Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

alco review by alco:   this is the new "autechre" album by them, the brothers. it's called "sign" which is short for "signs." i believe this is an m night shaymalan (or whatever) reference a

the autechre brothers. "the signs" in 2020. october. i forget the date. i'm meeting up with them, the "boys" of autechre. sean, the one who thinks its sick to make beats super wacky is smoking a cigar

Posted Images

Is there a track title off sign that’s somewhat amenable to getting the “flep” treatment? 🤔

I have faith in you noble memers 

edit: unrelated but I think we might be going into this release blind, no teasers or snippets. Blind faith.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1

the autechre brothers. "the signs" in 2020. october. i forget the date. i'm meeting up with them, the "boys" of autechre. sean, the one who thinks its sick to make beats super wacky is smoking a cigarette. a "joint." i don't know what he's thinking. he's vaping actually. robert, the shy one who does lush pads on the nord modular. he's just sitting there. we're watching youtube. sam keeps checking out videos like "top FIVE tips for using a PATCH BAY" and rob keeps going "lol" at this. i ask them my interview questions:

- what was it like to make this album? 

SAM: we were just messing about really.

ROBER: yeah, it's like a spaceship really. how like, a spaceship from an alien can land so elegantly.

SAM: yeah there's a mathematical formula which describes this.

- how does this record ("SIGNS") compare to other the autechres records?

SAM: we just mess about really. it's like any other record. although on this one we are using the software Maximillian.

ROBIN: this allows us to, instead of saying buying a synth, we can like, spend fifteen years designing it on our laptops.

SAM: yeah we finally got one that has two synth fart oscillators which cross modulate and create mental farts.

RON: yeah it's like 3D really. like aliens farting in 3D. proper liquid

- does this record fit into any genre?

SAN: genres are made up by the media who have no idea what they're talking about.

ROGER: yeah it's like, does a cube have a genre?

SAS: exactly! we're just making cubes really, and other geometric figurines. you can't really say these are idm can you?

- what's does idm mean to you?

SAN: i guess it's just music you cane with your mates where it sounds like you're listening to it from two rooms away even though you're using headphones.

ROD: yeah it's like if aliens were making techno in space and you could hear it but only accidentally through some unpredictable patch in Max/MSRP $74.

- if you could only have one piece of kit on a desert island what would it be?

SAFRIEL: digital performer 4 and my bmx bike.

ROCK: a desert island would be a well lush landing pad for an alien

- what inspires you?

SOHN: i'm in gescom

ROM: the architecture of guido sadalucci. it's like organic but in an alien way. like if an alien made those gestures.

SIT: yeah it's like you're walking downtown with your mom really.

ROSS: yeah it's well like that.

SOLID: yeah and she's like "SAMMY WOTS THAT ONE?" and she's pointing to the sadalucci and you're just smiling knowingly because she's scared and you're like "nah mum, don't even worry about it i know it looks alien but it's feckin lush mate." 

REGAL: yeah and she's still scare but she's proud of you that you can understand this kind of thing, that you can like look at this totally alien thing and see beauty in it. architecture is like the lush pads of objects. 

SUB: nah mate, it's like the beat fuckery.

- what's next for your band, the brothers "AE?"

SANJAY: i've been working on MAXFACTOR patches for 40 years and soon i'll be able to make the beats go absolutely insanely fast

ROPER: i'm designing a pad so lush it's become one of my children and i'm raising it carefully and with compassion.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 12
  • Burger 2
  • Farnsworth 2

4eg3ho.jpg

Boothst Waene tellin it like it was back in dem days of PyRo RadiiO

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1

People should stop whining about the meme culture. I agree, it is totally stupid.
But there is so much more to this group. Something endlessly creative. Intellectually unmatched.

We have SaenPls.
And we have the lol quotes of death. Sometimes even spiced with lels.
Plus the weirdos who still think RDJ made good music post Windowlicker.

So pls appreciate what you've got. Not the time for Teartears.

lol.

Edited by Guest
4 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

- what was it like to make this album? 

SAM: we were just messing about really.

ROBER: yeah, it's like a spaceship really. how like, a spaceship from an alien can land so elegantly.

haha why is this so accurate

Im going into this blind, even if there are leaks / teasers.

We should all do youtube react videos for our first play through.  Such lush.

12 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

It’s a bit ironic using autechre as an example for this in a way, given that a ton of their live shows are done in pitch black no? 

A live show is a bit different to an album, though. It's a one-time experience and they don't think people watching them adds to it. If they were the sort to put their faces on the album covers then maybe it'd be a bit weirder.

Basically, I doubt they'd be paying for tDR to design album covers unless they felt it benefited the music in some way.

12 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

It’s a bit ironic using autechre as an example for this in a way, given that a ton of their live shows are done in pitch black no? 

A live show is a bit different to an album, though. It's a one-time experience and they don't think people watching them adds to it. If they were the sort to put their faces on the album covers then maybe it'd be a bit weirder.

Basically, I doubt they'd be paying for tDR to design album covers unless they felt it benefited the music in some way.

Edited by purlieu
  • Like 1