

did you the youtube post? go to there. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, tailings said:

it would be fantastic if they'd release a comp of all those japanese bonus tracks.  What is preventing that from happening?

They should do this and have an exclusive bonus track on the Japanese edition

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 24
  • Farnsworth 2

3 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

possibly even reminds me or terry rileys “a rainbow i[n Cur]ved air”

never listened to this but the first few minutes definitely make a good case for this theory. seems almost certainly a reference, if not a full homage or possibly even:  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the more I listen to this album, the more I really like it. 
I'm not sure I would put it in my top5 Ae releases, but it is really fucking good. 

In one of those interviews that was posted, Sandra mentioned M4 Lema started out with a more significant beat that really slammed. Then Ronette did his work and much of the beats were mixed down/out and it became a different thing. 
While I actually love the fact that this album is mostly beat-less, I do slightly long to hear the beat-slam version of M4 Lema. not that I dislike the version we got, but the implication of the beat is so tantalizing in that  track, the thought of letting it all materialize into some massive beat is mouthwatering. 

• Like 2

Hey all, what level of damage would you guys consider uhm... petty? Considering these vinyl aren’t typically repressed etc.... the top of my sleeve is damaged/split all across the top, other sides are fine. Should I be requesting a new sleeve?

• Like 1