Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

alco review by alco:   this is the new "autechre" album by them, the brothers. it's called "sign" which is short for "signs." i believe this is an m night shaymalan (or whatever) reference a

the autechre brothers. "the signs" in 2020. october. i forget the date. i'm meeting up with them, the "boys" of autechre. sean, the one who thinks its sick to make beats super wacky is smoking a cigar

Posted Images

This is what Ian Anderson also said on Twitter about the artwork and the album:

"What if it weren’t a puzzle. What if it is what it is not a function of something else? Just imagine :-)"

"...seriously it sounds a bit different..."

He sounds a bit upset about the criticism:

"Why the placement of Autechre SIGN in the top left, instead of in the middle of the circle? Thinking face"

"They call it design, apparently. But you could cut it out and shove it where you want Face with tears of joy"

Notice the "fluorescents" hashtag. I bet you it's fluorescent on the vinyl cover and, hopefully, the CD too, and looks really cool. I'm very curious, excited, and a little scared about the different sound ("Oversteps" was the only misstep [sorry] for me in their flawless, progressive streak since the most-underrated "Untilted). Especially, since Ian wrote that "you need to hear what it looks like". Colorful, warm, and fluorescent...

Edited by MarcinKoczot

I'd be willing to bet that these are individual albums. 1 sean and 1 rob. The sign is a play on all the sean names and the green will be a play on rob's name. won't be the first watmm joke they've acknowledged.

2 hours ago, very honest said:

wonder if they did a sean album and a rob album

said similar in chatmm earlier today. we still got that green one..

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, YELLOW said:

Where did this orange and green thing come from? I guess I'm behind on my chre lore

some guy last week said his mate worked at a printers doing the new ae packaging. Said one was orange on grey and one green on grey. 

Combine that with Sean saying 2 new albums due in last 3/4 of the year back in mixlr chat and bæb’s your uncle

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

some guy last week said his mate worked at a printers doing the new ae packaging. Said one was orange on grey and one green on grey. 

Combine that with Sean saying 2 new albums due in last 3/4 of the year back in mixlr chat and bæb’s your uncle

Cheers, thank you!

Well this just got spicier!

• Farnsworth 1
1 minute ago, YELLOW said:

The least they could have done was add sound

Edited by thumbass
2 hours ago, purlieu said:

To be fair, the same ae lettering was using on LP5, EP7, Gantz Graf and Draft 7.30, which felt like they were going for something identifiable.

yeah, for several years they have used fonts with a similar line, and in fact in gantz graf and draft the abbreviation ae is identical (I forgot this in draft), so I would say there was a recognizable aesthetic and at least two occasions something very close to a logo, however I was referring to a symbol, as can happen for aphex or deadmau5 ... if the onesix graphics are actually their logo, we would enter this territory for the first time .. well in fact I have opened a rather sterile reflection...

Sean PM'd me and said their main inspiration for SIGN has been the work of Phil Minton

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Chabraendeky said:

I think they used that Century-Gothic-like font for writing "autechre" straight trough from LP5 to Untilted in slight variations. That was kinda going logo-like. Then Quaristice happened. 

Thinking about it, it started with Cichlisuite. The Confield variant looks more different to me as time passes, and the Untilted one is even more so, but even then they were similar enough for it to not just feel like a coincidence. In fact, the overall sleeve layouts of Gantz Graf, Draft and Untilted are all extremely similar. The Quaristice art really came out of left field after eight years of a certain amount of consistency.

• Farnsworth 1
10 minutes ago, Blir said:

Sean PM'd me and said their main inspiration for SIGN has been the work of Phil Minton

so we are now finally getting the long awaited ae cappella album? hooray! 

Edited by naawRaybarn
3 minutes ago, Blir said:

until October 16th I will do nothing but watch this on repeat.
The over step can be Move Of DrThomas

• Farnsworth 1
3 minutes ago, purlieu said:

Thinking about it, it started with Cichlisuite. The Confield variant looks more different to me as time passes, and the Untilted one is even more so, but even then they were similar enough for it to not just feel like a coincidence. In fact, the overall sleeve layouts of Gantz Graf, Draft and Untilted are all extremely similar. The Quaristice art really came out of left field after eight years of a certain amount of consistency.

yeah, Cichlisuite, you're right. Similar font, just with a bit more spaced characters.

Now, that I look on my CD-shelf the fonts used from Anti till Tri repetae (first letter in capital, bold Arial-like font) was pretty consistent too, and it kinda came back on Oversteps/Move of Ten, but probably already on Quaristice just in italics. And the proper title on NTS is in the same vein too.

Really left field were imo only the fonts for Chiastic Slide and Exai.

1 minute ago, cichlisuite said:

Is it an ambient album, is it an ambient album?

it will be an acappellambientish album spiced up with some drone elements here and there. I can feel it. Can't wait!

I tried the warp player yesterday, it wasn't working, I pressed the 'next track' button, still nothing, all of a sudden it switched to an AFX track, and I was like "what the NO STOP". Caught me off guard. If this were to happen whilst I was having an EEG, it'd register a massive mismatch negativity spike. Huge MMN. The biggest MMN.

24 minutes ago, naawRaybarn said:

it will be an acappellambientish album spiced up with some drone elements here and there. I can feel it. Can't wait!

Poppycock.  We already got that, more or less, with NTS, particularly if you acknowledge that the >MACHINES< are singing.....

So naturally, being that SIGN is forecasted to be a radical departure from that prior style, the new album is more likely to be a folk/thrash/ska album, albeit in an abstracted form.  Like, duh.

32 minutes ago, manmower said:

Let's not get too excited here, I mean, technically it could suck, right?

No. Even though you might not like it, it still wouldn't suck. Given that it would definitly bring a whole new "WTF!? Why? What? How?"-mindfuck to break your skull on, if you wouldn't like it. That's AE-101!

• Like 9