IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

2 hours ago, cern said:

Sign is so god damn good people! I want that logo on a poster on my wall so badly!

Autechre-_-SIGN-Cover-925x540.jpg

Ask sean to name your poster! Just pm, he’ll do it no prob! He named all of my furniture! Such a sweet guy!

And only then you can place it on your wall. Sorry... Read the rulaez!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 8:36 PM, mcbpete said:

Was curious to see how well Ableton could cope with all the *everything* of the track when automagically converting it to midi

.... Gets itself in a bit of a big muddle a few times but there's definitely something there with only a bit of cleaning up -

Gave it a second attempt as that first one was a shambles on many levels. Slowed it down as you have to do that in the church or the churchminister gets cross ...

• Like 3
  • Burger 2

gems:

• m4 lema
  • esc desc
  • metaz form8
  • th red a
  • r cazt

beauties:

• psin am
  • f7
  • gr4

evil:

• au14
  • si00
  • sch.mefd 2

stuffing these into an album... it's a portal, as illustrated by the album art. the orange goes to the green. 

autechre's classical album. 

Edited by very honest
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

SIGN is juicy

If Oversteps is candy, SIGN is fruit 

Like the System is becoming more and more organic...

to me SIGN overall sounds very digital, tho some of the sounds within have a sheen of organic/analog/realism occasionally. i like it a lot, but Oversteps sounds far more organic imo, compositionally in particular and overall really. 

On 3/15/2021 at 3:08 PM, jules said:

I love the underlying darkness

giphy.gif

this

• Like 3

I mean it's always going to sound digital lol isn't it? Unless they start using actual acoustic instruments of course. I guess I mean it's more like an AI's interpretation of fruit. 

I've been immersed in Oversteps the past couple of weeks and then listened to SIGN again. Oversteps is very colourful and lush but there's still something crystalline or chunky about it (the percussion especially feels very "chunky" in a few cases)

21 hours ago, auxien said:

some of the sounds within have a sheen of organic/analog/realism occasionally

This is what I was thinking about, like some of the sounds are like looking at the edges of a fractal and finding more fractals, or looking closely at the edge of a leaf that looks smooth and realizing it's lined with tiny hairs. Oversteps has this richness but I feel like you can still find the "edges" of the sounds. A lot of the sounds in SIGN seem to be breathing, just more lifelike in general, as if you could look at the sounds under a microscope and see life in it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Unless they start using actual acoustic instruments of course.

Just for a second imagine what an all acoustic Autechre album would sound like...

(Non-native English, so bear with me below) (also slightly drunk post, so bear with me belowow)

I've been thinking about this for a while now.

Does Autechre do what it does best within its current practice, or is it still searching for an ultimate framework to work in? Is it digital (however it still may evolve), or will they eventually steer away from it? Does the digital platform allow them to actually make music that would otherwise be impossible to make and thus surpass reality, or are we just kidding ourselves and is reality still stranger than fiction? After all, anything digital (fiction) is still made real via a paper cone and is therefore 'downplayed' into the real world to hear. Anything digital is channeled through that and may therefore forever be less real than anything actually real. Ofcourse, any recording played through that same paper cone, regardless of the instruments originally used will be similarly downplayed, but a digital sound can't come from anything but that paper cone (unless I'm wrong about that ofcourse).

I consider Autechre to be really pushing things forward, even more so than Aphex Twin does (though Aphex actually does do acoustic things). I think they have yet to show their best. What that will sound like is anyone's guess. I don't think even they can imagine that just yet. What is their final album going to be like? And when will that be? Not anytime soon if you ask me. They're simply not done yet. Their motto may be more "how much music haven't we made?" than "how much have we made?". The first is infinite for sure, and that is what I believe drives them.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, eassae said:

I'm laughing. Am I supposed to be laughing?

Or you can enjoy listening to it... what ever you feel like!

Edited by xox

On 4/10/2021 at 3:35 PM, toaoaoad said:

I mean it's always going to sound digital lol isn't it? Unless they start using actual acoustic instruments of course. I guess I mean it's more like an AI's interpretation of fruit. 

I've been immersed in Oversteps the past couple of weeks and then listened to SIGN again. Oversteps is very colourful and lush but there's still something crystalline or chunky about it (the percussion especially feels very "chunky" in a few cases)

This is what I was thinking about, like some of the sounds are like looking at the edges of a fractal and finding more fractals, or looking closely at the edge of a leaf that looks smooth and realizing it's lined with tiny hairs. Oversteps has this richness but I feel like you can still find the "edges" of the sounds. A lot of the sounds in SIGN seem to be breathing, just more lifelike in general, as if you could look at the sounds under a microscope and see life in it.

of course! agreed with all you've said there, really like the 'fractal/edge of a leaf description. i can see where you're coming from a bit better there, don't disagree. SIGN is still pretty new, so i'm sure my view of it over the next 10 years is going to morph as much as i feel my feelings re: Oversteps has. 

21 hours ago, t yst r said:

Just for a second imagine what an all acoustic Autechre album would sound like...

(Non-native English, so bear with me below) (also slightly drunk post, so bear with me belowow)

I've been thinking about this for a while now.

Does Autechre do what it does best within its current practice, or is it still searching for an ultimate framework to work in? Is it digital (however it still may evolve), or will they eventually steer away from it? Does the digital platform allow them to actually make music that would otherwise be impossible to make and thus surpass reality, or are we just kidding ourselves and is reality still stranger than fiction? After all, anything digital (fiction) is still made real via a paper cone and is therefore 'downplayed' into the real world to hear. Anything digital is channeled through that and may therefore forever be less real than anything actually real. Ofcourse, any recording played through that same paper cone, regardless of the instruments originally used will be similarly downplayed, but a digital sound can't come from anything but that paper cone (unless I'm wrong about that ofcourse).

I consider Autechre to be really pushing things forward, even more so than Aphex Twin does (though Aphex actually does do acoustic things). I think they have yet to show their best. What that will sound like is anyone's guess. I don't think even they can imagine that just yet. What is their final album going to be like? And when will that be? Not anytime soon if you ask me. They're simply not done yet. Their motto may be more "how much music haven't we made?" than "how much have we made?". The first is infinite for sure, and that is what I believe drives them.

the funny thing regarding 'reality being stranger than fiction' is that in many ways technology is making this more obvious, while simultaneously blurring the lines between the two....you're hinting at it there, with digital = fiction but of course we know that's a blurred line (digital recordings of acoustic performances, etc). AE are definitely pushing forward, but ofc just in their own ways, for their own music and purposes. 

related, i think there's some future there in combining the digital sources with ever more complex real interfaces....instruments that support MPE now being the easiest to reference, but ultimately i think over the next few decades having a bit more interaction between physical objects that manipulate digital and/or 'acoustic' aspects of 'instruments' is a really fertile playground. it may be more work than it's worth ultimately, idk, as in there may just be a lot of dead ends, idk. just blabbering at this point, good post tho ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

th red a continues to be more and more of a standout for me, and I realized part of what makes it feel special is that they so rarely do tracks in 3 or 6 time sigs (the only other one I could think of offhand is the second half of Cipater). It works so well here and it gives the track a weird sort of sea shanty vibe which fits really well with the other aquatic sounding stuff on SIGN (si00, r cazt, etc.. I get lots of oceanic images in my head with this album)

• Like 3

On 5/8/2021 at 5:31 AM, Boxus said:

th red a continues to be more and more of a standout for me, and I realized part of what makes it feel special is that they so rarely do tracks in 3 or 6 time sigs (the only other one I could think of offhand is the second half of Cipater). It works so well here and it gives the track a weird sort of sea shanty vibe which fits really well with the other aquatic sounding stuff on SIGN (si00, r cazt, etc.. I get lots of oceanic images in my head with this album)

"sea shanty" aspect is interesting. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...