Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

I like how they can create an at best mediocre album. WATMM will use trillions of brain cycles and words to declare its greatness. 

A confirmation bias thing. I find myself thinking "why could it be awesome?". "They are Ae. It must be awesome". Quite unfair, if they were unknown artists, many of us would have moved on.

Ok, I'm telling nothing new here.

For me SIGN brought me back to some less explored territories in elseq and NTS.

SIGN for me has a lazy vibe. Traditional tracks set in traditional DAWs. idk idk idk

4 minutes ago, azatoth said:

What's your beef with Autechre and their DAWs, mr. Sausagewater

Cannot put it in words, DAWs like Cubase, S1, Ableton force you into some 4/4 and repetetive mindset, a trap - whereas, let's say just as an example you just had a timeline and samples and set your stuff manually there... To me SIGN sounds like they went from a free to a more trapped approach. Or I may just be confused 😁 It's not important. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Hey all, what level of damage would you guys consider uhm... petty? Considering these vinyl aren’t typically repressed etc.... the top of my sleeve is damaged/split all across the top, other sides are fine. Should I be requesting a new sleeve?

You are referring to the (mostly) blank orange paper sleeves, right? 

As long as the vinyl itself is fine I would just put the record in a better quality inner sleeve and keep the originals for A E S T H E T I C.

Which is what I'm doing right now because I'm finally giving the analog vinyls a first spin.  

Edit: M4 Lema is perfect. 

Edited by baph

3 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

I like how they can create an at best mediocre album. WATMM will use trillions of brain cycles and words to declare its greatness. 

A confirmation bias thing. I find myself thinking "why could it be awesome?". "They are Ae. It must be awesome". Quite unfair, if they were unknown artists, many of us would have moved on.

Thanks for saying this, I've now realised I'm a total piece of shit for enjoying this album

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

To me SIGN sounds like they went from a free to a more trapped approach.

It does to me too, but mostly in the synthesis. It’s almost traditional, except that there’s a bunch of little twists in every track that suggest it’s not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

Cannot put it in words, DAWs like Cubase, S1, Ableton force you into some 4/4 and repetetive mindset, a trap - whereas, let's say just as an example you just had a timeline and samples and set your stuff manually there... To me SIGN sounds like they went from a free to a more trapped approach. Or I may just be confused 😁 It's not important. 

it probably takes a lil more thought to achieve odd time signatures in yr own environment than ableton, which lets you just punch it in and have the piano roll show where everything you're doing is relative to the measure??? i do wish AE would do it more often though, and electronic music in general! this album would have been a great opportunity to - tho to be fair tracks like metaz form8 feel like they're basically playing in legato-mode throughout, which is the apotheosis

i do see what's meant by calling this a step toward the "traditional," but clearly not a total surrender to it. i think something that's surprising in these tracks when viewed in that light is that they generally continue to lack clear out-in-the-lead melodies, tho many of them certainly imply some. it gives the mic to synthetic possibility spaces rather than particular sequences of notes, dunnit?

• Farnsworth 1

Most Ae songs are 4/4 and repetitive though?!

A DAW is only as limited as you are. And I'd say Ae are pretty good at getting whatever the fuck they want out of pretty much anything these days; I don't think anything forces them to be more "traditional". Maphive6.1 is a good example of that—they used a very pattern-based sequencer (PMA5) to make one of their most proggy tracks.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, baph said:

You are referring to the (mostly) blank orange paper sleeves, right? 

As long as the vinyl itself is fine I would just put the record in a better quality inner sleeve and keep the originals for A E S T H E T I C.

Which is what I'm doing right now because I'm finally giving the analog vinyls a first spin.  

Edit: M4 Lema is perfect. 

Nah not the inner sleeves, the actual Uhm... box? Exterior box dealy the sleeves and vinyl are in. Like it’s not the spine that’s split but the top of it is trashed it looks like someone shook it really hard and the vinyl cut through it. 

Sorry I have no idea why I don’t have the words to explain this properly. 😂

45 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Nah not the inner sleeves, the actual Uhm... box? Exterior box dealy the sleeves and vinyl are in. Like it’s not the spine that’s split but the top of it is trashed it looks like someone shook it really hard and the vinyl cut through it. 

Sorry I have no idea why I don’t have the words to explain this properly. 😂

I don't think it would be too bitchy to send a pic to the label asking politely if a replacement for just the broken cover is possible

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Hey all, what level of damage would you guys consider uhm... petty? Considering these vinyl aren’t typically repressed etc.... the top of my sleeve is damaged/split all across the top, other sides are fine. Should I be requesting a new sleeve?

Maybe see how it sits with you for a couple of days? Things like that can really get under the skin sometimes.

• Like 1