IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

13 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

Incunabula = good

if Amber = your favourite, you are probably also a Coldplay fan (fuck you)

I know this is a joke but I srsly think the diff between Incunabula and Amber is that Incunabula dated pleasantly and I love its sound design and vibe while Amber to me sounds cheesy/ugly dated and I almost never listen to it. But I've tried many, many times. (Piezo's dope tho but that's it.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As we ponder the superbness/lameness of AE cover art, it will be interesting to see what the whole package for SIGN looks like.  Tri Repetae's diarrhea brown front cover is underwhelming in the extreme, but the interior images are fantastic, some of the best AE art to date, IMO.  Absolutely love that glitched out rotary engine. 

Edited by tailings
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, demo said:

Nawww Oversteps cover is beautiful, reflects the sounds of the album prefectly

I totally disagree. Oversteps has a very angular, almost crystalline sound. I can maybe see The first two tracks in the artwork, but the rest of the record feels like it should be visually depicted by kaleidoscopic (and perhaps indeed microscopic) studies of ice. I remember Sean's joking in AAA about Oversteps being possibly a warmer-weather album (and then taking it back), and I think it sounds totally windswept and wintry apart from Treale and, maybe, pt2ph8 (which, to be fair, stills sounds wintry but in a serene vista sort of way).

• Like 1

tDR is well into beans lately, it seems from digesting their discogs page. Notice how only the top left is an ideal circle and that series goes back to 2015 (the collage is an online template i used for additional taste)

spacer.png

Edited by Amen Lare

3 hours ago, demo said:

Nawww Oversteps cover is beautiful, reflects the sounds of the album prefectly

As a cohesive package the art is fantastic. There's a different one for each track, the record sleeves are beautiful, the typeface and format utilized is unique. Everything about the art captures the space the album encompasses.

• Like 1

so...  the beauty of Ae graphics lies essentially in the idea and the ability to synthesize that captures in an elementary sign that extremely vast set of characters found in sound. For example, exai's graphics are not "beautiful" in themselves (a seemingly occasional set of dark squares and rectangles on a little more clear background), but it's fascinating, it has a cryptic feel, and one lets oneself be seduced by the suspicion that there both a deeper reference behind (which eventually resulted in the game of life hypothesis, which is fairly confirmed since Sean streamed his voice the day he died).
Elseq is interesting because it combines circles and squares, but arranged in such an irregular way that it gives a sense of imbalance, although the circle and square are the regular geometric figures par excellence.
I like the graphic for Sign, it has a breaking role with the line of recent years, introducing warm colors and harmonious shapes (yes, like all, I hope there is a relationship with the new sound route), but maintaining that essentiality that give back something enigmatic ( however, I must say that the original shape has given its best in the screen prints for Onesix: there is something Kubrickian in that image). On the contrary, I find the incunabula cover totally wrong, those hasty glitches just to associate themselves with a consolidated and generic aesthetic. The same is true of Anvil Vapre. Confield seems to me to lack any personality, my eye wouldn't be caught if I didn't know that it covers music written to evoke Pazuzu.
I must confess that even draft art leaves me very perplexed: the black streaks that create three-dimensional fantasies and the digital fades remind me demos for graphics softwares of 2000.
On the other hand, I like Untilted, the combination of colors, the (almost) loss of three-dimensionality of geometries for a completely abstract aesthetic, and in general the shapes..  seems to me that they center the mood of untilted. For now, however, my favorite image is Oversteps. Here too there is a break with the past: an expressly manual gesture that tries to get closer to the perfection of the circle. In its elementary nature it strikes me, i just surprised myself interested in something as common as a circle,  like if it hide something archetypal (for the same reason I find Richard Serra's works attractive :catbed:).

in any case I find it impossible to separate those graphics from the music they echo: it is through cognition that they represent that specific music, which are enriched with charm: once again, it is a mental fact, not of universal immediacy.

Edited by Draft78
  • Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, ArrraR said:

just release it.........................

Aye.

Music is made. 

Preorders are in. 

Why delay the release, especially when there's no hype-train, teasers, etc. ? 

=/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Aye.

Music is made. 

Preorders are in. 

Why delay the release, especially when there's no hype-train, teasers, etc. ? 

=/

were supposed to get blue-ears then gonk all over it.  its a strategy the twins told me about

8 hours ago, Adamovich said:

I like the fact that the Draftr564746765 tl;dr post was completely ignored while the onion ring SIGN pic was awarded with some 6 likes.

I was prepared for the knockout: in writing the encyclical I had put a mattress on the ground to cushion the fall :nelson:

13 hours ago, tailings said:

Just, wow.....

There are no words.

Don't lose any sleep over it; it's not an axiom, just a personal answer to a personal question. I dunno. I just find the combination of shape and color a bit nauseating, plus it looks so ancient while the musics are still fresh. And I don't mean 1990s old, I mean 1930s to 1940s old, the whole thing looks like a still from a fucking Oskar Fischinger video. No disrespect for him either, but I think it confuses me because I don't know if it's intentionally retro or if there's some story behind it that I'm unaware if or whatever the fuck is going on there.

The font, the slightly pretentious all-lower-case phrase "mechanically reclaimed" and the extremely enerving spacing between those slashes don't help either btw.

Everything else in their catalogue ranges from kinda alrightish (Amber, Quaristice) to hella awesome (Confield, Draft 7.30) afaic.

This was my sophisticated deep reading of the cover image of Sicklesweat by the influential electronic pop group Awrtekker. If you liked it, please support me on Patreon.