Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

On 5/8/2021 at 5:31 AM, Boxus said:

th red a continues to be more and more of a standout for me, and I realized part of what makes it feel special is that they so rarely do tracks in 3 or 6 time sigs (the only other one I could think of offhand is the second half of Cipater). It works so well here and it gives the track a weird sort of sea shanty vibe which fits really well with the other aquatic sounding stuff on SIGN (si00, r cazt, etc.. I get lots of oceanic images in my head with this album)

"sea shanty" aspect is interesting. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 10:10 PM, ignatius said:

though... 

Dude this is amazing. I've been listening to a lot of Jazz the past two months and decided to revist this thread today and find this. So cool. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, very honest said:

first image of a black hole

blackhole.png?itok=THJrwcHP

at the center of nearby galaxy m87, the black hole is 6 billion times the mass of the sun

this must be a sign

• Farnsworth 1

6 hours ago, eclipsis said:

this must be a sign

haha

the image predates ae's sign. i imagine the TDR/Warp/ae email thread went like:

tdr: so do you have any art direction for the cover?

ae: [the black hole image]

• 2 weeks later...

th red a, taped from vinyl to chrome cassette, loud as possible on a walkman ♥️♥️   ♥️♥️♥️   ♥️

• Big Brain 1

Gave this album a spin after taking a couple months off and my god it sounds better than ever. Can't wait to listen again this fall when the weather helps take me back to it's release. 

I really think this is my favorite overall Autechre album. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

this really is a strange album. even after many months spinning it pretty regularly, it feels pretty odd in a lot of ways. enjoyable tho.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, auxien said:

this really is a strange album. even after many months spinning it pretty regularly, it feels pretty odd in a lot of ways. enjoyable tho.

it surprises me how close it is to Oversteps - it's much more accomplished, of course, but IMO it confirms one of my long-held theories that Ae albums go through cycles of four:

Incunabula, LP5, Quaristice, NTS 01-04: radically different sound design, commissioned/curated by other parties and not necessarily chosen by Ae, very experimental ideas with a long runtime, experimenting with new release media.

Amber, Confield, Oversteps, SIGN:

much more melodic, softer and smoother sound design with a rich palette of frequencies. more accessible and more "human", though some obligatory tracks will push these boundaries in abstract ways.

Tri Repetae, Draft 7.30, Exai:

many varied ideas and experiments, rigorously worked out and stripped down for the sake of presentation, resulting in tracks that can be long and monotonous, while individually very creative and unique.

Chiastic Slide, Untilted, elseq 1-5:

these albums benefit the most from the creative experiences of past projects. before re-inventing their sound again, Ae present us with collosal, long-winded tracks, with the approach of cramming in as many exotic ideas as possible and making them fit together. here a single track can do what three or four tracks would do on a conventional album, in terms of flow and ascending/resting. i'm also tempted to put Lego Feet in this category.

• Confused 1

Altho SIGN is very close to Oversteps I think SIGN is far better!

It has more depth, here you can clearly hear how they have evolved from that time. I'm so curious how their live-sets sound now!
I guess the guys just waiting so stoked to tour around Europe again. 

• Like 5

sign plus is evolving into the "getting it" phase. Now that my attention is no longer captured by prominent things, truly subtle details take on a decisive role, and consequently change the perception of what I was used to. By letting things flow without intending to focus, while doing other things, I find myself actually doing nothing and being much more focused than when I was purposefully focused. And, as usual, I wonder how I hadn't noticed the whole mass from the beginning. Yes, I wonder, but it is also true that, this time, they have been seriously careful to hide some things. Submerged suggestions.
And so, you have done it again.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jaderpansen said:

plus... still dunno. first 4 tracks all as long as ecol would have made for an awesome EP, but as an album...

I think Dr Dre definitely has potential for a much longer track. I could go either way on 7FM ic - it doesn't feel too short but I like it enough that I'd probably enjoy a longer version. But marhide aka "the one with the cowbell" feels the right length for its various elements to play out imo lol