Jump to content

Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never


Recommended Posts

I ordered this tape and my money left my bank and never arrived at either PayPal or Ochre. After 4 phone calls and loads of emails sending me back and forth I got tired of caring about the 20$ but I do wonder where my money went

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, logakght said:

I do miss pre-mainstream OPN tbqh

the fact that pre-mainstream OPN ended up becoming mainstream still baffles me honestly. i mean like not for any fault (he's a talented producer & clearly puts a lot of thought into this stuff), but just because his early work still feels way too weird to suggest someone who would ever get beyond "faceless electronic musician with a cool name that indie kids are into"

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

the fact that pre-mainstream OPN ended up becoming mainstream still baffles me honestly. i mean like not for any fault (he's a talented producer & clearly puts a lot of thought into this stuff), but just because his early work still feels way too weird to suggest someone who would ever get beyond "faceless electronic musician with a cool name that indie kids are into"

underground noise artist gone rogue

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

the fact that pre-mainstream OPN ended up becoming mainstream still baffles me honestly. i mean like not for any fault (he's a talented producer & clearly puts a lot of thought into this stuff), but just because his early work still feels way too weird to suggest someone who would ever get beyond "faceless electronic musician with a cool name that indie kids are into"

Memes helped him. Honestly, I think OPN post Replica is overrated. Not saying it´s bad, but I don´t listen to any stuff other than his ambient work, which I still believe is unrivaled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, logakght said:

I don´t listen to any stuff other than his ambient work, which I still believe is unrivaled.

yeah his early stuffs definitely have a certain je ne sais quoi to them, a real alien quality that only certain aeshtetic forms can evoke in me. there does seem to be a conscious move away from that over the course of his career towards deconstruction of more "human" concepts (which i imagine was intentional. he talks in some old interview about not just wanting to be that guy channeling magical abstractions his whole career). which might be why i feel like r+7 is his most important album (so far?), if not the one i actually list to the most - it's at that sweet spot in the transition, approximating humanity while still having an intense otherworldly energy for me

it's also a nice metaphor for how conscious development starts feeling a lot less linear after a certain point. when you're a kid your awareness grows as a steady progression. then at a certain point you have some kind of spiritual revelation which seems like the culmination of all that - you fall in love for the first time, you move out on your own, you pop molly at a drone show on a lark. you wonder, "how could it progress from here?". Well, it doesn't. you stop moving linearly. You move off in some other direction. you become more pragmatic. you lose sight of the spiritual revelations you once had, but in turn you gain practical knowledge. You realize that life is not single building sequence but a series of epochs, each with their own distinct highs & lows

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have Rifts as a 3xCD version, haven't liked anything else. I've bought R Plus Seven and Garden Of Delete from Bleep sales, but have probably listened to them three times at the most. Rifts, too many to count. The BRITS track with The Weeknd is just... pop, vaguely synthy, evoking nothing.

Edited by dcom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

You realize that life is not single building sequence but a series of epochs, each with their own distinct highs & lows

Yeah, different epochs, let's say : Ecco, Harvest, Excess and Bondage ! :dadjoke:

(Magic OPN totally eclipsed Age Of imho, it really feels like Age Of was a draft of what would come next but I love the imagery of that album !)

 

Edited by Stock
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Magic OPN was in my top five from last year. It obliterated Age Of which (IMO) was an embarrassment to his name.

The early stuff still has the edge though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i wouldn't really call new opn mainstream, though, honestly. none of his albums post-Replica has reached the Billboard Top 200, probably because to most people the music is still too "weird."

his newer stuff definitely channels the uncanny in a way that's unsettling even when it's pretty. it's hard to put a finger on. to me a lot of it plays like a "pleasant" scene in a Harmony Korine movie; it becomes loaded with a bunch of different, contradictory signifiers that all kind of settle in a subtle malaise, and you're not sure where to place your judgment.

in the album artwork for Magic, the last little piece included is a melting green rectangle that reads, "ocTpaHeHHe," which translates to defamiliarization, estrangement. i think it's fair to say that his new music does evoke and address the mainstream but without ever really assimilating.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, chronical said:

but I do wonder where my money went

Thanks! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First listen today. It's nice. Kind of inoffensive. Some saccharin moments. Lot of power balladish guitars creeping in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2021 at 11:47 AM, BelacquaShuah said:

i wouldn't really call new opn mainstream, though, honestly. none of his albums post-Replica has reached the Billboard Top 200, probably because to most people the music is still too "weird."

his newer stuff definitely channels the uncanny in a way that's unsettling even when it's pretty. it's hard to put a finger on. to me a lot of it plays like a "pleasant" scene in a Harmony Korine movie; it becomes loaded with a bunch of different, contradictory signifiers that all kind of settle in a subtle malaise, and you're not sure where to place your judgment.

in the album artwork for Magic, the last little piece included is a melting green rectangle that reads, "ocTpaHeHHe," which translates to defamiliarization, estrangement. i think it's fair to say that his new music does evoke and address the mainstream but without ever really assimilating.

This really nails it. "No More Nightmares" and its associated video is as close as he's ever gotten to full pop and if you just put it on in the background, it could be a kawaii little monkey adventure. A closer look reveals it to be an Old Testament fever dream with a donkey's jawbone and Abraham willing to sacrifice Isaac. I don't buy physical bits anymore but he tempts me the most because of all the little hidden treats. I appreciate you passing along the "estrangement" Easter egg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 9:09 AM, chronical said:

I ordered this tape and my money left my bank and never arrived at either PayPal or Ochre. After 4 phone calls and loads of emails sending me back and forth I got tired of caring about the 20$ but I do wonder where my money went

You lost out on a bit more than 20 my friend! 
image.png.37d5ad9ec183a3be3764e74e1387dacc.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

The more I listen to this album the more I can't help but agree with the criticism levied towards it... It's a shame the direction OPN has started to go in. Particularly, what spooks me the most is that this was his most predictable record to date. It makes sense for him to have made this after Age Of. Whereas every record before was him toying with sounds he had never used before. The sample chops of replica, to the sleek retro-futurism of r+7, to the dark hypergrunge of garden of delete, to the cult like cyber-rnb of age of.. None of it sounded like what came before it. This is the first album where I can understand exactly the progression between the albums. It disappoints me in retrospect and I worry for his musical future. 

 

However, on the bright side, other artists have been picking up the slack and continuing some of OPN's past strains of music incredibly well. In particular I want to point to 2 specific albums for fans who'd like to hear more.

First off, Maxwell Sterlings gorgeous new record which is his most polished to date. It sounds an incredible amount like r+7 and is amazing in it's own right. In my opinion it takes the sounds OPN toyed with on that record and pushes them even further into the realms of psychedelia. A must-listen for anyone itching for that 2013-2014 OPN sound. 

 

Another record I'd like to recommend is James Ferraro's latest installment of his "Mirai" series. Ferraro is good friends with OPN, and their sounds have seen parallels at many points in eachothers respective careers. This record in particular sounds incredibly similar to Garden of Delete, with similar sounds laced throughout. If you don't believe me, listen to "mutant standard" and then listen to "x."

https://jjamesferraro.bandcamp.com/album/terminus

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...