IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

The Au14 chord progression is strangely poppy.  I don't think I'd ever honed in on that aspect during previous listens.  It put the track in a new light.  That's one thing I appreciate about Ae's newer material - the nature of the music changes depending on where you focus.  Same thing can apply to their older material too, but more so from Oversteps onward (for me, at least).  Not that Oversteps is new, by any means (though it really could have been released any time between then and now and not sound dated/like anything else).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Why do people like r cazt so much? 

it's like the hook of a really good song stretched out over the length of the tune but it's an autechre hook and it's mega lush and deep dark and ambient and somehow heavy but light and endearing at same time. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone catch what he said in the AMA about SIGN and PLUS?

They basically made these tracks just to build up some chops on some new software they were using, in the intention to use it for the Sophie remix.

And by the time they were done they were sick of the software and didn't use it for the Sophie remix.

I guess the next step was them ringing warp and being like "uuh, we've got some tracks here I guess?"

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

SIGN is such a water album. 100% ocean vibes. Sun shimmering on the surface, waves breaking against the rocks, bioluminescent deep sea creatures.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hello spiral said:

They basically made these tracks just to build up some chops on some new software they were using, in the intention to use it for the Sophie remix.

And by the time they were done they were sick of the software and didn't use it for the Sophie remix.

I guess the next step was them ringing warp and being like "uuh, we've got some tracks here I guess?"

yeah.

he also confirmed PLUS to basically consist of "leftovers" of the same sessions which didn't fit the SIGN vibe and that it probably should have been an EP in hindsight ("... too greedy"), which i found kinda reassuring cos that pretty much confirms my own take on it. those mellow tracks in the second half, as good as they, just don't lend themselves to the overall flow imho.

glad they're out there regardless, not like playlists are hard to manipulate anyway.

there's no such thing as a released ae track too many.

• Like 5

On 6/8/2022 at 6:14 PM, hello spiral said:

I could always check it myself but am lazy - From memory it was using an Ableton/Max for Live combo as his workflow .....

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, jaderpansen said:

yeah.

he also confirmed PLUS to basically consist of "leftovers" of the same sessions which didn't fit the SIGN vibe and that it probably should have been an EP in hindsight ("... too greedy"), which i found kinda reassuring cos that pretty much confirms my own take on it. those mellow tracks in the second half, as good as they, just don't lend themselves to the overall flow imho.

glad they're out there regardless, not like playlists are hard to manipulate anyway.

there's no such thing as a released ae track too many.

Leftovers though they may be, I still have more things I like the most on PLUS even if I can't deny SIGN flows better

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 7:14 PM, hello spiral said:

On 6/10/2022 at 12:16 AM, mcbpete said:

From memory it was using an Ableton/Max for Live combo as his workflow .....

yes, ...and, if I unsterstood correctly, also because for the remix they needed something that have a timeline behaviour, because their system don't.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:40 PM, Boxus said:

SIGN is such a water album. 100% ocean vibes. Sun shimmering on the surface, waves breaking against the rocks, bioluminescent deep sea creatures.

I feel like Quaristice is like this too... although that has more of a frozen-ocean-beneath-the-moon-Europa vibe.

• Like 4

On 7/4/2022 at 4:17 PM, gnarlybog said:

I feel like Quaristice is like this too... although that has more of a frozen-ocean-beneath-the-moon-Europa vibe.

si00 feels like a "water level" in a classic video game to me. In fact, compare this clip of Donkey Kong Country:

with the Ae song in question:

• Like 6
  • Big Brain 1

• 3 months later...

Our babies just entered the terrible 2s. No fanfare from watmm this time around. Anybody still listening to these?

Who caned them when they were new and have moved on?

Who has been avoiding them almost entirely as per the autechre effect? (me)

I've been listening to NTS a lot. Lol

Gonna give these a few good solid listens this week.

?

• Like 1

Still growing on me. Gave sign a full listen through the other day and it's better than ever, track 1 is still my favourite by a decent margin. Although I feel like it's something I can only put on when I have the time to give it my full attention so that's limiting my number of listens.

What's this autechre effect you are talking about?

• Like 1