IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

On 9/18/2020 at 2:30 PM, Adamovich said:

What was your previous nickname? I can't recognise you, knew a few Norwegians here..

Would've been great if the previous nickname were Loud Cunt.  Transition from Loud Cunt to Quiet Penis would have been A+.  I think it was Gocab tho tbqh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

what if  I  told you

• Haha 2
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Will probably end up buying a cd because new Autechre album, but Werp, at least put up previews. It’s 2020. The people who are gonna buy this are going to buy it. And the people who aren’t wont be persuaded by an announcement followed by radio silence until release, what is this a Boards of Canada record? Although I must admit this feels very un-autechreish which is kind of exciting.

10 minutes ago, dankphaser said:

Will probably end up buying a cd because new Autechre album, but Werp, at least put up previews. It’s 2020. The people who are gonna buy this are going to buy it. And the people who aren’t wont be persuaded by an announcement followed by radio silence until release, what is this a Boards of Canada record? Although I must admit this feels very un-autechreish which is kind of exciting.

This is also a justification for not releasing previews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

since the initial announcement, I've been binge listening to an AE playlist that's got everything they've released in the past decade (17hrs long, and that's just the studio material). the amount of music that we've been graced with by the lads in recent years is absoluetely nuts + it's all quality stuff as well, they're not half-assing stuff just to get another release out. truly remarkable.

listening to this playlist has also revealed to me (again) how all of their 2010s material shares these inter-related musical ideas (especially from Exai onwards), which makes me really excited to hear what they'll do with SIGN - will it be a further exploration of their established sound palette, or (probs even more exciting) a complete left-turn à la Quaristice or Oversteps?

in any case, oct 16 can't come soon enough!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

This is also a justification for not releasing previews.

I mean I suppose, although I could argue that previews being released would generate people talking about the music and possibly direct attention to it that may not have been there just based on a release date. Although I guess that will happen eventually, but if they are after preorders, might help. 

1 hour ago, dankphaser said:

...Ae have reached a status that does not need prew, an announcement seems to be enough, a little to place orders, a little to drag us into a lusty spiral of dementia for 2 months

:cisfor:

Edited by Draft78

Exactly. If you're a fan you've already preordered this. I don't think they really have 'swing voters' anymore. 

Also, preview tracks ruin albums for me. You've always got that one track that has associations attached to it.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

...Ae have reached a status that does not need prew, an announcement seems to be enough, a little to place orders, a little to drag us into a lusty spiral of dementia for 2 months

:cisfor:

I agree, I was more talking about Warp, who are a record label trying to make more money than they made off of Autechres previous release, as is business as usual. Not knocking them, just how things work. Especially after NTS, which what I can tell was probably a success, but you have to remember they probably shelled out a lot of cost on their end to print up 8 LP 4 CD box sets, not to mention refunds and exchanges for quality control issues.

2 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

Exactly. If you're a fan you've already preordered this. I don't think they really have 'swing voters' anymore. 

Also, preview tracks ruin albums for me. You've always got that one track that has associations attached to it.

From the fan perspective, sure, but Warps job is to find swing voters. 

1 minute ago, dankphaser said:
4 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

From the fan perspective, sure, but Warps job is to find swing voters. 

ain't nothing wrong with a blimp

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

Agreed, although a single with associated video is fine (aka minipops)

Although of course ae have never followed the traditional singles from album route. 

Gantz Graf was their only "single" release I think? Or is it an ep

45 minutes ago, dankphaser said:

From the fan perspective, sure, but Watmm's job is to put off swing voters. 

Sure 

51 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

those associations make them special, whats wrong with that

55 minutes ago, dankphaser said:

I agree, I was more talking about Warp, who are a record label trying to make more money than they made off of Autechres previous release, as is business as usual. Not knocking them, just how things work. Especially after NTS, which what I can tell was probably a success, but you have to remember they probably shelled out a lot of cost on their end to print up 8 LP 4 CD box sets, not to mention refunds and exchanges for quality control issues.

I too was trying to understand the warp moves. Generally before a release there is an advertising phase, but with Ae this happens less and less, although they are still the most influential name in the catalog. In the case of soundboards practically nothing has been done. The only answer I give is that, aware of the target that will be interested in the release, they realized that they can afford a minimal line, as cryptic as ae themselves. It is probably music that, although it has created a significant space, is aimed at a niche that does not need an advertising campaign, especially now that a lot of expectation has been created thanks to revamped system, with a possible stylistic change. After all, a prewiev finds reason in its being representative of an album, and in the case of pop it's for sure, but with autechre it could only be misleading, since usually each piece is a world in itself, and at the same time is something that needs to be assimilated slowly: they are certainly not known for immediacy (and in the perspective of a promotion, immediacy is essential), so I believe that leaving the total mystery on the impending album is perhaps more strategic than disclosing a single passage. How else can we explain all the singularities that happen only with them?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

I too was trying to understand the warp moves. Generally before a release there is an advertising phase, but with Ae this happens less and less, although they are still the most influential name in the catalog. In the case of soundboards practically nothing has been done. The only answer I give is that, aware of the target that will be interested in the release, they realized that they can afford a minimal line, as cryptic as ae themselves. It is probably music that, although it has created a significant space, is aimed at a niche that does not need an advertising campaign, especially now that a lot of expectation has been created thanks to revamped system, with a possible stylistic change. After all, a prewiev finds reason in its being representative of an album, and in the case of pop it's for sure, but with autechre it could only be misleading, since usually each piece is a world in itself, and at the same time is something that needs to be assimilated slowly: they are certainly not known for immediacy (and in the perspective of a promotion, immediacy is essential), so I believe that leaving the total mystery on the impending album is perhaps more strategic than disclosing a single passage. How else can we explain all the singularities that happen only with them?

i guessed ae gets a lot of control and they just keep it simple. which is cool and speaks to the artistic integrity or whatever

4 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

Instead I find it likely that at some point they give us a gift, freeing the download of the entire album a few days before

:emb:

ya i would guess it drops ahead of oct 16. it's usually when the fanbase is gnawing at the substrat.

Warp will drop a track and an interview or a blimp, and AE might even do some mixes, starting the next week or two. maybe even tomorrow (Monday) but i'd guess probably two weeks-ish.

Warp are predictable for the most part. chill out and just meme

24 minutes ago, very honest said:

i guessed ae gets a lot of control and they just keep it simple. which is cool and speaks to the artistic integrity or whatever

true, this media silence is the "promotional" transposition of who plays in the dark: they have removed any frills intended for visibility

Heaven's sake, it's only 3 1/2 weeks away.  Go do a 1000 piece puzzle of the Swiss Alps or something.  In the grand scheme of things, 3 1/2 weeks is nothing and the album will be here before you know it.  ?

1 hour ago, Soloman Tump said:

Gantz Graf was their only "single" release I think? Or is it an ep

I'd call GG a mini-ep.  Basscadet was their only proper 'single'.

• Like 3