IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

5 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Having my first listen to this. Only on "au14" so far but man this is so melodic. It's a nice shift away from the last couple of years output, which was great but sometimes a little too overwhelming.

One question - maybe @Rob Ae can answer? WHere's the best place to buy the digitals from - Bandcamp or bleep? What puts more money in your pocket?

if you order from autechre.web part of the proceeds go to me and my family as a contribution for my reviews which many have said increase sales by several “units.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

51 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

if you order from autechre.web part of the proceeds go to me and my family as a contribution for my reviews which many have said increase sales by several “units.”

I tried to access autechre.web just in case this URL was part of a very elaborated joke.

Won't tell the result to maintain the mystery :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by Stock

6 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

Can't fool me, I know you would have registered the'chre.ae ?

Still ❤️ U @Alcofribas

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

I got confused and ordered a Mavis Beacon typing instruction instead.  Enjoying it immensely.  Many of the clicks and pings are right on point.  Not sure if you'll still get your kickback.

• Like 2

been thinking about the power of a laptop and internet connection in the context of activism. let's say you took a train to the capital to protest, to walk around, holding up a sign. compare that to the impact you can have with a device. get a tweet retweeting, you can rack up tens of thousands of impressions in an afternoon. you can do your own investigative journalism and publish it instantly. or just connect the loose wires - the information is out there, it's just not reaching the people that it needs to. you can engage people in an interactive way, linking directly to resources.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 1

Listening to this while watching watching Brahms: The Boy 2 and it works surprisingly well as a soundtrack. Especially when you consider how long Brahms had been living inside the wall cavities of the mansion, you can imagine Brahms listening to m4 Lema and getting lost in there, then when he bursts out and attacks the nun au14 works perfectly. 

• Facepalm 1

si00 is growing on me now, after more listening. Not sure what it is about this album, but it feels more focused, polished...and almost self-aware than past releases. Somehow I draw from it a sense of "existential unease" that didn't seem present before...if that makes any sense.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Schlitze said:

Listening to this while watching watching Brahms: The Boy 2 and it works surprisingly well as a soundtrack. Especially when you consider how long Brahms had been living inside the wall cavities of the mansion, you can imagine Brahms listening to m4 Lema and getting lost in there, then when he bursts out and attacks the nun au14 works perfectly. 

mhhh, ok...

it's probably better that the boys never know how well their fourteenth opera fits with that 

58 minutes ago, Chabraendeky said:

The review we have all waited for ?

He said everything what’s bad about the album but so little about what’s good! My grandmother could say what’s bad about it very easily! No prob at all

another thing this kid doesn’t understand is that a great artist never asks himself “what should he do” but instead “what shouldn’t he do” and that’s what’s ae all about regarding their release. Sign is just something they haven’t really released so far and at the same time something they enjoy themselves.

Edited by xox
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, xox said:

He said everything that’s bad about the album but so little about what’s good! My grandmother could say what’s bad about it very easily!

another thing that this kid doesn’t understand is that a great artist never asks himself “what should he do” but instead “what shouldn’t he do” and that’s what’s ae all about regarding their release. Sign is just something that they haven’t really released so far and at the same time something they enjoy themselves.

the fame’s gone to his head 

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

14 minutes ago, xox said:

He said everything that’s bad about the album but so little about what’s good! My grandmother could say what’s bad about it very easily!

another thing that this kid doesn’t understand is that a great artist never asks himself “what should he do” but instead “what shouldn’t he do” and that’s what’s ae all about regarding their release. Sign is just something that they haven’t really released so far and at the same time something they enjoy themselves.

There is this recurring complaint the music on SIGN would be "simplistic". Compared to what? And what's wrong about simplicity? Simplicity can be an artistic choice.

Anyhow, the tracks on SIGN are rhythmically and/or contrapuctal very complex (people seem to forget, that even tracks without drums can be rhythmically complex). There is  key sentence in the Times interview:

I’ve done a lot of work to disguise the amount of stuff there is in there.

That's the "simplicity" of SIGN. It's masterfully disguised complexity. And that is a whole new artistic level for Autechre. 
Music historians praise Mozart for doing the same: disguising very complex musical processes to seem simple.

Edited by Chabraendeky
  • Like 11

Apart from ‘M4 Lema’, ‘Metaz form8’, and ‘r cazt’, I’m still not really understanding this one. But at least that’s a proper great opener, a favourite in the middle, and a very beautiful and emotional ending note! I think it’s actually the sound design of the others more than anything else, which is weird because everyone else is raving about the sound - it’s that straight square-wavey (? - forgive my ignorance) and buzzy-sawtooth-ish pile-up that isn’t so enjoyable or why I go to Autechre, nor even the cute bubbly aquatic business going on in something like ‘si00’. ‘Known (1)’ did go from hated to loved, though, so maybe there’s hope when it comes to those raw tones - but that one did have crazy microtonal weirdness, lead sound glitching, cool structuring, and other interlocking fat mallet-like elements that were an entry point to later appreciation. 
Maybe I’m just shallow: the more obviously 3D, spectrally sumptuous, wide-ranging tones of the opener were an immediate hit, and it only grows on me with every listen. 

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 2