IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never

Super worried that I've now already heard half the album and don't like any of it. Also seems unusual for an artist to pre-release so much in a short space of time. Maybe the night suite will have some Rifts vibes. Then again, probably not.

First world problem.

Also @mcbpete Hasn't 2020 been a scary enough year already? Nobody needs Babylon.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, springymajig said:

Wait... What? I'm confused, is the rapping on Weather Channel by The Weeknd or whoever Nolanberollin is?

Nolanberollin is the type of rapper that makes Lil B sound like some sort of rap deity in comparison. A based god if you will.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, fumi said:

Super worried that I've now already heard half the album and don't like any of it. Also seems unusual for an artist to pre-release so much in a short space of time.

current trend.

the avalanches have released 6 singles (with another coming later this week) from their new album which comes out in december. smashing pumpkins have also released 6 singles with the album dropping next month. and surprise surprise, it's all shite.

but i do like (most of) the new opn stuff.

51 minutes ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

current trend.

the avalanches have released 6 singles (with another coming later this week) from their new album which comes out in december. smashing pumpkins have also released 6 singles with the album dropping next month. and surprise surprise, it's all shite.

but i do like (most of) the new opn stuff.

I really want to like it. I've been listening to both suites all day. Still trying to find those little moments of gold amid all the utter mehness. Is that even a word? I don't know.

I'm curious, I didn't dislike the singing on Age Of but I did find it kinda weird. My faves of his have been R Plus Seven, Replica, and Garden of Delete.

But I'll give it a shot

Looks like this'll prob be my last opn purchase. Age Of was weak for me, and this is much of the same but worse. Hes gone and done a Machinedrum.

"Daniel, dont lower yourself to the level of the mainstream.!"

"Lisa maybe if I'm part of that mainstream I can help steer it in wise directions"

Download from Bleep. Second half the album much better (IMO). Too earlier to make a final judgement but these later pieces lean slightly more (dare I say it), to earlier OPN. Second half of "Tales From The Trash Stratum' is awesome. 'Wave Idea' is also a fine piece.

I almost wish I'd never heard the earlier released tracks now as it all works better as a complete album listen. Even the latter vocal track 'Lost But Never Alone' sounds okay with its 80s glam rock guitar sample . 'Cross Talk IV / Radio Lonelys' has that Synclavier sample from Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' hidden away there too.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, fumi said:

Download from Bleep. Second half the album much better (IMO). Too earlier to make a final judgement but these later pieces lean slightly more (dare I say it), to earlier OPN. Second half of "Tales From The Trash Stratum' is awesome. 'Wave Idea' is also a fine piece.

I almost wish I'd never heard the earlier released tracks now as it all works better as a complete album listen. Even the latter vocal track 'Lost But Never Alone' sounds okay with its 80s glam rock guitar sample . 'Cross Talk IV / Radio Lonelys' has that Synclavier sample from Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' hidden away there too.

So he pulled an M83?

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

solid album in whole, the 2nd half is great. would love a full nate boyce shredding x opn record. Hopefully we get a couple EPs again after this.  
 Dont mind this sound at all, refined GOD x Ageof sound, tight production, can see why soyboys dont dig it. Rifts and especially Russian Mind are all time but these new records are good fun.  From what i gather it was made more so at home in sketches and finished in the studio post hard lockdown and it does sounds a bit like that, thats cool with me, maybe less pressure to do it this way over hiring an airbnb and watching titantic on repeat.  feels more pulp opn, the right opn

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, fumi said:

Second half is definitely solid, I too think Tales From the Trash Stratum (the track from the teaser!!) and Wave Idea are excellent. It sounds much better as a complete album and I love the whole post apocalyptic drug trip tuning into to radio stations vibe it has going on. At least that’s the vibe I get. 

I think the released tracks sound a lot better in context. The Weeknd collab track doesn’t do it for me but the little cheesy synth towards the end is great. Lots of little gems hidden throughout. 

OPN will never be my favorite artist but damn if he doesn’t keep me intrigued. And when he strikes a chord with me he really strikes a f’n cord. It just takes wading through some dense  and odd stuff to get there. 

good album, definitely better than Age Of and Garden of Delete for me.

• Like 1

i was very surprised by the second half. the placement of overly airbrushed track No Nightmares at the end of the first half of the album feels ironic and makes sense now, given the harsher textures and more erratic structures that follow.

there are some genuinely funny moments, like the end of Imago, with the looped bitcrushed sample archly enveloping tender waves of midi chamber music. you can practically hear Lopatin laughing in the background. he's quite the droll

the second half, especially in relation to the first, sounds like the seedy underbelly of a subtly unbalanced consciousness pretending "normality." coming off a big Lynch binge, i'm keen on this narrative conceit. ?

Edited by BelacquaShuah