IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

2 hours ago, Chabraendeky said:

I think they used that Century-Gothic-like font for writing "autechre" straight trough from LP5 to Untilted in slight variations. That was kinda going logo-like. Then Quaristice happened. 

Thinking about it, it started with Cichlisuite. The Confield variant looks more different to me as time passes, and the Untilted one is even more so, but even then they were similar enough for it to not just feel like a coincidence. In fact, the overall sleeve layouts of Gantz Graf, Draft and Untilted are all extremely similar. The Quaristice art really came out of left field after eight years of a certain amount of consistency.

• Farnsworth 1

10 minutes ago, Blir said:

Sean PM'd me and said their main inspiration for SIGN has been the work of Phil Minton

so we are now finally getting the long awaited ae cappella album? hooray! 

Edited by naawRaybarn

3 minutes ago, purlieu said:

Thinking about it, it started with Cichlisuite. The Confield variant looks more different to me as time passes, and the Untilted one is even more so, but even then they were similar enough for it to not just feel like a coincidence. In fact, the overall sleeve layouts of Gantz Graf, Draft and Untilted are all extremely similar. The Quaristice art really came out of left field after eight years of a certain amount of consistency.

yeah, Cichlisuite, you're right. Similar font, just with a bit more spaced characters.

Now, that I look on my CD-shelf the fonts used from Anti till Tri repetae (first letter in capital, bold Arial-like font) was pretty consistent too, and it kinda came back on Oversteps/Move of Ten, but probably already on Quaristice just in italics. And the proper title on NTS is in the same vein too.

Really left field were imo only the fonts for Chiastic Slide and Exai.

I tried the warp player yesterday, it wasn't working, I pressed the 'next track' button, still nothing, all of a sudden it switched to an AFX track, and I was like "what the NO STOP". Caught me off guard. If this were to happen whilst I was having an EEG, it'd register a massive mismatch negativity spike. Huge MMN. The biggest MMN.

24 minutes ago, naawRaybarn said:

it will be an acappellambientish album spiced up with some drone elements here and there. I can feel it. Can't wait!

Poppycock.  We already got that, more or less, with NTS, particularly if you acknowledge that the >MACHINES< are singing.....

So naturally, being that SIGN is forecasted to be a radical departure from that prior style, the new album is more likely to be a folk/thrash/ska album, albeit in an abstracted form.  Like, duh.

32 minutes ago, manmower said:

Let's not get too excited here, I mean, technically it could suck, right?

No. Even though you might not like it, it still wouldn't suck. Given that it would definitly bring a whole new "WTF!? Why? What? How?"-mindfuck to break your skull on, if you wouldn't like it. That's AE-101!

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, manmower said:

Let's not get too excited here, I mean, technically it could suck, right?

I'm yet to hear an AE album that sucks. And I'm somewhat (overly) critical when it comes to music and my favourite artists. Most of the artists I love have dropped in quality quite significantly over the years but Autechre for some reason are very consistent quality-wise to me. I'm not afraid it could suck. They would have to do that deliberately, like completely change their sound design to mainstream EDM or something. Autechre to me is mostly about sound design not so much about composition.

12 minutes ago, goDel said:

No. Even though you might not like it, it still wouldn't suck. Given that it would definitly bring a whole new "WTF!? Why? What? How?"-mindfuck to break your skull on, if you wouldn't like it. That's AE-101!

they seem to have managed to put themselves in a position that they cannot go wrong: listening with the precognition that it is about autechre one perceives everything according to a conditioned perspective. An experiment with flavor has been done: it seems that if you taste a food convinced that it is good, the brain releases more serotonin, and the taste is actually better.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

The harmonic overtones from 0:32 - 0:43 are well lush.  Perfect fifths, would make an excellent fuzz guitar riff.  Imagine a band where the singer could do that consistently.  You'd have a whole new genre of metal.  Or Sunn O))) could just have him guest on something.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

18 hours ago, mushroom said:

yah no play for me......keep getting slo bird whistle instead

And that's a bad thing?

12 hours ago, demo said:

Okay so... this could be nothing, but in the email received from Warp, it included a version of the cover without text. I noticed some strange artefact type stuff, at first I thought it was image compression but now I am not so sure.... Anyway, this is probably nothing, I could still just be coming down from the BoC stuff last week.

spacer.png
spacer.png

That's just compression where the text was removed from the image most likely

Just now, Schlitze said:

That bean shape was something i'd encountered before before

DSC_1232.JPG

Bean there done that

25 minutes ago, eclipsis said:

Autechre to me is mostly about sound design not so much about composition.

strange, in my case what makes the difference between others is the fact that every element, even the most exasperated sound, is functional to the compositional purpose

• Like 5
  • Farnsworth 1

@Draft78 agree!

Genius is the innate mental predisposition through which nature gives the rule to art”. 
— Kant

To say a genius is ‘wrong’ is like saying that a bird looks wrong or that water is moving wrongly.

Edited by xox
  • Thanks 1