IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never

2 hours ago, oldenjon said:

One thing is that they used vocoders everywhere, one of the only technologies for vocal manipulation back then. Auto-tune, whether you like it or not, excels at making the voice sound artificial and 'robot'-like which is exactly what they were aiming for. Kraftwerk were pioneers in their heyday, but their sound and technique was rather cemented by the 2000s. I don't think anyone would try to characterize that album as being innovative. Does that really need explaining?

Okay, quick question, which do you think sounds more "artificial and 'robot'-like"?

This:

Or this:

(And I'm strictly talking about sound, not looks, okay? :dadjoke:)

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I have a feeling those fine gentlemen from Düsseldorf would agree; but yeah, it's just a hunch ..

Tim Hecker was one of the first artists I checked out when I subscribed to Spotify, I didn’t like anything I heard (I’m not saying he’s no good, just not for me) but I will check out those suggestions mcbpete. Maybe I missed them first time around. And perhaps Radio Amore as suggested by Mr Kicker.

Edited by beerwolf

idk i'm not really a fan of OPN, but this song (Long Road Home, is it?) wasn't bad. i thought it was a nice sorta mesh of some of the styles of his i've heard before, if still hindered by some of his (imo, obv) failings. video was interesting enough too, i'm a sucker (heh) for stop motion weirdness tho. was a lot more interesting than tons of shit some of y'all rave about :nyan:

16 hours ago, Extralife said:

Uhh...no.

Hmmm see I think, regardless of what you think of Lopatin's work (I personally find it hit and miss), I think it would be dishonest to say he isn't extremely influential. He basically invented and inspired vaporwave (eccojams, Replica, R+7), which is a huge movement within electronic music, and I'm sure his Rifts era stuff helped popularise a lot of "synthwave" or whatever it's called. Pretty sure he was a big inspiration or at least involved in the development of PC music/hyperpop. 

I think the last two albums have been far less challenging or inventive but I still enjoy them. I understand most of the comments criticising his restlessness but tbh, I personally like that sort of thing. 

This new material to me just sounds OK. Nothing mind blowing, but still very pleasant. If the whole album is like this, it will be relaxing, warm background music. 

• Like 1

JFC this sounds so laaaaame 

edit : only good stuff was the wether channel then he totally ruined it by adding some shitty vocals in the end of the track...

edit : give me my money back blerp pls.

Edited by d-a-m-o

On first listen yeah it sounds quite weak, especially compared to the Drive Time Suite. I'll try not to overlisten to those track until the full album releases but yeah, color me intrigued :shrug:

7 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

JFC this sounds so laaaaame 

edit : only good stuff was the wether channel the he totally ruined it by adding some shitty vocals in the end of the track...

edit : give me my money back blerp pls.

I think you can cancel your preorder ?

• Like 1

Well this is not as good as the first tracks

Two main stream ass sounding tracks and a good track that gets ruined by absolute shit vocals (weather channel)

I'll let the tracks sink in before passing serious judgement though

Edited by thumbass

50 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I think you can cancel your preorder ?

I just sent them a mail. 

edit : 'The record was executive produced by Abel Tesfaye'

yeah, ok no wonder it sucks so badly...

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Haha 1