IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never

55 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

I just sent them a mail. 

edit : 'The record was executive produced by Abel Tesfaye'

yeah, ok no wonder it sucks so badly...

Don't wanna hate on The Weeknd but yeah it's definitely a bold statement of Dan going full mainstream haha. But who knows maybe it will get thousand of teenagers into OPN and electronic music in general !

45 minutes ago, gnarlybog said:

i like it more than any of the other songs released so far, reminds me of Frank Ocean a bit. first 3 minutes of the song are nice. 

Huh turns out i was listening to this track. Not sure how many have been released so far. Some of the other stuff seems spotty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PttLnfRHeYI

Edited by gnarlybog

2 minutes ago, gnarlybog said:

Huh turns out i was listening to this track. Not sure how many have been released so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PttLnfRHeYI

Five were released today. Not sure I'm bothered if I ever hear them again. Just laughably bad.

Hopefully it will make a lot more sense when the whole thing is released. 'Hopefully' being the keyword.

1 hour ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I'm impressed this hasn't leaked yet.

At this point, I'm not sure I even care.

I know this sounds really kind of negative but so far (of the eight tracks released) I like the last minute or so of 'Long Road Home'.

And that's about it. 

what the fuck kind of drugs are you guys on? Everything that's been teased so far has been fantastic, better than Age Of, possible for this to be my favorite work of his. The noisy interludes are amazingly nostalgic and chewy sound-design, makes me feel like I'm listening to BOC old tunes simultaneously perfectly mixed with modern digital effects, the tracks themselves have some of the best melodies, structure and overall songwriting of anything he's ever done, carrying on from his strong work on Uncut Gems. Every track varies in really creative ways. Yeah it's not harsh digital chumpfuckery of garden of delete or the juno arpeggiator synth-smudges of his early career albums but it's also representative of where he's growing as an artist and I find it extremely impressive and quaffable but also incredibly layered and full of interesting detail on repeat listens, it doesn't feel like selling out to me at all. The sound design and tones chosen across these tracks have created a diverse yet cohesive array of some of the best designs of daniel's so far and we've only heard half the album. I also think the weeknd track was extremely comforting and warm and not nearly as boring as like, Black Smoke or Love In The Time Of Lexapro, which were the "singles" from the last album era. Maybe I just have shit taste but I just don't get the hate train here, I've been loving this shit, I merged them into one playlist and I'm ready for the last 9 tracks.

• Like 8
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, Bubba69 said:

what the fuck kind of drugs are you guys on?

probably Nun

I think he's a great artist, love his older and new stuff and i can't wait to play this one

• Haha 1

Yikes that weeknd collab sure comes out of left field. I can only understand it in the context of the album's theme (of like, hopping between radio stations) but even then I feel like it could have been executed more cohesively... Like if it was done a bit like the "Loving You" sample on The Orbs Huge Ever-growing Pulsating Brain... Kinda fading in and out... Or even if it was treated like Lopatin's own Eccojams... It might have for in better... 

Tbh I liked the rest, especially the last track, has some Enya vibes (which I don't think is a bad thing). 

digging the new tracks. there's a strong emotional core that's complex and dynamic, with the music erring sometimes on the side of counterpoint and rich harmony and other times on the side of drones and loops. there's a baroque sensibility to it all that i love, it's so elaborately and lovingly crafted, yet at the same time it sounds honed and sleek. cheese has always been part of OPN's image, that post-ironic emotional manipulation is his trade, he distorts narratives and makes new ones from the distortion.

for me it works really damn well. there's no other artist that can transport me to the weird, funny, breathtaking, sad places that he does. there's a strange humor and warmth in his alternate universes, a candidness beneath the "digital gloss," because his music doesn't think twice before stepping outside what is conventionally "tasteful" according to the zeitgeist. it sounds beautiful and that's enough.

it's not a revolutionary idea at all, the mishmash of anachronistic genres/ideas/narratives, but he executes it masterfully. so stoked for the second half of the album.

/gushing

Edited by BelacquaShuah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BelacquaShuah said:

digging the new tracks. there's a strong emotional core that's complex and dynamic, with the music erring sometimes on the side of counterpoint and rich harmony and other times on the side of drones and loops. there's a baroque sensibility to it all that i love, it's so elaborately and lovingly crafted, yet at the same time it sounds honed and sleek. cheese has always been part of OPN's image, that post-ironic emotional manipulation is his trade, he distorts narratives and makes new ones from the distortion.

for me it works really damn well. there's no other artist that can transport me to the weird, funny, breathtaking, sad places that he does. there's a strange humor and warmth in his alternate universes, a candidness beneath the "digital gloss," because his music doesn't think twice before stepping outside what is conventionally "tasteful" according to the zeitgeist. it sounds beautiful and that's enough.

it's not a revolutionary idea at all, the mishmash of anachronistic genres/ideas/narratives, but he executes it masterfully. so stoked for the second half of the album.

/gushing

Not a fan, but great description.

I don't know, I'm still liking this, I think maybe this is him doing his take on Yes Genesis? Feels like that for some reason. Fuck knows, pop music doing interesting shit is A-OK in my book.

Very sad you guys didn't get more of the electronic knob wankery that was expected though. ?

edit: the weeknd track is a bit much, I must confess.

Edited by Silent Member