IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

Freytags-dramatic-arc.png

Wurstwasser once said that SIGN only has two stages, the initial situation and catastrophe. I punched him i his face, he cried.
I feel bad now, ...for not punching him harder! 

Spoiler

Edited by xox
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dingformung said:

lol, at first I thought you feel bad because you punched him, but then you said: "for not punching him harder!". hahahahah

it was a bit misleading at first

That was on purpose! ? 

climax and counter-counteraction 

I don't get M4 Lema. The beats? Feel like Boom, boom, boom, clap. Not necessarily bad, but if beats are rather simple there should be something else to it. But there's not much for me. Track is boring. An intro sleeping pill. 

May be just me. I'm more that Lentic type of guy. Or the beat development in tt1pd. The kind of stuff which I probably expect from Snare and Bro.

Edited by Guest

I don't get that you don't get M4 Lema. The comments? Sound like Blah, blah, blah, snore. Not necessarily bad, but if you don't like it who cares. But there's not much for me. Opinions are boring. An intro sleeping pill.

May be just me. I'm more that positive review type of guy. Or the review development in Alcofribas. The kind of stuff which I probably expect from WATMM.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, dingformung said:

AE don't have that Aristotle style arc of suspense other modern music has, they rather try to establish a plateau, a sweet spot if you will, and to hold and variate the track from there with the occasional pay-off in form of some sweet deconstruction toward the end of the track as opposed to the inevitable climax.

Freytags-dramatic-arc.png

Yeah that’s it. Although I don’t think there’s just the one arc that can give a song some development. Give me... a breakdown, or a key change, or... something.

Autechre *does* do these things, and I think those are some of the tracks that I love most. But most of SIGN’s tracks do seem to just start on a plateau of intricate, variegated beauty and then just stay there for several minutes. We can explore all the amazing micro structural variation but it’s 1000 ways to deliver the same 4 bars or whatever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, auxien said:

R-15194832-1587934727-1106.jpeg.jpg

Heh, sure, but Anti EP is the perfect counterpoint. You’d expect a set of tracks that were intended to “non-repetitive dance music” to be 1000 variations on the same 4 bars, but listen to the amazing development within each of the 3 tracks. It’s that element that I’m greedily wanting Autechre to fuse with their current level of virtuoso command of sound design, rhythm, and even melody. 

Weird side question here, does anyone have insight into the photos that are included with the Sasha Frere-Jones article/interview? Are they just subjective creative content or are the relevant to the article? I kind of wanted to believe that they were from Sean's or Rob's neighborhood, but that seems hyper-unlikely.

22 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

Nah, not as harsh as you are saying.

Programming stuff in Max and letting all the lights marketing shine on it. It helps maintaining a nerd status.

I think I didn't say marketing is a bad thing.

But you haven't given any reason to believe that it isn't true. Again: Autechre programming their own tools in Max isn't some outrageous thing that requires suspension of disbelief. So why should anyone take your word over theirs?

• Like 1

Never care for numbers but for unknown reasons I take keen interest in Spotify figures. 

Autechre take a mahoosive leap from (roughly) a very steady monthly reading of 140,000 listeners (they used to be about 85,000 when I joined a few years ago) to almost 220,000!

Awesome ? 

I also bought the physical so I’m not just a Spotify vampire  ?‍♂️ 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Farnsworth 4

4 hours ago, sherkaner said:

Heh, sure, but Anti EP is the perfect counterpoint. You’d expect a set of tracks that were intended to “non-repetitive dance music” to be 1000 variations on the same 4 bars, but listen to the amazing development within each of the 3 tracks. It’s that element that I’m greedily wanting Autechre to fuse with their current level of virtuoso command of sound design, rhythm, and even melody. 

i'm generally with you on wanting more 'development' within any song. but i also know from years of listening to AE that even when it seems static, there's a 95% chance that there's development and growth happening that you're just not aware of fully, it takes time to sorta tune your ears to their tracks and get into and see what's happening. one of the great things about them ofc. 

but naturally, that's not every track. there's some that truly are 'static' in some sense or another (elseq i'm looking at you). i know i've already started to sorta sink in on some that seemed at the surface more static, and i'm starting to understand where the development is happening...but of course, there's large parts of the instrumentation on this that isn't obviously twisty and morphing and kicking in huge changes, it is 'static' but there is much else happening within.

greedily wanting something out of any artist is almost always a fool's errand, naturally. i'm very guilty of the same over the years, but luckily have sorta broke myself of that for the most part. especially with AE or similar artists...they're just gonna do what they're gonna do and either you're into or you're not, or maybe it'll click with you later. again, the expectations i think are what's hurting many people's impressions of this album. obv that's not all of it and it's not for everyone, like any art. :flower:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mic Finger said:

Weird side question here, does anyone have insight into the photos that are included with the Sasha Frere-Jones article/interview? Are they just subjective creative content or are the relevant to the article? I kind of wanted to believe that they were from Sean's or Rob's neighborhood, but that seems hyper-unlikely.

I believe it's a byproduct of self-publishing (substack is a self-publishing platform), SFJ is breaking up text blocks to appear lighter on the eyes but has to do it with unlicensed pictures, so he just uses his own.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, purlieu said:

So any news on the green one yet?

Rumour has it that, to counter the unwanted popularity from SIGN, the green album is a single 58-minute-long fart (but with a bewildering amount of fine detail "buried" in it)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, purlieu said:

Waiting for November 13th currently (tho if it's a release date, then news could be closer in calendar)

Notice the green gradient next to orange

spacer.png

59 minutes ago, Amen Lare said:

Waiting for November 13th currently (tho if it's a release date, then news could be closer in calendar)

Notice the green gradient next to orange

spacer.png

is this from their site?

1 hour ago, purlieu said:

Nah, they changed their minds. Rob and Sean got sick of Wurstwasser complaining in the back seat, so Sean said, "That's it! I'm turnin' this car around!!". No holiday down south in the greens for us. Thanks a lot Wursty. Always ruining it for the rest of us. 

• Haha 7

Received my vinyl today as well as the new DgoHn. Happened to notice that they both have long barcodes on the left hand side of the back cover. Is this a strange coincidence or a common thing with vinyl covers nowadays? 

While I still enjoy SIGN, I find it frustrating that nothing hits quite as hard as that first livestream listen? it felt like 25 minutes of going 'woahhh'!
Like every album release, it forced me to revisit the previous NTS Sessions which I once found spotty and impenetrable. Some more gems for sure, but thats how it goes with autechre.