Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

Listening to this now for the first time since April.

M4 Lema is such an incredible opening track. The amount of both texture and detail is truly staggering. As is often the case with some of Autechre's most ornate works, it calls to mind a marble sculpture of the renaissance like Giuseppe Sanmartino's 1753 Cristo Velato (The Veiled Christ). It is also one of their longest first tracks at 8:49; feed1 is 11:37, t1a1 is 18:39, and of their releases before the days of selling FLAC/WAVs online, only Cipater is longer by a mere 8 seconds at 8:57.

• Like 7

Fall is back and so is SIGN! Gimme dat orange 🍁🍂🎃

Subjective Fall associations were strong with this one, lots of early listening done on very rainy days/nights or out in the colourful outdoors. Mostly left the album alone since then, needed to give it time, typical Ae digestion patterns. Ready to chew it some more.

Had quite a nice time listening to si00 the other night in a rainstorm sitting down by the ocean on a little dock/lookout type thing, tiny lights on the horizon flickering in the wind and rain. 

• Like 7

sch.mefd 2 feels like a continuation of certain aspects of both M4 Lema and F7 in some sense, though less astonishing than either. au14 feels like Sean and Rob giving the fans "what they think we want", e.g. some nice beatfuckery with some nice stuff in the background.
th red a feels like a slowly dying creature gasping its last breaths as it writhes in agony and it seems like it would have been a natural choice for an album closer, not that an album four seconds short of 52 minutes would feel long enough from Sean & Rob. psin AM makes an excellent counterpart to M62 from Move of Ten, another jammy jam laid over/under a four-on-the-floor beat, though a more sedate one. si00 is really something special the likes of which we haven't heard from the brothers since Quaristice at the most recent or maybe even since Confield.

n Cur is gorgeous, a worthy bonus track to be sure, though one that takes its sweet time fading out. r cazt is gorgeous but goes on a bit longer than it needs to and feels like an alternate take of krYlon or Yuop from Oversteps, which is no bad thing, but it does somewhat cover much of the same ground. Similarly F7, esc desc, Metaz form8, gr4, th red a, & r cazt, which together make up just over half (or 54.545454545454545454...%) of the album or 34 minutes, all feel like a revisiting of the sonic realms which Oversteps and Move of Ten first laid out for us 10 years prior. This is not a bad thing at all and is indeed a very welcome thing if we consider NTS Sessions, elseq 1-5, Exai, and L-event to all be deeper dives into Quaristice's terrain or at least those first two a continuation of the latter two. Second, they feel very much like what the beatless ambient album some were hoping for around the time that Oversteps was first teased.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 12:30 PM, splesh said:

psin AM makes an excellent counterpart to M62 from Move of Ten, another jammy jam laid over/under a four-on-the-floor beat, though a more sedate one.

I like this comparison, love both of these tracks! I always enjoy when they do something really stripped down and embrace the subtlety. I was listening to MoT the other morning and was reminded how much I love nearly every second of it.

• Like 2

Sign turns 1 tomorrow. Listening on my drive to work on rainy and cold fall day. Despite how lush the album is, it’s a fall album through and through. Very fond memories of this time last year. 

I’ll be mainlining this all weekend.

Edited by Friendly Stranger
  • Like 11

looked at a couple reviews of SIGN again and this one kinda nailed this bit imo:

Only time will tell if ‘SIGN’ is as lauded as ‘Incunabula’, ‘Tri Repeate’ or ‘Confield’, but after these initial dalliances with it I have to admit that it is their most immediate and enjoyable album to date. The music has a distant, crushing vibe to it, that is totally captivating, but the music isn’t claustrophobic. It gives itself, and the listen, room to breathe and move. In the past their album tended to come at you, or to overwhelm before you had a chance to make your mind up about them. Here, Brown and Booth allow you to settle into the tracks before they start twisting the screw. And it works.

https://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/autechre-sign

(except for the bit about Incunabula being lauded lol i mean i maybe at the time it came out?)

edit: also weird grammatical errors made it to publishing and haven't been corrected obv. looks almost as bad as one of my posts.

Edited by auxien
  • Like 3

On 10/15/2021 at 2:11 PM, Friendly Stranger said:

Despite how lush the album is, it’s a fall album through and through.

Aye, I'll be heading out for some nice autumnal walks with SIGN as the soundtrack. si00 has been doing it for me this weekend.

God damn, I bloody love Ae. Despite all the new music I get, and all the great stuff I have in my collection, I always return to Ae.

SIGN is awesome. 

LargeValidHapuka-size_restricted.gif.81318d3ededb13db294d5102581c1842.gif

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Boxus said:

sch.mefd 2  is so sick

:cisfor:

Currently my fav of the album, one of those ae tracks that's nearly impenetrable at first, but once you get inside it just keeps giving and giving 

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 1