IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

7 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

but what do you think this means though? why would it say anything other than booth/brown? not meaning to be biting, genuinely curious

edit: oh wait i read ur comment wtong i thought u were arguing *for* the solo album mb

Yepp, that's what I meant. That it's probably no solo album.

Some guys here thought it could be.

Edited by Chabraendeky

53 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

in all honesty I hope that the solo album never happens: it wouldn't be autechre

but you’d never know.

Edited by jules

13 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

If it was a Booth or Brown solo album then it would not be called Autechre.

For example, not Autechre:

R-2161929-1267820837.jpeg.jpg

They have done solo tracks on albums before. Just sayin.

• Like 1

Yeah, in the mixlr chat Sean mentioned that only about 1 in 3 tracks they do together, and it's been like that for a long time. So most tracks you would call 'solo tracks'. At the same time, they're both working on the system, they're playing around with each other's patches and they're imitating each other in creating patches. So I guess it's always going to be messy and it's  going to be autechre.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, eye said:

Yeah, in the mixlr chat Sean mentioned that only about 1 in 3 tracks they do together, and it's been like that for a long time. So most tracks you would call 'solo tracks'. At the same time, they're both working on the system, they're playing around with each other's patches and they're imitating each other in creating patches. So I guess it's always going to be messy and it's  going to be autechre.

this ^^
even if often the songs are of one or the other, are the result of a common work that is the basis of the idea, both for the technical line and for the aesthetics they decide to follow: I think they have a fairly precise notion of what is collected under the name autechre (not surprisingly, the ideas that do not fully represent this form are diverted to Gescom). At this point, a solo album would consist in a systematic division of the pieces composed by R or S, giving up those composed together: an option like this, even if possible, I think makes little sense, and ultimately the only difference from the standard, would be to lose the closest collaborations: not a great advantage

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

42 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

If it was a Booth or Brown solo album then it would not be called Autechre.

For example, not Autechre:

R-2161929-1267820837.jpeg.jpg

If I remember correctly, Sean was upset with them for crediting him directly, as he wanted to be credited as Autechre. Don't ask me for a source for that though, it's just memory.

3 minutes ago, thehauntingsoul said:

If I remember correctly, Sean was upset with them for crediting him directly, as he wanted to be credited as Autechre. Don't ask me for a source for that though, it's just memory.

Yeah, i recall the same kind of sentiment. Tho, it was more like Kouhei didn't ask how to credit him at all and Saddam even had some light trouble with that, but Autechre brand belongs to Warp and he couldn't use it as well, there's only Gescom.

59 minutes ago, eye said:

Right.  And even if, technically, only one has a hand in the creation of a particular track, the other still is giving approval of that track's inclusion on the album.  If one of the two came into the studio with a 20 minute recording of a Chris Squire-ish base solo, I'm guessing it would be suggested that that track might be better on the next Keith Rowe/Mike Patton and guests collab.

1 hour ago, Soloman Tump said:

Oh in that case, Krylon definitely sounds like a Raeb solo track

I remember somewhere saying Spaces How V was all Rob? So yea, I’ll take an hour of that. 

Didn’t they say that even if one of them constructs something, there are elements and behaviors in the programs that the other potentially left their dna so to speak in, so it’s always a collab in a way? I’m not explaining this right. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Upset man said:

Didn’t they say that even if one of them constructs something, there are elements and behaviors in the programs that the other potentially left their dna so to speak in, so it’s always a collab in a way? I’m not explaining this right. 

Also if I would’ve caught up more, it was explained way better up there. Tee hee. 

• Like 1

I dug up the quote:

How about Mark Fell's Composing With Process PodCast?

in the upcoming second part of the first episode they will play a track by Sean Booth called Horizon

31:44 Sean Booth 'Horizon', 2004 (20 min)
'Horizon' is a generative piece composed in the BBC BASIC programming language. It was composed for the rand()% generative internet radio station in 2004 but was never broadcast. The aim of the piece was to use as little code as possible and be interesting enough to hold the attention.

Where is it?

oh yeah
basically we're exclusive to warp, but we can do stuff with mates as gescom (but we can't do solo stuff or use any other names, particularly our own names)
mark just didn't know so he put my name, and we couldn't put it out then even if he changed the name.. it was my fault for not saying
happened w/kouhei as well but that was already produced when i found out (oops)

from the AAA spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XAizLmKun4yF6oBVUhIrewYN-ZiY_9ORckmT-hF93Ho/edit#gid=0

So basically, they can do solo stuff but only if they do it under Warp? I guess that's what I'm understanding.

Edited by thehauntingsoul

2 hours ago, Draft78 said:

this ^^
even if often the songs are of one or the other, are the result of a common work that is the basis of the idea, both for the technical line and for the aesthetics they decide to follow: I think they have a fairly precise notion of what is collected under the name autechre (not surprisingly, the ideas that do not fully represent this form are diverted to Gescom). At this point, a solo album would consist in a systematic division of the pieces composed by R or S, giving up those composed together: an option like this, even if possible, I think makes little sense, and ultimately the only difference from the standard, would be to lose the closest collaborations: not a great advantage

... it seems to me that the division into two solo albums, is more than anything else an exercise for the benefit of the ego, something that I think they do not feel the need (especially after 33 years of activity)

Edited by Draft78
  • Like 3