IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

26 minutes ago, Lianne said:

Apart from ‘M4 Lema’, ‘Metaz form8’, and ‘r cazt’, I’m still not really understanding this one. But at least that’s a proper great opener, a favourite in the middle, and a very beautiful and emotional ending note! I think it’s actually the sound design of the others more than anything else, which is weird because everyone else is raving about the sound - it’s that straight square-wavey (? - forgive my ignorance) and buzzy-sawtooth-ish pile-up that isn’t so enjoyable or why I go to Autechre, nor even the cute bubbly aquatic business going on in something like ‘si00’. ‘Known (1)’ did go from hated to loved, though, so maybe there’s hope when it comes to those raw tones - but that one did have crazy microtonal weirdness, lead sound glitching, cool structuring, and other interlocking fat mallet-like elements that were an entry point to later appreciation. 
Maybe I’m just shallow: the more obviously 3D, spectrally sumptuous, wide-ranging tones of the opener were an immediate hit, and it only grows on me with every listen. 

Autechre's ambient, mellow side is the stuff that's always been the most difficult for me—I never got into Amber—so I'm also still working on this one.  M4 Lema, au14, and r cazt are the ones that are recognizably Autechre to me.

I was just shuffling some tunes from my phone while doing dishes and a song comes on and got me wondering, is that a track from SIGN or is it Coil? I really couldn't tell. So I checked after a few minutes and it was "Dark River" From Love's Secret Domain. Interesting that I had to wonder considering I just played that album yesterday but have only played SIGN 3 times and the last time was a 8 days ago.

• Like 6

I actually only listened to this once. I really liked it, but it's very much not something to leave on in the background, and I haven't made the time to sit with it again with undivided attention. It's kind of nice dreaming about listening to it again, though. I've never had this relationship with an Autechre album before. Very odd.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I was just shuffling some tunes from my phone while doing dishes and a song comes on and got me wondering, is that a track from SIGN or is it Coil? I really couldn't tell. So I checked after a few minutes and it was "Dark River" From Love's Secret Domain. Interesting that I had to wonder considering I just played that album yesterday but have only played SIGN 3 times and the last time was a 8 days ago.

A favorite Coil track of mine, but unmistakably Coil indeed.  

I can only assume your lack of familiarity with this song and/or detachment while doing the dishes. 

• Like 3

Just finished my 5th listen and starting to see all the details hidden in the mix. Can confirm that there is absolutely nothing simple abt this, which was a pretty laughable statement. It’s rhythmically complex - abt as complex as anything else they’ve programmed in their vast labyrinthine repertoire. Also noticed that a lot of tracks which I initially thought of as beatless, actually do have beats - they’re just muted or buried in the mix :cat:

• Like 4

If there’s an Autechre album that wears its Coil influence on its sleeves, surely it’s got to be Oversteps and not SIGN. 

tbh I kind of wish there was more follow-through with the Oversteps compositional/melodic method, as much as I love everything that’s come since. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, baph said:

If there’s an Autechre album that wears its Coil influence on its sleeves, surely it’s got to be Oversteps and not SIGN. 

tbh I kind of wish there was more follow-through with the Oversteps compositional/melodic method, as much as I love everything that’s come since. 

Totally agree, was actually just thinking of this - all that plucky instrumentation... they definitely could’ve taken that sound further too. I can only assume that they actually did and it’s one of the many things locked up in their vaults 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zaizai said:

Or maybe because ae remixed this coil track ?

That's just a snippet of the gescom disengage radio show, not a remix, and it probably wasn't even ae at the controls

the track being mixed in is (prod. by Mark Pritchard, for the non-eagle eyed..)

Dark river was played many times on disengage, it's obviously an influential piece for them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baph said:

SIGN is COILish as hell IMHO

• Like 2

I must have missed that side of coil tbfh! 
Imo => Coil is shit compared to Autechre! Most importantly, Ae is never destructive nor depressed/ill, it was always constructive and pro-life and healthy, free of shit and truthful, totally different planet to the borderline music of Coil and similar bands. How something sounds doesn’t matter, what matters is the will behind the music, which is the sole purpose of music anyway. And those ‘clever’ lyrics of Coil are so adolescent! Makes me want to vomit ? So anti-ae! 
I’ve been constantly puzzled by music posted in ‘music similar to ae’ thread! Like, majority of it has nothing to do with ae! Nothing! And if it has, it’s only similar in some aspects of sound design and if someone’s trying to copy ae. Lame! Read the rules!!!

Autechre = free of shit ? 

Edited by xox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, tailings said:

A favorite Coil track of mine, but unmistakably Coil indeed.  

I can only assume your lack of familiarity with this song and/or detachment while doing the dishes. 

Indeed, detached while doing dishes – certainly wasn't wearing headphones and hearing every little detail. Bluetooth speaker playing at low to medium volume. Low quality and volume can lead to wildly different comparisons than high quality attentive listens.

Will be interesting to revisit the song today and perhaps give SIGN another spin.

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

Indeed, detached while doing dishes – certainly wasn't wearing headphones and hearing every little detail. Bluetooth speaker playing at low to medium volume. Low quality and volume can lead to wildly different comparisons than high quality attentive listens.

Will be interesting to revisit the song today and perhaps give SIGN another spin.

There was actually a "remix"of Dark River years ago that was being passed around on peer to peer sites that was labeled as an Autechre remix. I put remix in quotes because it was basically just Dark River with a drum beat added to the end and it definitely wasn't Autechre. 

19 minutes ago, xox said:

reviews (get 0)

interviews (yes pls)

reviews are really uninteresting, but it is true that it is quite rare to find statements that reveal that whoever wrote them really listened to Ae, and it 's for this exception that I posted them. Interviews, we know, are rare

Edited by Draft78

12 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I mean, there are vague similarities but I don’t think I’d ever mistake Coil for AE or vice versa? Maybe for a fleeting moment but I wouldn’t be head scratching...

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Draft78 said:

reviews are really uninteresting, but it is true that it is quite rare to find statements that reveal that whoever wrote them really listened to Ae, and it 's for this exception that I posted them. Interviews, we know, are rare

yes, the point is what can i learn about ae in a review? i just get irritated! if you can find someone that understand ae better than i do (we do) i'd be happy to learn something new. quite arrogant, i know, but what can i say. i'm an arrogant ass ? ...and we are the dreamers of dreams!

there's several levels or points to talk about: known musical theory, technical side of it, repertoire and philosophy of music. if anyone wants to learn anything worthwhile about ae, watmm is the place bc we've been covering all the points like no one else

Edited by xox
  • Like 4