IGNORED

The Shaggs?

marf

Thee conceptual beginning of the Shaggs came from Austin Wiggin's mother who, when her son was young, had predicted during a palmreading that he would marry a strawberry blonde woman, that he would have two daughters after she had died, and that his daughters would form a popular music group. The first two predictions proved accurate, so Austin set about making the third come true as well.[8] Austin withdrew his daughters from school, bought them instruments, and arranged for them to receive music and vocal lessons. The Wiggin sisters themselves never planned to become a music group, but as Dot later said, "[Austin] was something of a disciplinarian. He was stubborn and he could be temperamental. He directed. We obeyed. Or did our best."[9] Austin named the Shaggs after the popular shag hairstyle and as a reference to shaggy dogs.[9] In 1968, Austin arranged for the girls to play a regular Saturday night gig at the Fremont, New Hampshire, Town Hall.

I usually avoid all things Frank Zappa, which is why I I don't know about this amazing band. Im Gobsmacked. The story. OMG

I should have known about this

I like Dr Demento but didn't catch his show 

This is for Posterity . You don't have to post anything. Just let google do its thing

i first discovered this record in san francisco. it was being advertised as the sort of record every vinyl collector wants to find but won't believe exists. 

they recently had a single and new vinyl released. as much as i "like" them, i find it more of an effort to listen to their LPs. 

Shaggs Own Thing is underrated. This is some David Lynch stuff:

The owner of the shop where I used to work had 5 sealed copies of Philosophy Of the World back in the 80s but he sold them for something like $300 each and still regretted it when I knew him 20-something years later.

The Reason The Shaggs are so good is they were probably recporded in a really good studio. With all the best equipment at the time. The Father probably made sure of that!

Archived