Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

On 10/19/2020 at 7:35 AM, azatoth said:

Ah yes, you are the one that believe it's BS that they program their synths and effects in Max and they use some more "traditional" DAW. Gotcha.

Yeah, you got me here. IDK. I rather think their production does not differ and did never differ too much from all other electronic musicians. The rest is just marketing for kids. But now we're adult. Sandpaper and tanks, anyone?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

alco review by alco:   this is the new "autechre" album by them, the brothers. it's called "sign" which is short for "signs." i believe this is an m night shaymalan (or whatever) reference a

the autechre brothers. "the signs" in 2020. october. i forget the date. i'm meeting up with them, the "boys" of autechre. sean, the one who thinks its sick to make beats super wacky is smoking a cigar

Posted Images

11 hours ago, dingformung said:

Of course Max is freer than a DAW, if you know how to use it. My point basically was that a DAW doesn't fixate you onto a certain time signature and tempo, as someone  has suggested

I wasn't refering to tempo. 4/4 as a time signature was just an example. The DAW urges your mindset to be in a specific time signature and asks for repetitions. There's something Studio One Claustro edition.

claustro casual

Edited by Guest
18 hours ago, dingformung said:

Definitely an acceptable position, imo, lol. Maybe I would have liked another atonal beat heavy beast slightly better than ambient lushness. But an album like this was missing in their discography, so I'm not disappointed.

Next album won't disappoint you. Their new style:

25 minutes ago, Wurstwasser said:

From the nation that brought you Bach, Beethoven and Brahms. :facepalm:

I’m sure Sean and Rob can make this work. After all, on this album they do a fairly listenable rendition of background music to teary faced Kate Winslet hopping around the Moors crying out “Oh! Heatcliff!”

Having my first listen to this. Only on "au14" so far but man this is so melodic. It's a nice shift away from the last couple of years output, which was great but sometimes a little too overwhelming.

One question - maybe @Rob Ae can answer? WHere's the best place to buy the digitals from - Bandcamp or bleep? What puts more money in your pocket?

• Like 6

Damn that hour and six minutes went way too fast. Putting it back on for another spin. But after a first listen, this might be AOTY for me.

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

I wasn't refering to tempo. 4/4 as a time signature was just an example. The DAW urges your mindset to be in a specific time signature and asks for repetitions. There's something Studio One Claustro edition.

claustro casual

The grid can restrict you but you can deactivate it. I think in a way a DAW is even freer than modular systems because you can sequence by hand. You can place any sound anywhere you want. It's just time consuming to make complex tracks that way and not necessarily that much fun. Usually, unconsciously or consciously, you end up sequencing in a way that can also be expressed algorithmically. And that's what the bois did. Lazy fucks

• Like 1
5 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Having my first listen to this. Only on "au14" so far but man this is so melodic. It's a nice shift away from the last couple of years output, which was great but sometimes a little too overwhelming.

One question - maybe @Rob Ae can answer? WHere's the best place to buy the digitals from - Bandcamp or bleep? What puts more money in your pocket?

if you order from autechre.web part of the proceeds go to me and my family as a contribution for my reviews which many have said increase sales by several “units.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1
51 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

if you order from autechre.web part of the proceeds go to me and my family as a contribution for my reviews which many have said increase sales by several “units.”

I tried to access autechre.web just in case this URL was part of a very elaborated joke.

Won't tell the result to maintain the mystery :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by Stock
11 minutes ago, Stock said:

I tried to access autechre.web just in case this URL was part of a very elaborated joke.

Won't tell the result to maintain the mystery :emotawesomepm9:

Thank u for your support 

6 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

Can't fool me, I know you would have registered the'chre.ae 😉

Still ❤️ U @Alcofribas

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

I got confused and ordered a Mavis Beacon typing instruction instead.  Enjoying it immensely.  Many of the clicks and pings are right on point.  Not sure if you'll still get your kickback.

• Like 2

been thinking about the power of a laptop and internet connection in the context of activism. let's say you took a train to the capital to protest, to walk around, holding up a sign. compare that to the impact you can have with a device. get a tweet retweeting, you can rack up tens of thousands of impressions in an afternoon. you can do your own investigative journalism and publish it instantly. or just connect the loose wires - the information is out there, it's just not reaching the people that it needs to. you can engage people in an interactive way, linking directly to resources.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 1

Listening to this while watching watching Brahms: The Boy 2 and it works surprisingly well as a soundtrack. Especially when you consider how long Brahms had been living inside the wall cavities of the mansion, you can imagine Brahms listening to m4 Lema and getting lost in there, then when he bursts out and attacks the nun au14 works perfectly. 

• Facepalm 1

si00 is growing on me now, after more listening. Not sure what it is about this album, but it feels more focused, polished...and almost self-aware than past releases. Somehow I draw from it a sense of "existential unease" that didn't seem present before...if that makes any sense.

• Like 5