Jump to content

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

alco review by alco:   this is the new "autechre" album by them, the brothers. it's called "sign" which is short for "signs." i believe this is an m night shaymalan (or whatever) reference a

the autechre brothers. "the signs" in 2020. october. i forget the date. i'm meeting up with them, the "boys" of autechre. sean, the one who thinks its sick to make beats super wacky is smoking a cigar

Posted Images

if the designer has made it through these 40 pages, you did a great job. you may have heard of watmm's unusual initiation rituals for new objects of worship. we ceremoniously cover them with a solid layer of emotional excrement, until our reservoirs of loathing are adequately discharged. this is how we make room for new things.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 8
  • Farnsworth 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dingformung said:

202875.thumb.jpg.c1ed7ebdd02436f91ec8e2dd2a5deb0f.jpg

You didn't really submit that as your 8th grade entry?  "I"ncomplete, try again.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.png

 

I wanted to make the worst one possible so people would either stop or try harder

Edited by demo
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question. I don't think it's really been asked or answered here. But with all this dislike for the new cover (and I get that it's not mind-blowing or very unique but I also don't have much against it), is there an Autechre LP or EP cover that you think is worse than the one for SIGN? I've never taken issue with the simple covers for Tri repetae or LP5, for example, but I understand that the absence of a shape can be less offensive than the presence of a shape you dislike. Tri repetae was a nice color and LP5 had a cool solid gray CD case with the Autechre text debossed, so that was unique. But what about elsq? Solid black circles and squares on a solid white background, arranged differently for the different volumes. What about Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae? A large gray square centered on solid black. Again, it comes back to "nothing" or something super basic being less offensive than something you actively dislike. But I'm curious...is there anything worse in their catalog?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I have a question. I don't think it's really been asked or answered here. But with all this dislike for the new cover (and I get that it's not mind-blowing or very unique but I also don't have much against it), is there an Autechre LP or EP cover that you think is worse than the one for SIGN? I've never taken issue with the simple covers for Tri repetae or LP5, for example, but I understand that the absence of a shape can be less offensive than the presence of a shape you dislike. Tri repetae was a nice color and LP5 had a cool solid gray CD case with the Autechre text debossed, so that was unique. But what about elsq? Solid black circles and squares on a solid white background, arranged differently for the different volumes. What about Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae? A large gray square centered on solid black. Again, it comes back to "nothing" or something super basic being less offensive than something you actively dislike. But I'm curious...is there anything worse in their catalog?

Dislike? What dislike?! I don't see anyone disliking the new cover.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1020455423_signios.jpg.380dac52c268980fe3a573b5a3d0a10c.jpg

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the cover, but I'll answer sidewinder's question anyway. The Incunabula cover sucks.

Edited by Blir
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Blir said:

I love the cover, but I'll answer sidewinder's question anyway. The Incunabula cover sucks.

Does it suck now because it's dated, or did it suck in 1993? (I personally like it)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol @ this thread

The boys need to release a preview track soon or this thread might he beyond saving

If it isn't alreay

Edited by thumbass
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

Does it suck now because it's dated, or did it suck in 1993? (I personally like it)

I think the album art for Incunabula has aged better than the music.....

(ducking for cover.....)

 

Seriously, I don't >hate< Incunabula but it has become my least favorite AE album, in no small part because it hasn't aged as well as the rest.  Amber sounds a much more mature effort to my ears.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Blir said:

I love the cover, but I'll answer sidewinder's question anyway. The Incunabula cover sucks.

ye, pretty messy innit.

it's hard for me to rate an artwork without knowing the corresponding music, as it should somewhat carry over the latter's vibe, shouldn't it? honestly in that regard i think draft (front) is pretty off, despite being fancy in its own right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tailings said:

Seriously, I don't >hate< Incunabula but it has become my least favorite AE album, in no small part because it hasn't aged as well as the rest.  Amber sounds a much more mature effort to my ears.

i feel like as far as the mainline albums go, Incunabula and Amber are the only ones that sound in any way dated. Amber sounds like the early 90s, but starting with Tri Repetae it just sounds like Autechre to me

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mushroom said:

i feel like as far as the mainline albums go, Incunabula and Amber are the only ones that sound in any way dated. Amber sounds like the early 90s, but starting with Tri Repetae it just sounds like Autechre to me

I use to work at a Restaurant circa 2018. I would often play incunabula, when ever I did customers would complement the music, and ask who it was. This did not happen with anything else.

Edit, The place catered manly to students , backpackers around 18-40years of age. None of them knew Autechre, but all were affected.  .

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ArrraR said:

I use to work at a Restaurant. I would often play incunabula, when ever I did customers would complement the music, and ask who it was. This did not happen with anything else.

lol yeah it's practically pop music. which i think is why i prefer it over amber so much, cuz it's a little cheesy but at least it's catchy and accessible, and sometimes really beautiful (444). Amber is just kind of uninteresting imo...

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, thumbass said:

Lol @ this thread

The boys need to release a preview track soon or this thread might he beyond saving

If it isn't alreay

This always happens with the new release :wink: 

the bois are hyped

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pop music >now<, but it certainly wouldn't have pleased many restaurant patrons in 1993.  

 

Some tracks have certainly held up better than others.  Eggshell is still wonderful even if simplistic by modern AE standards.  Autriche, on the other hand, sounds like something off a cheesy comp.  And windwind sounds downright newage-y.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...