IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never

6 hours ago, fumi said:

Download from Bleep. Second half the album much better (IMO). Too earlier to make a final judgement but these later pieces lean slightly more (dare I say it), to earlier OPN. Second half of "Tales From The Trash Stratum' is awesome. 'Wave Idea' is also a fine piece.

I almost wish I'd never heard the earlier released tracks now as it all works better as a complete album listen. Even the latter vocal track 'Lost But Never Alone' sounds okay with its 80s glam rock guitar sample . 'Cross Talk IV / Radio Lonelys' has that Synclavier sample from Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' hidden away there too.

I’ll listen to it later hopefully I’ll like it more than the midday suite...

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 12:47 PM, mcbpete said:

At least there's nothing like this is on this one (hopefully)

Well, turns out No Nightmares fits the bill perfectly. I'm enjoying the rest of the album though, but that one I instaskip the first 3 minutes.

Edited by Silent Member

I like this!  Probably won't wind up being top tier 0PN for me but a nice surprise after not being super into Age Of and only being luke warm on the recent soundtrack work.

GoD and R+7 are my faves because i really liked how challenging they were for me at first.  I couldn't get into Age Of but appreciated how he was trying to take another leap on that album.  This seems a little less ambitious than his past 3 albums and a part of me feels a little let down by that but that's ok.  in time i'll probably be happier with a safe but quality album than an ambitious but flawed album like Age Of was

I really like this now. I was initially quite critical of the early pieces and judged them too quickly (something I have been guilty of on more than one occasion). 

To me, this album feels like a time when you might be driving through the desert. Maybe Mojave?  It's pretty warm and there's a long drive ahead of you. Later, once the sun has set, it will be cold. You'll have to wind up the windows and keep your eyes on the road.

You have been turning the dial endlessly on the radio looking for something without really knowing what.

Then somehow, you find a radio station but something's not right. It's like an alternate 1980s where the music you remember has morphed into something that's somehow uneasy. A little darker and blurred around the edges. A decade of music that never was and never could be.

Although it has traces and flourishes of the 80s you remember, it's a parallel world that you know never existed. So how can you be hearing it?

• Like 1

ha all these mixed OPNions here so i decided to give myself a treat and get the album

just having my first listen and i enjoy it alot so far ?

also just got the new actress album and don't have to work, having a great day ⛷️

• Like 6

Playing again. Can confirm it’s total bonkers. This was forged from the furthest corner of what is known as ‘left field’. It’s also a bit ‘camp’....

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Normally with a new release I'm hyped for (and I'm obsessed with OPN) I'll play the shit out of any early singles/songs in advance of the album coming out.  And then subsequently ruin that track in context of the album because I've heard it too much... I still skip Reach For The Dead on BoC's Tomorrow's Harvest for example due to this (and it's a plenty fine track) and how long ago was that released now?  7 years?

I knew this album was coming out but I haven't had ANY time to listen to anything... too busy at work.

Have listened to this now a few times and I'm enjoying it - I'm able to take in the whole thing without any muddled preconceptions of wanting to skip tracks - it's just new OPN.  I'm still undecided whether I like it before but having an unspoiled and more pure listening experience is amazing.  I need to ignore the marketing more...

Edited by xfxf
  • Like 1

yea, this is bad..Age Of had exactly what I was looking for - abstract ideas and all that sure but the songs on that one I still go back to, I get that this one is more of a experience to listen in 1 go but just not doing anything for meh..

I don't think any OPN has gelled for me first listen (or even first few listens), not even the earlier stuff which was easier to digest.

Hearing alot of R + 7 in the back half, which is a good thing since I consider that my favorite album of his. I love all the Cross Talk tracks, they help tie the album together. Gets kinda melancholy towards the end, except Wave Idea which is really stunning and my easily favorite track he's done since Chrome Country.

What a weird guy! 

Edited by Friendly Stranger

yo, this album is fucking good!

second half is very replica/r+7/uncut gems ost for those who were worried.

i still can't get into that one weeknd tune though, and i don't think i ever will, but it's cool cos everything else is rad.

Edited by Kennylogg Bubblebath

Gave the whole thing a listen and, as a whole, it feels very much like a mix of Age Of and R+7, leaning more towards R+7. Whether it's as good as R+7 is hard to say on first listen. 

Also, it BLOWS MY MIND that you all have a problem with the weeknd track (as far as I'm concerned, totally innocuous, poppy new age track, can't distinguish it stylistically from any of the other vocal tracks, in fact I can't even tell which vocals are by the weeknd and which are by lopatin himself) but almost no one has a problem with that god awful Nolanberollin section :wtf:

• Haha 1

I ‘think’ I quite like the weeknd track, I was just plugged into my phone without checking tracks were playing. There are definitely some great tunes on here but then it seems to go to the wacky twilight zone world lol.

The album this track is taken from is on the wall in Dan's Studio. Give Enya's vocals the OPN treatment and this sounds eerily like the vibe I get from parts of Magic Oneohtrix Point Never.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nolanberollin is done pretty quickly, weekend keeps wailing for 3/4 of the track

30 minutes ago, springymajig said:

Gave the whole thing a listen and, as a whole, it feels very much like a mix of Age Of and R+7, leaning more towards R+7. Whether it's as good as R+7 is hard to say on first listen. 

Also, it BLOWS MY MIND that you all have a problem with the weeknd track (as far as I'm concerned, totally innocuous, poppy new age track, can't distinguish it stylistically from any of the other vocal tracks, in fact I can't even tell which vocals are by the weeknd and which are by lopatin himself) but almost no one has a problem with that god awful Nolanberollin section :wtf: